Thread: Beta change for deer trap / hidden canyon area

Beta change for deer trap / hidden canyon area

For those that like to keep their books and websites up to date. Two weeks ago we did hidden canyon from the top down. We accessed it from many pools rather than the long hike in. Once we got to the top of the Mesa we hit the trail earlier than expected. The deer trap trail no longer follows the initial drainage of hidden canyon that descended into the valley and then up the switchbacks with the cut in steps which is where you leave the trail for hidden. Instead it stays way up high to the south and follow the top portion of the canyon all the way around the upper cliff and. You now never climb the swift back steps so the entrance will be a little harder to find. I am using my phone to input this but I will try to attach a map later of where the trail is now. I don't know exactly where it leaves the cable mtn trail because we didn't come in that way. Anybody doing hidden needs to make sure they don't miss it and drop into grotto instead

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Here's what the two women you encountered said about your earlier post on this:

I'm pretty sure he's trying to say he thinks we were there to make sweet sweet love to each other. Maybe that's because they caught a glimpse of us taking naked pictures of each other.

I didn't GPS it, but this is my close guess of the new route. We did not see the exact location that it left the orginal trail or came back onto it, but I know it stayed up on the rim south and continuing west past hidden canyon. I checked and was told this is a permanent change to fight trail erosion.

Sounds like to me they needed to spend budget money so they don't lose it for next year. My son and I actually hiked out to deertrap via the East entrance about a month ago and the trail was in perfect condition. Especially since this has to be one of the most highly traveled routes in the park.
    Name:  deertrap0001.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  203.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Here's what the two women you encountered said about your earlier post on this:
    I wasn't in the very front so I'm not exactly sure what I missed.

Maybe I better start hiking in the front more. My comments were all in good fun so hopefully if you know who they were that they aren't offended in any way.

yah, i know them, and they were not offended at all, but very amused :)