Thread: Wife Number 5

Wife Number 5

A bunch of friends and I headed down to Capitol Reef a couple weeks ago and hit the Wives. We split into two groups at the top and met at the bottom and we had tons of fun. My group did Wife 5 and we found it to be awesome! A whole lot of bang for your buck in there, with a short and easy approach and a very easy exit hike. I have a few pictures, though the quality is pretty miserable. I'd recommend the Wives for a trip to anyone (with the skills obviously). We had two noobs with us and they had a blast and can't wait to get out again!

Name:  531433_10100547866463189_371334697_n.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  129.3 KB

Name:  306779_10100547866597919_296714247_n.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  69.2 KB

This is me jumping through an arch.
    Name:  315402_10100547867042029_1771626371_n.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  81.6 KB

Name:  391459_10100547867261589_1341872987_n.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  71.0 KB
    --Cliff

2. Likes blueeyes liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Cool.

Wife #5 is my favorite!

Let's give our thanks to Malia for figuring out these sweet little canyons.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Let's give our thanks to Malia for figuring out these sweet little canyons.

Tom
    X2
    Deb

Where's some beta on these? Never heard of them. Or are they part of the secret handshake group. :)

bluugnome.com
    --Cliff

Very nice! And Wife#5 is 4B because?? Difficult anchor on rap 4?

Quote Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
    Very nice! And Wife#5 is 4B because?? Difficult anchor on rap 4?
    It's rated 4B? I didn't see that, and I definitely don't think it deserves that rating. There was an excellent deadman on that rap that, granted, a flash flood would take out, but it didn't have anything meriting a four rating in there IMHO. Though the Bluugnome guy (I don't know his name) did rate it a 4B. Interesting.
    --Cliff

Wife 5 rating

The canyon was given a rating of 4B by Luke, the Bluugnome guy, just to err on the safe side with regard to the level of anchor building skill it may take to replace the anchor on rap four. As we all know, the canyon rating system isn't flawless...so though it is probably not really necessary to rate this canyon a 4, isn't it best to make sure that people are adequately prepared?

Glad to hear you had fun. My favorite is Wife 3, followed by Wife 5. Did you get into any of the others? Next time you are in Capital Reef, check out the Shinobs too (on bluugnome)!

-Malia

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    It's rated 4B? I didn't see that, and I definitely don't think it deserves that rating. There was an excellent deadman on that rap that, granted, a flash flood would take out, but it didn't have anything meriting a four rating in there IMHO. Though the Bluugnome guy (I don't know his name) did rate it a 4B. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by msmnificent View Post
    The canyon was given a rating of 4B by Luke, the Bluugnome guy, just to err on the safe side with regard to the level of anchor building skill it may take to replace the anchor on rap four. As we all know, the canyon rating system isn't flawless...so though it is probably not really necessary to rate this canyon a 4, isn't it best to make sure that people are adequately prepared?

Glad to hear you had fun. My favorite is Wife 3, followed by Wife 5. Did you get into any of the others? Next time you are in Capital Reef, check out the Shinobs too (on bluugnome)!

-Malia

The other half of our group did Wife 3, and we were going to go back up the approach and switch, but it was really hot and we decided we'd rather just go swimming. I plan to get back to Capitol Reef. There are a lot of gems down there and it's about the closest Canyon Country to Utah Valley. That rating makes sense now that you explain it like that. Thanks!
    --Cliff

I'll post the trip report for Wife 3 if I can get pictures from Tony. Wife 3 was also a lot of fun. The first rap is a lot of fun and drops you into a fun grassy area. We also used a fiddlestick anchor on a short rap that went around a corner. Made the rope pull super easy.

Quote Originally Posted by dustinsc View Post
    I'll post the trip report for Wife 3 if I can get pictures from Tony. Wife 3 was also a lot of fun. The first rap is a lot of fun and drops you into a fun grassy area. We also used a fiddlestick anchor on a short rap that went around a corner. Made the rope pull super easy.
    Great idea to use the fiddlestick..this is a perfect place for it!

Thanks for the pics and everything...these look awesome and it looks like i'm gonna need to get to Capitol Reef!

Here's a whole thread on the subject:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...lestix-Anchors

Tom