Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rained out of the Subway: She said YES!!!!!!!!!

Rained out of the Subway: She said YES!!!!!!!!!

Four years ago on my first attempt to get a Subway permit in the lottery, I succeeded and had a great trip through. During the summers of 2010 and 2011, I tried for multiple permits and got skunked every time. Finally success was reached again and I drew a permit for 4 for Saturday, July 14th! Of the group of 4, I was the only one to have gone through previously. The group consisted of my girlfriend Carrie, and our friends Andy and Bella. Excitement was high in the group as the weeks went by. Fires raged across the state with no rain in sight for the better part of 3 months. Temps soared in Zion to the 100s and high 90s in SLC. We needed rain, but this was perfect weather for a trip through the Subway without wetsuits.

It just wasn't meant to be . As the weekend approached, the forecast called for the first big storm of the summer...and the prediction kept getting worse and worse. We kept a positive vibe and decided that we would hit the trail head at 6am and hope that the storms wouldn't build until late afternoon as is typical. At the least, we could get a bit of a hike in away from the crowds of the main canyon and turn around before dropping down into the subway. On the drive from St. George we hit a little bit of sprinkling rain, but at the trail head things looked OK, with the clouds breaking up. By the time we split off of the Northgate peaks trail, the sun was shining on us and no threatening clouds were in view. Maybe...just maybe.

Just out onto the slickrock
    Name:  P1010144.jpg
Views: 4049
Size:  50.2 KB

Clouds are breaking up!
    Name:  P1010145.jpg
Views: 4012
Size:  65.0 KB

Beautiful view and blue sky poking through
    Name:  P1010149.jpg
Views: 3996
Size:  78.8 KB

We continued down the slickrock bowl, following the new route. As we proceeded, dark clouds began building right over the far ridge of the Subway. Boy was this going to ruin my plans. As we were approaching the crossing of Russel Gulch, I looked up and noticed the clouds were becoming closer, lower, and more threatening. I made the statement, "hey guys...I think we are about to be engulfed by that cloud..." Immediately, everyone raced to drop their pack and dig out the rain gear. No sooner than packs were on the ground, the sky let loose an unbelievable fury of rain. After finally getting the rain gear on, we stood and watched as our plans got literally washed away...and with them, my plans as well Well, now to figure out plan B.

It's raining? Carrie decides it is time to have a snack
    Name:  P1010151.jpg
Views: 3953
Size:  144.3 KB

After standing around for a bit and watching the ridge across go in and out of the clouds, it was time to turn back. Just as we all started the about face, Carrie says, "hey, I think I hear water running" to which Andy agreed. We decided to investigate. As we reached the gully off to the side of the high point we were on, we witnessed the beginnings of a flash flood! I had said the night before that if we got rained out, I wanted to at least go see a flash flood from a safe spot as I had never witnessed one. Well, guess we didn't have to look far! As we watched, the waterfall forming right in front of us kept growing. After a quick assessment of our location, I noted that we were on safe ground and if the need arose, a few feet away was easily accessible ground 15 feet higher. As we looked around, we could see more and more waterfalls! While in awe of our surroundings and the power of water being witnessed, I started contemplating how to alter my plans.

First sight of the flash flood beginning
    Name:  P1010152.jpg
Views: 3885
Size:  71.9 KB

Check out the waterfall!
    Name:  P1010154.jpg
Views: 3830
Size:  89.3 KB

And the others as well!
    Name:  P1010156.jpg
Views: 3739
Size:  52.5 KB

Well, hell, were watching a flash flood above Russel Gulch and the Subway, why not. I dropped my pack, dug through my dry bag and stuck it in my pocket. Andy asked if Carrie and I wanted our picture taken in front of the newly formed waterfall. Of course! A picture was taken and Carrie started to step away. I pulled her back, and as she turned around she found me down on one knee with a ring box open in my hand and I asked her to marry me. She was caught off guard. I succeeded in that aspect! She said "Yes! Of course!" and gave me a huge kiss! I am officially the luckiest guy in the world! I don't think many girls (if any) can say they got engaged in a flash flood . I guess it was fitting since in the summer of 2011 I had also taken Carrie hiking in the gorges of central New York during hurricane Irene. She puts up with a lot! At least there was one hell of a consolation prize to the day!

