Thread: 2012.05.22 - Pine Creek

2012.05.22 - Pine Creek

Already some time ago, still I'm gonna write a little trip report...

On the 22nd of May, I was to meet Michael_WB at ZAC in Springdale, where we were gonna spend 9 days of canyoneering. I had already spend some time in the States, he just arrived from Switserland. When I arrived at ZAC, he had met Scott, who was one of his his canyoneering instructors the year before. He was gonna do Pine Creek with Jonathan and Kim. We decided to go together.

It was my 2nd time in Pine Creek, and it was as beautiful as the first time. I like the entrance below the bridge, up to the first rappel. Getting down into the canyon. A friendly canyon in my opinion, some nice variations, the cathedral area is beautiful and getting towards the end, things get more spectacular, and then those lovely last rappels... In between the canyon keeps entertaining me in its appearance. And, as a bonus, that fantastic smell of the dead deer.

Below some pictures of this great canyon, the great company we had, a great trip it was.

Name:  DSC07235.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  152.8 KB

Name:  DSC07237.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  110.5 KB

Name:  DSC07238.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  109.3 KB

Name:  DSC07239.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  100.2 KB

Name:  DSC07243.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  DSC07247.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  70.9 KB

Name:  DSC07248.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  DSC07249.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  97.2 KB

Yep, I couldn't resist to also include this picture. This was causing that stench of death... I think I recognize a leg...
    Name:  DSC07252.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  85.0 KB

Name:  DSC07257.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  101.8 KB

Name:  DSC07259.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  158.9 KB

Name:  DSC07261.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  DSC07263.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  109.2 KB

Name:  DSC07265.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  110.5 KB

Kim, Scott or Jonathan, if you wanna see the other pics as well, or wanna have these pic's in high-resolution, PM me, oke?

Grtz to all, hope to be back in Zion soon....

2. Likes blueeyes liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Where did Rappell picture 7257 come from i don't ever remember seeing that anchor on the wall and i have done pine close to 8 times now. Just not this year. Is it a new bolt. I remember going under that big boulder, not sure???
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru View Post
    Where did Rappell picture 7257 come from i don't ever remember seeing that anchor on the wall and i have done pine close to 8 times now. Just not this year. Is it a new bolt. I remember going under that big boulder, not sure???
    Yep, you are right, there is also a route below the rock. I took that one last time. The anchor is located in teh corridor just before the walls open up before arriving at the last 2 rappels.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maarten.1975 View Post
    Yep, you are right, there is also a route below the rock. I took that one last time. The anchor is located in teh corridor just before the walls open up before arriving at the last 2 rappels.
    It is a glue-in bolt that Brian Cabe and I put in to replace a POS about 10 years ago. About 3 weeks later, the path under the boulder opened up --- ha ha on us!

Tom

now that you mention it i do remember that a long time ago we there was an extra rap that is no longer there. that must be it. Thanks for clarification.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Nice! Really cool. How long is the last rap? Is it 90 or 100 feet. We are going to do Pine Creek soon and are going to take a 210 foot rope, pretty sure that'll do according to others, but I just wanna make sure.

Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar
    boryaa,

You found an old report, but Maarten and I were in Zion again last month as well :-) I can confirm that a 200ft rope is enough for PC, although the twice we went through there on this trip we used the new anchors on the last rappel, which drop into an alcove before downclimbing a little way to the usual final rap landing spot. There has also been a lot of debris build-up in general so 210ft is going to be OK for either route.

As always, life is made a lot easier using a rope bag, and *clearly* marking (i.e. ~4" of a contrasting colour) the centre of your rope. E.g. thread an through the anchor, pull til you reach the mark, toss bag, and if it hits the ground/water, you're good to go, either biner-block + single strand or simply double strand rappel down.

Have fun!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boryaa View Post
    Nice! Really cool. How long is the last rap? Is it 90 or 100 feet. We are going to do Pine Creek soon and are going to take a 210 foot rope, pretty sure that'll do according to others, but I just wanna make sure.
    210 foot rope?

Have you measured it recently? Ropes tend to shrink with use.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by boryaa View Post
    My 187ft rope made it double stranded down the final rappel.
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm