Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power of Prayer and Fasting

Power of Prayer and Fasting

I know plenty out there will dismiss this as coincidence, but this last weekend LDS church leaders called upon members to put special significance in their prayers and fasting toward the State of Utah's fire problems. I'm not aware if any other faiths did the same but very well may have. Anyways in as dry of a summer as it has been it's pretty ironic to see such a nice rainy day today. No matter how we got it, we can all agree it was sure some welcomed and well needed moisture. Thank You Lord!
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

2. Likes Byron liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

In 1994 we had a terrible drought in southen Utah. The local brethren called on the saints to fast and pray for rain. Several week later it finally rained - FWIW July is the start of the Monsoon season and we always get rain in the southwest. Everyone praised God and was happy.

The storms continued across the US causing death and great destruction throughout the Mississippi waterways. Farms lost, bridges gone, interstate shipping slowed to a crawl as the country was divided by high waters.

Were we to blame for the incredible loss of property and life? Did God choose our small communities over the greater good of the country? What about the saints back east praying for an end to the rains?

Sorry to piss on your parade, but it's Easier to believe in coincidence and good luck than blame ourselves for the unintended consequences of our actions!

FWIW, here is the actual statement that was read to those attending L.D.S. church meetings last Sunday.

"As requested by Utah Governor Gary R. Herbert, the Church is pleased to come together in prayer with other Utahns during this difficult time. We are mindful of those in Utah and neighboring states who have been impacted by wildfires. We encourage individuals, families and congregations to pray for the safety of firefighters, protection of lives and homes and favorable weather conditions to help control the many wildfires currently burning."
    Call it good luck or a blessing, we can at least agree that this little bit of rain is all good.
    Life is Good

7. Likes Byron liked this post
    Agreed, This rain is fantastic! And greatly helping our current water/fire situation.

Great post MY T PIMP
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

See if praying for snow in July works.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

11. Likes canyonphile, blueeyes liked this post
    Right now I'm praying for a sandwich and a beer.... I'll let ya'll know how that works out for me.

13. Likes Rob L liked this post
    I'm not religious, so I think it's all down to Karma. Or is that Kama Sutra, I get so confused with this hindu stuff.

Here at home it's unusually cool enough to turn the heating on. Next week I'm meeting Cheeseheads in Wisconsin

Hey guys I just picked up a sandwich and a beer for somebody but they didn't write their name.

16. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    See if praying for snow in July works.
    I have done this! And it worked.....

in my dreams.
    Chere'

Same fast was held here in Craig Colorado. We've been even drier than most of Utah, even well over twice as dry as the next driest year in the past 118 years when record keeping began.

Yesterday, even though a seemingly small 0.17 inches of rain fell, it was still the wettest day we've had since November 19 2011. It rained several places around here today and there is a pretty good chance of rain tomorrow.

Call it coincidence if you want, but it sure was impeccable timing considering that the same week the fast was held, the biggest rain in almost 8 months finally came.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Right now I'm praying for a sandwich and a beer.... I'll let ya'll know how that works out for me.
    Just a quick update.... the hot young stripper wife brought me a beer while wearing nothing but a smile.... buy I'm still waiting for my sandwich..... maybe I'm praying wrong or something?

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

21. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Did somebody pray for spam?

Iceaxe? Was it a spam sandwich you were hankering for? You need to learn to read the signs....

23. Likes blueeyes, REDFOX, BruteForce liked this post
    spammer has been banned for life..... still no sandwich....

Lap-Banned... No sandwich!

By banning said spam it make my well thought out comments look rather stupid.

I'm starting to become a believer.... my sweet daughter just brought me a smoked turkey an avacado sandwich... Mmmm so good....

I'm starting to become a believer.... my sweet daughter just brought me a smoked turkey an avacado sandwich... Mmmm so good....
    .....flattery in sandwich form. I foresee her asking you for something in the near future.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

hey our prayers must have gotten mixed in the mail. i got your sandwich, and you got my naked stripper.

Just a quick update.... the hot young stripper wife brought me a beer while wearing nothing but a smile.... buy I'm still waiting for my sandwich..... maybe I'm praying wrong or something?
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

29. Likes Don liked this post