Photo in front of the newly formed waterfall
    Name:  P1010158.jpg
Views: 3747
Size:  98.5 KB

Will you marry me? "Holy crap! I can't believe it! Did you guys know?"
    Name:  P1010159.jpg
Views: 3703
Size:  108.1 KB

The happy engaged couple
    Name:  P1010161.jpg
Views: 4122
Size:  95.7 KB

Flooding
    Name:  P1010164.jpg
Views: 3618
Size:  101.2 KB

More flooding
    Name:  P1010167.jpg
Views: 3503
Size:  87.9 KB

Yet more flooding
    Name:  P1010169.jpg
Views: 3555
Size:  152.8 KB

After a few "engagement photos", Andy and I took a look to see if we could cross up onto the next ridge to see down into Russel Gulch. We could, and were treated to a crazy view of at least 7 or 8 large waterfalls pouring into the drainage. From our vantage point, we could see a point where Russel Gulch narrows and water was shooting off what appeared to be some sort of drop! After taking in the view, we headed back to his wife and my new fiance(!) and began the trek back out.

A cool waterfall
    Name:  P1010175.jpg
Views: 3500
Size:  134.4 KB

The girls between the two flows
    Name:  P1010179.jpg
Views: 3534
Size:  95.0 KB

Andy on the ridge with many falls just beyond
    Name:  P1010182.jpg
Views: 3473
Size:  74.1 KB

The view into Russel Gulch
    Name:  P1010184.jpg
Views: 3449
Size:  135.1 KB

Crazy waterfall!
    Name:  P1010187.jpg
Views: 3426
Size:  87.2 KB

A zoomed in view of the flooding in Russel Gulch
    Name:  P1010188.jpg
Views: 3363
Size:  98.4 KB

Time to head back
    Name:  P1010192.jpg
Views: 3332
Size:  101.8 KB

Beautiful views as the storm clears
    Name:  P1010197.jpg
Views: 3231
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  P1010201.jpg
Views: 3226
Size:  50.1 KB

Back at the trail head, the skies had cleared and beers were had in the parking lot. After some discussion, it was decided to stay away from the crowds and head to cave valley. Carrie and I had previously found two of the caves, but Andy and Bella had never been there. We showed them the caves and in the process continued scouting for Mother of Earth cave with no luck. After exploring for awhile, we headed to Oscars for burgers and beers. As we made the turn off the Kolob Reservoir Road, we noticed the storm was building once again.

The mummy marking the entrance to Cave Valley
    Name:  IMG_7084.jpg
Views: 3765
Size:  92.0 KB

Name:  IMG_7092.jpg
Views: 3222
Size:  63.8 KB

Pictographs in the first cave
    Name:  IMG_7097.jpg
Views: 3287
Size:  83.0 KB

More pictos from the first cave
    Name:  IMG_7106.jpg
Views: 3173
Size:  69.3 KB

Green guys
    Name:  IMG_7113.jpg
Views: 3127
Size:  84.5 KB

Photo with the monster looking pictograph
    Name:  IMG_7118.jpg
Views: 3038
Size:  78.1 KB

Love the view!
    Name:  IMG_7123.jpg
Views: 3121
Size:  94.3 KB

Pictos in the ceremonial cave
    Name:  IMG_7125.jpg
Views: 3087
Size:  81.2 KB

Altar and bones
    Name:  IMG_7135.jpg
Views: 3087
Size:  146.2 KB

View of the whole cave
    Name:  IMG_7140.jpg
Views: 3048
Size:  142.4 KB

And here comes the rain again
    Name:  IMG_7147.jpg
Views: 3028
Size:  44.0 KB

The plans for Sunday were to have a leisurely breakfast and then start heading north, stopping in Leeds to do Yankee Doodle and maybe Boltergeist. We left St. George with blue skies. As we headed north, the Silver Reef came into view and the mountains were enshrouded in threatening clouds. With that, Andy and Bella decided it was time to head home to their 2 year old. We said our goodbyes, and Carrie and l looked longingly at the mountains as another day of canyons was getting washed out discussing what to do. Neither of us were in a rush to get back to Salt Lake. We drove through the huge houses in Silver Reef and checked out the museum. The decision was made to head to the Parowan Gap on the way home since we had been once before in very strong light which bleached out many of the petroglyphs. Now we had our new DSLR and it looked like with the storms we may get some nice lighting! Sure enough, we arrive to extremely dark clouds on the other side of the gap. We took some photos and as we reached the end of the gap a stiff wind picked up and the temps dropped 20 degrees. Here we go again! A few more quick photos, and we hurried back to the car. We drove a couple miles down the road, snapped one more photo of the storm approaching and headed back to I-15. Within minutes we found ourselves driving through pounding rain.

