Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ascention Kit

Hey, there's some new kids on the block...just saw the new Petzl Croll and Basic at the OR show in SLC. Wow, so James Bond in their miniature glory. Check 'em out:

Attachment 57407

Attachment 57408

Old Croll and Basic : 130g and 135 g
    New ones: 90 g each

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Hey, there's some new kids on the block...just saw the new Petzl Croll and Basic at the OR show in SLC. Wow, so James Bond in their miniature glory. Check 'em out:

Old Croll and Basic : 130g and 135 g
    New ones: 90 g each
    Saw them too - awesome! really streamlined them. Available next spring.

Tom

I have to wait that long?!?!?

Its nice that petzl took a word from the cavers about the croll wearing through the top plate from muddy ropes. Looks like they added a steel insert for longer life. I was just contemplating that problem the other day. the answer is on its way... Reduced weight and bulk as well AWESOME!

P.s.

To contribute to the OP...

I do a fair amount for tree work and have learned many alternative methods for ascending ropes. There are a million ways to skin this cat.

If you are going to use cord for ascending, use an eye to eye cord instead of a prusik loop and learn either a VT or a distel hitch. They are faster and easier to tie, release more easily, and they don't work their way tight like a 3 wrap prusik will. If you can set up with a micro pulley to tend some slack, you'll learn that ascending on cord isn't that unpleasant. If you have to ascend with extra weight you can set up a traveling 2:1 on the rope very easily with minimal gear that will allow you to receive assistance from the ground. Im headed out of town for a bit of fishing and climbing in the Windrivers (be jealous), but if I get some time next week I'll do some photos for demonstration purposses.

Tip from a tree guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    P.s.

To contribute to the OP...

I do a fair amount for tree work and have learned many alternative methods for ascending ropes. There are a million ways to skin this cat.

If you are going to use cord for ascending, use an eye to eye cord instead of a prusik loop and learn either a VT or a distel hitch. They are faster and easier to tie, release more easily, and they don't work their way tight like a 3 wrap prusik will. If you can set up with a micro pulley to tend some slack, you'll learn that ascending on cord isn't that unpleasant. If you have to ascend with extra weight you can set up a traveling 2:1 on the rope very easily with minimal gear that will allow you to receive assistance from the ground. Im headed out of town for a bit of fishing and climbing in the Windrivers (be jealous), but if I get some time next week I'll do some photos for demonstration purposses.

Tip from a tree guy.
    Have I whined about this before???

Every person on rappel should have a way to ascending at hand, on them, whenever they rappel. Learning complex, efficient systems that require lots of specialized gear might be useful from an intellectual curiosity standpoint; however, I really think what canyoneers NEED is a SIMPLE system that uses minimal gear. SIMPLE because when using it say once a year, it has to be remembered from the murky past. Maybe a laminated setup card would be a useful complement to the actual gear required.

Anyway, yes, lots of useful tools out there. Good to see Petzl bringing their tools up to date. I'm probably sticking with my system: One Microtraxion, one tibloc, three over-the-shoulder slings, two newish Attache carabiners.

Tom

Tom, this is what I am saying. If people do a little home work they can find a system that is simpler, more efficient, lighter, and more suited to their individual needs. Im offering a little info to help folks uncomplicate their rigs.

The 2:1 I mentioned is a system that you can use fine on your own but, if needed, it allows people on the ground to assist you. I'll post a picture when I get back. It's really simple.

I always carry tiblocks, an eye to eye cord, 2 micro pulleys, and some 60cm slings. Sometimes a gri gri.

I use a light version of this for the effective 2:1. For ground aid, all you have to do is advance the ascender and the folks on the ground pull the rope to lift you. Repeat.

http://www.newtribe.com/documents/tip4.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Tom, this is what I am saying. If people do a little home work they can find a system that is simpler, more efficient, lighter, and more suited to their individual needs. Im offering a little info to help folks uncomplicate their rigs.

The 2:1 I mentioned is a system that you can use fine on your own but, if needed, it allows people on the ground to assist you. I'll post a picture when I get back. It's really simple.

I always carry tiblocks, an eye to eye cord, 2 micro pulleys, and some 60cm slings. Sometimes a gri gri.

I use a light version of this for the effective 2:1. For ground aid, all you have to do is advance the ascender and the folks on the ground pull the rope to lift you. Repeat.

http://www.newtribe.com/documents/tip4.htm
    Yes, but...

Your definition of "simple" and my definition of "simple" are worlds apart.

I don't think people should spend 48 hours training in all aspects of ascending using a wide variety of tools. I think people should spend an hour training with a simple system, then practice it a few hours as available, then call it good. And never use it.

Tom

Visitors found this page by searching for:

petzl basic vs croll