Thread: Pleaides - 6/23/12

Blog Entries

Pleaides - 6/23/12

As my friends call it - Pilates canyon, do it's correct pronunciation of Plee-a-dees, always a great great canyon to escape the summer heat of Moab.

We hit it up, while doing the Corona Arch Swing (see Hiking Sub-forum) we did Pleaides with a group of 10. We took 6 noobs to canyoneering through, and it took a total of 4hrs to do. It took awhile, but it was nice escaping the blazing heat of Moab @ 110F!!

The canyon doesn't disappoint - but beware, there were a TON of spiders and bugs in there when we went.

Jeff and his video edit - enjoy!

●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I love this canyon. 4 hours with 10 people is definitely quick!

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys! Definitely a great gem!
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I'm thinking about doing this canyon this weekend. How was the water temperature? I only own a 7mm full wetsuit. Should I leave it at home?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dustinsc View Post
    I'm thinking about doing this canyon this weekend. How was the water temperature? I only own a 7mm full wetsuit. Should I leave it at home?
    So the canyon starts at a elevation of 9000ft or so, so the water never gets warm. The only variable is the flow. Later in the season, sept to October, it turns into a trickle that will not get more then your knees wet.

However, wetsuit depends on how many people are going with you. The more people - bring a wetsuit. It's cold in there, especially with a canyon wind.

But when we went my 3/2mm shortie was just fine. The women were very glad for a wetsuit though.

If its a group of 4 and everyone is experienced, I would still say shortie wetsuits. 7mm, might be a little overkill in my opinion. But then again, it has rained quite a bit down there recently so the flows might be higher which would mean longer exposure to alpine water.

I would bring a 3 or 5mm however just for comfort though. I've done it without a wetsuit once and was fine in October. It was a trickle and barely got up to my knees from the splashing waterfalls.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Awesome! Jeff always does a sweet job on those videos.
    --Cliff

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    Awesome! Jeff always does a sweet job on those videos.
    Thanks man, he appreciates the praise! It inspires him to do more and figure new ways to stay fresh and interesting.

Speaking of vids, I'll be posting our rappel of Bridal veil this last Saturday. Turned out to be pretty good!
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Speaking of vids, I'll be posting our rappel of Bridal veil this last Saturday. Turned out to be pretty good!
    Awesome, can't wait to see it! Gavin and I have been meaning to get up there for a while.
    --Cliff