Thread: Up Orderville from Englestead ?

Up Orderville from Englestead ?

We are going down Englestead Sunday and have a driver that will pull our first rope so we don't have to haul the 300' through. We are considering going back up Orderville to a car that we spot there in the morning at the lower parking are. We have already been down Orderville twice this year which is always fun, but the shuttle back to the vehicles is always long at the end of the day. Just curious if anybody knows about how it takes to get back out of the canyon. Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Hey Kody -

Did it once, but we went all the way back up to the start of Engelstead. Ugh.

Engelstead to Birch is about an hour, then maybe as much as an hour to the lower parking lot.

There is the one little upclimb there. It can be difficult, especially when flowing with water, and your height advantage on me would be a help. There are bolts at the top to belay the rest of the gang up.

Tom

I'm sure Tom's times are more accurate than what I remember (it's been a couple years since I did this) but suffice to say that it is a really easy hike. If you're skinny that obstacle shouldn't give you too much trouble. I weigh 250 and had some trouble getting through the hole on the right (LUC) side of the big boulder. Everyone else did it with no trouble, though. I don't remember it taking two hours to the lower parking lot, but like I said, it's been a while.
    --Cliff

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    I'm sure Tom's times are more accurate than what I remember (it's been a couple years since I did this) but suffice to say that it is a really easy hike. If you're skinny that obstacle shouldn't give you too much trouble. I weigh 250 and had some trouble getting through the hole on the right (LUC) side of the big boulder. Everyone else did it with no trouble, though. I don't remember it taking two hours to the lower parking lot, but like I said, it's been a while.
    Huh!

Looking upcanyon, i climbed the chimney against the left wall - the one where all the slimy water was flowing!

And those are times from my tragically flawed memory. My main memory is it took a LOT longer than I expected.

Tom

It'll work. It will probably take you an hour and a half to get to the lower lot I'd say. Haven't done it in awhile. It's hot at the end though. The obstacle wasn't a big deal as I recall and I remember Cliff pushing through that tiny hole, may or may not still be there.
    - Gavin

well the way the weather is looking you might have a nice down pour on your hike out. will cool you off but the mudd will suck. sounds fun
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Definitely sounds like we are going that way. We have a good climber as part of the group so shouldn't be an issue. The road getting out will be integrating I it rains. Thanks for the input

As a side note we may be having one or two spots be coming available for this Sunday