Zipper-glyph
    Name:  IMG_7150_1_2_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 3017
Size:  118.6 KB

Large snake
    Name:  IMG_7162_3_4_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 3070
Size:  250.7 KB

Nice panel
    Name:  IMG_7177_8_9_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 2924
Size:  259.0 KB

Threatening skies
    Name:  IMG_7198_199_200_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 2910
Size:  63.8 KB

Threatening skies w/ boulder full of petroglyphs
    Name:  IMG_7231_2_3_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 2894
Size:  65.8 KB

Close up of the boulder
    Name:  IMG_7234_5_6_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 2858
Size:  108.7 KB

Storm building on the other side of the gap
    Name:  IMG_7243_4_5_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 2867
Size:  154.3 KB

Different view of a panel
    Name:  IMG_7246_7_8_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 2997
Size:  186.9 KB

One last engagement weekend photo in front of the snake panel
    Name:  IMG_7258_59_60_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 2794
Size:  105.1 KB

Here comes the storm!
    Name:  IMG_7266_7_8_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 2731
Size:  66.4 KB

Cool lighting across I-15
    Name:  IMG_7272_3_4_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 2755
Size:  49.6 KB

An overdone HDR version that looked fun
    Name:  IMG_7272_3_4_tonemapped_grunge.jpg
Views: 2854
Size:  84.6 KB

View further north
    Name:  IMG_7296_7_8_tonemapped2.jpg
Views: 2711
Size:  60.3 KB

Cool clouds
    Name:  IMG_7305_6_7_tonemappede.jpg
Views: 2610
Size:  41.8 KB

Black and White version
    Name:  IMG_7305_6_7_tonemappedB&W.jpg
Views: 2623
Size:  45.8 KB

Back to Salt Lake we headed with a car ride full of wedding talk. Mainly trying to decide if we can logistically pull off our wedding in the Zion area

Cheers to a great weekend, monsoon and all!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Awesome, AWESOME!, and Congratulations!!

Tom

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Nice Tr and Congrats on the engagement.

One question---you went to plan "B" which you apparently made up as you went.

What was plan "A"?

Name:  P1010167.jpg
Views: 3503
Size:  87.9 KB

Somewhere in there, the two biggest thumbs up ever?

Attachment 56558

I was looking forward to this TR and the photos of the rain but, DUDE! Well played! Congratulations and best wished for a wonderful future. Pop the question while Zion was flashing -- brilliant!
    Life is Good

Congratulations, and great pictures and trip report! I'll bet the flooding was amazing to watch.

yeah very good job. good thing you turned around that is a lot of water.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

That is SOOO cool! Congrats and awesome trip report!

So cool!! and congrats! That whole report was just awesome! Congratulations and best wishes
    - Gavin

Congrats, dude! Canyoneering proposals are totally the way to go! Also, that flooding looks awesome! Ever since I heard about them I've always wanted to see a flash-flood.
    --Cliff

congratulations! nicely done

Well played sir, well played....

Now plan a huge wedding in the back section of Kanarra creek, have Dave Mathews play as the band, airlift guest up to the plateau, and invite all of Bogley attend. It's the really the only way you can top this TR I think.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Thanks to all for the congrats and good wishes. It turned out to be quite the experience! As it seemed that my plans were destroyed I was presented with an arguably even better opportunity. Really glad everyone enjoyed the TR...took me forever to put together last night!

Sorry I didn't post these in the TR, but it was late and I was not feeling like dealing with the YouTube upload. Anyway, here are a couple videos I took with my Panasonic TS3...thank god for waterproof cameras in that rain! Sadly, my GoPro was in my pack and I didn't think of getting it out. The first vid is from where we were standing when the flood started and where I proposed. The second one is from the ridge that Andy and I crossed to in order to look down into Russel Gulch. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post

One question---you went to plan "B" which you apparently made up as you went.

What was plan "A"?
    Plan A was to propose somewhere in the canyon. Top of the list was at the pools between the last rappel and the Subway. Was going to decide on location based on atmosphere, crowds, etc. I had contemplated putting the ring on a carabiner, clipping it to me, and landing the final rappel on one knee, as Carrie always is the one to have me on bottom belay. As different as that would have been, I am thinking I still one up-ed it

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post

Somewhere in there, the two biggest thumbs up ever?
    There is all sorts of stuff in there... including a big thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Well played sir, well played....

Now plan a huge wedding in the back section of Kanarra creek, have Dave Mathews play as the band, airlift guest up to the plateau, and invite all of Bogley attend. It's the really the only way you can top this TR I think.
    Hmmm.... now you got me thinking! I take it you have the connection to DMB?

Speaking of that, it looks like we are leaning towards doing the wedding in Zion next fall...well Springdale! Any of you that live in the area know of good wedding vendors to recommend? Venues, Photographers, caterers, etc.? Any recommendations would be awesome! The way I see it, we now have an excuse to come down more often than we already do to look at stuff! Next trip is scheduled for about 3 weeks from now.

Cheers!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Awesome report. Congratulations!!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Chere'

Exellent! Congrats and I wish you the best together!
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Exellent! Congrats and I wish you the best together!
    X2
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

= you guys!