Thread: Bridal Veil Falls - 07/14/12

Blog Entries

Bridal Veil Falls - 07/14/12

My group of 12 (including 6 2nd-time noobs) planned on rappelling this Saturday. However, we were hoping for a bluebird day. Alas, it did not happen. It rained steady throughout the day, with the occasional on and off downpours! We evaluated our environment and decided that it would still be a good day to do it! And we were right!

We tried setting up a new technique with the GoPro to capture us rappelling from a higher 3rd perspective. It worked - sorta. We mounted a 2nd GoPro to a fixed line anchored from a bush on top of the falls to a rock on the bottom, with a 6mm-pull cord attached to it which was controlled (raised and lowered) from Jeff at the top. We learned that we needed more weight on the GoPro to lower it...lesson learned for next time. But the views from this fixed line turned out to be pretty good! However, the rain got in the way for a view shots so we didn't use all of the footage from it.

We brought a 200ft rope, and that rope was not long enough to do the right side LDC, which we wanted to do...(next time!). The stronger flow will require at least a 250ft rope to rap.

Anyways, enjoy the vid!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Dang it, how many times is that for you now? One day.......
    Life is Good

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Dang it, how many times is that for you now? One day.......
    Thanks! Just a few now. Btw, we are going to head back down in a few weeks and rap the top tier (haven't done that one yet...) as well as the right side of the falls on the lower tier. Interesting in joining us? Now is your chance!
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Interested??? Of course! PM me and let me know the details. I have ropes.
    Life is Good

If your interested in more company, I don't live too far away! I've got ropes, gear, know-how, and such as well! Hint *cough* hint... But, really I want to crash that party...

Blog Entries
    Sure guys, I'll send ya a PM probably tomorrow with details.

It's a good one!

So far I got 4 going ((myself, Jeff (our video creator), and 2 other friends)) from my group, Scott card, and Dan. You two are welcome to bring a guest or two if you'd like.

So this is turning into a open invite - I got space for 3 more members, if you're interested and want to hang out with my group of late-20yr old guys. Hehe
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

That's awesome! And you guys followed what I always say is the first rule for rappelling in waterfalls: "Head down so you don't drown."
    --Cliff

Cliff and his fiance Nancy, me and my wife Jenny, and Dustin all rapped both tiers of Bridal Veil Falls this morning. We left an anchor on the lower tier on the left side facing down canyon (around where you guys rapped). The top tier has an anchor that may need to be replaced in the near future, but was good enough for us. You'll want that 250 foot rope for that rappel too, to the bottom is about 215 ft I think. It's the perfect amount of water right now. Lots of fun. No pics, my waterproof camera bit the dust a bit ago, but it's a lot of fun right now. Highly recommended.
    - Gavin

Also, for all you who don't have a rope longer that 200 ft, you could still rap down the upper tier, but it puts you on this shelf you have to climb down off of (you have to traverse over a ways before a good spot to get down is available, or you could rig another 20 foot rap off that shelf). It's not a tricky or dangerous setup, just quicker and nicer with a longer rope. Happy rappelling
    - Gavin

Nice dude! Yeah with a little weight on the rope I can see how that slack will go away and get a better shot. Looking good!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Nice dude! Yeah with a little weight on the rope I can see how that slack will go away and get a better shot. Looking good!
    Well we are a bunch of amateurs trying to make it look professional...haha. We're no Dan Ransom - that's for sure. Ha ha. But we try anyways.

Thanks for the compliments!
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"