Thread: Boulder Mountain Epic Cutthroats

Boulder Mountain Epic Cutthroats

First of all, I want to thank our resident fishing pro LOAH, who's info was extremely helpful in making this trip spectacular!

So I took the fam down to Torey this past weekend for apple days. The trip was very memorable. We decided to dedicate one day to fishing, and so Sunday morning we headed up to a remote lake on the North Slope of Boulder Mountain. The road was wicked, but I was able to get the Dodge right up next to the lake, which we had to our selves the whole day. I was hoping to land those epic Brookies the Boulder is famous for, instead I was surprised by Cutthroats that matched Brookie Beauty pound for pound. I forgot and left my wading shoes back at the motel room and was resigned to trailing dry flies 7 foot off a bobber with my St Croix spinning rod. Which was still plenty effective. I've seen lakes erupt with plenty of raising fish, but never to the caliber I seen here. If I could relate it to something, I would literally call it a trout boil. These are just pics from my phone I hope to upload many more from my camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

2. Likes oldno7 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SUITE!!!!!!!!

Some day I will make it down there for some fun fishin!

Nice, which lake Donkey?

Nice which Lake Donkey?

Quote Originally Posted by MY T PIMP View Post
    First of all, I want to thank our resident fishing pro LOAH, who's info was extremely helpful in making this trip spectacular!

So I took the fam down to Torey this past weekend for apple days. The trip was very memorable. We decided to dedicate one day to fishing, and so Sunday morning we headed up to a remote lake on the North Slope of Boulder Mountain. The road was wicked, but I was able to get the Dodge right up next to the lake, which we had to our selves the whole day. I was hoping to land those epic Brookies the Boulder is famous for, instead I was surprised by Cutthroats that matched Brookie Beauty pound for pound. I forgot and left my wading shoes back at the motel room and was resigned to trailing dry flies 7 foot off a bobber with my St Croix spinning rod. Which was still plenty effective. I've seen lakes erupt with plenty of raising fish, but never to the caliber I seen here. If I could relate it to something, I would literally call it a trout boil. These are just pics from my phone I hope to upload many more from my camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Murr View Post
    Nice which Lake Donkey?
    I'd like to say it was Blind, but the signs got way confusing when I got way up in there, and so we just fished at the first body of water we came to. I know I could probably find it again if I had to. I really thought as high as we were driving I was going to reach the Boulder Top before I found a lake, hell of a nasty road. So bouncy one of the underwires in my Mother and laws Bra snapped. Her you know whats, were sore for the whole drive home.

So bouncy one of the underwires in my Mother and laws Bra snapped.
    I see a new rough roughness scale ranking. It will be based upon what gauge bra underwire fails on the road.

Sounds like this was maybe a 12 gauger......

8. Likes MY T PIMP liked this post
    Hey alright! Nice job on the cutts.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

I don't think one can drive to Blind lake. I've backpacked there a few times in years gone by and I doubt they added/opened a road since then. I recall blind lake being bigger than the one in these shots too. HOWEVER...nice fish regardless of the lake! I'm jealous! I was in the area and finally got someone to go with me and we hit Five Mile Gulch on one of the days and boy do I wish I had taken a float tube and gone on the Boulder instead. Nice, and thanks for the report.

I recognize this lake. I went there last fall with a buddy. It is not Blind lake and yes the road is a very rough road. I made it up in my Grand Cherokee but most of the people up there were on ATVs. There are some nice Cutts in this lake as well as Brookies. Great looking fish.

I really don't know which lake it was, I just know it was some of the finest fishing I have ever seen. I've caught monster rainbows on powerbait, and a ton of really small Bookies on flies. But something about catching 15-17 inch cuts seems to trump them all, save a Yellowstone lake canoeing trip I took at 14 where I landed a 27" Cutthroat on a red and white Daredevil.

...............save a Yellowstone lake canoeing trip I took at 14 where I landed a 27" Cutthroat on a red and white Daredevil.
    Ah yes, Yellowstone lake before it was ruined by Mackinaw (lake trout)....just like nearby Fish Lake. not to mention Bear Lake, and Jackson Lake; all of which used to team with Cuts just like this one you were at.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDuke View Post
    Ah yes, Yellowstone lake before it was ruined by Mackinaw (lake trout)....just like nearby Fish Lake. not to mention Bear Lake, and Jackson Lake; all of which used to team with Cuts just like this one you were at.
    No kidding, and Flaming George put's a slot limit on Macks. It must be political, somebody in the State Gov. wants to see the World Record come back to Utah. I think the Lake Trout is equivalent to the invasive Snake Heads.