Thread: Autistic Man survives weeks lost in Escalante Desert

Blog Entries

Autistic Man survives weeks lost in Escalante Desert

7/12/12
    Salt Lake Tribune
    Link: Autistic Man survives weeks lost in Escalante Desert

"It was a long shot — Garfield County sheriff’s Deputy Ray Gardner recalled from training just weeks earlier that people with autism are often attracted to bodies of water.

Tasked to search for a missing 28-year-old Colorado man with autism with no idea where his last known location was, Gardner suggested that it would be best to search for William LeFever along the Escalante River.

"It was a shot in the dark to find William," said Garfield County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Becki Bronson.

But, just 5 miles from where the Escalante River dumps into Lake Powell, a Utah Highway Patrol helicopter spotted a man sitting in the river, weakly waving one hand toward rescuers.

Rescuers thought there was no way this could be LeFever.

"Sure enough, it was him," Bronson said. "He was so weak. He could not stand or walk."

Authorities believe LeFever started his trek where Highway 12 crosses the Escalante River, between Boulder and the town of Escalante. From that point to the spot where LeFever was found, the river travels about 70 miles.

LeFever told rescuers that he survived by eating frogs and roots while traveling down the Escalante River. The man was delirious and emaciated, but alive, after spending at least three weeks living in the wilderness."

Read more: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54...lante.html.csp

Amazing story!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Different story, same miraculous outcome...

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=21232739

If the KSL story is valid, it leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I'm having a tough time believing this. 3 weeks in the Escalante area and not dead of exposure? With the 100+ temperatures we've been seeing, coupled with lack of food..

And the sister only called authorities 2+ weeks after he went missing?

On Monday, the Garfield County Sheriff's Office was contacted by William's sister, who said her brother was missing. Deputies initiated a search along the river and were assisted by a Utah Highway Patrol helicopter.

Around 3:30 p.m. Thursday, searchers in the helicopter spotted LaFever sitting in the river waving his arms. Officials said he likely would not have survived another 24 hours.
    Too many book & movie deals being signed as a result of "accidents" in Utah. I find this one even more fishy, because I have an autistic son (age: 17) and I know how he'd react. I'd clearly not ask him to find a way home (after losing camping gear/money) 300+ miles away.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Gnarly, man. I've been all over that river and side to side over the years, and I've met some ate up people. Two solo hikers LOST in Coyote, for example. But never anyone like this. Maybe he started out with 30 extra pounds on him. There's a weight loss plan for ya, eh?

Well, it made the local news here in Denver this morning, and it appears legit. They had pictures of the guy, and he was jacked, all right. He was trying to walk to Page...should have stuck to the highway!

The "Will to Survive", very instinctive. Right On!