Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Power of Prayer and Fasting

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    hey our prayers must have gotten mixed in the mail. i got your sandwich, and you got my naked stripper.
    Wife swap! Proof that God looks kindly on polygamy AND adultery!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Right now I'm praying for a sandwich and a beer....
    So much for your fasting...

When I clicked I expected a more pious thread, but all this talk about sandwiches and strippers makes me feel right at home. Thanks.
    Also this;

Name:  Prayer_logic.png
Views: 189
Size:  24.7 KB

5. Likes canyonphile, denaliguide, rockgremlin liked this post
    ^^^ Sooooooo true!

Blog Entries
    It's interesting - one guy posts his beliefs and how he feels about things, and then a few join in and nearly ridicule those beliefs. Some would call it "jesting", or "just teasing" but I prefer the better, fun word - "bigotry".
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    It's interesting - one guy posts his beliefs and how he feels about things, and then a few join in and nearly ridicule those beliefs. Some would call it "jesting", or "just teasing" but I prefer the better, fun word - "bigotry".
    Who let the party pooper in here?

Tell ya what -- you post your personal private beliefs on a public forum and you're just askin for all kinds of scrutiny and ridicule. How did you think it was to be received -- not everyone believes in God nor are religious.

I understand that a literal-believer has a good-versus-evil mindset that leads to them feeling that any non-believer is out to get them. And of course this black-and-white-world mindset makes it impossible for the believer to comprehend that the people don't believe the things they do actually have good or well-thought-out reasons for believing differently. From within that one-truth mindset any difference of opinion must be caused by the evil opponent. Anyone who believes differently must have been tricked or fooled by the evil-opponent, or they are in fact evil themselves.
    So of course anyone offering a different opinion must therefore be trying to trick or attack the believer. To mention the difference of opinion in front of a believer MUST be an attack! Must be bigotry!
    So, my question is; what do you have against my lord's sandwiches and strippers?

10. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I understand that a literal-believer has a good-versus-evil mindset that leads to them feeling that any non-believer is out to get them. And of course this black-and-white-world mindset makes it impossible for the believer to comprehend that the people don't believe the things they do actually have good or well-thought-out reasons for believing differently. From within that one-truth mindset any difference of opinion must be caused by the evil opponent. Anyone who believes differently must have been tricked or fooled by the evil-opponent, or they are in fact evil themselves.
    So of course anyone offering a different opinion must therefore be trying to trick or attack the believer. To mention the difference of opinion in front of a believer must, MUST be an attack! Must be bigotry!
    So, my question is; what do you have against my lord's sandwiches and strippers?
    ^^^this

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Who let the party pooper in here?

Tell ya what -- you post your personal private beliefs on a public forum and you're just askin for all kinds of scrutiny and ridicule. How did you think it was to be received -- not everyone believes in God nor are religious.
    Thanks for proving my point, btw.

Shocking, I didn't realize the were people who don't believe in a higher power, etc.

Sure, it's the internet, and anything goes. I get that. And you are welcome to cheat on your wife, and believe in what you want.

However, there are many other known agnostics, athiests on Bogley and they have, what do you old-timers call it - discipline. Tom (ratagonia), for example, doesn't jump in and throw out his bias on someone else's pro-belief/faith/God thread. I would think he has respect. Sure he doesn't agree with what others,or myself choose to believe in, and that's fine. But he has respect - that's the key difference. Catch my drift?
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Shocking, I didn't realize the were people who don't believe in a higher power, etc.

Sure, it's the internet, and anything goes. I get that. And you are welcome to cheat on your wife, and believe in what you want.

However, there are many other known agnostics, athiests on Bogley and they have, what do you old-timers call it - discipline. Tom (ratagonia), for example, doesn't jump in and throw out his bias on someone else's pro-belief/faith/God thread. I would think he has respect. Sure he doesn't agree with what others,or myself choose to believe in, and that's fine. But he has respect - that's the key difference. Catch my drift?
    If you're allowed to hate the sin and love the sinner, then I chose to respect the believer and disrespect the belief.

You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah you're right, I talk too much; I also listen too much. I can be a cold-hearted cynic like you, but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. You think what you want about me. I'm not changing. I like me, my wife likes me, my customers like me because I'm the real article. what you see is what you get.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    So of course anyone offering a different opinion must therefore be trying to trick or attack the believer. To mention the difference of opinion in front of a believer MUST be an attack! Must be bigotry!
    Interesting. It's interesting to me how you got that conclusion, when I was implying respect. If this was a Faith thread, or a do you believe in God thread, or what do you believe in thread - than anything goes. And I'm 100% fine with that.

However, Pimp started the thread with a Pro-belief stance. Something that, non-believers, simply can't resist, or am I wrong about that? Did you HAVE to enter the thread and post your comments - of course not. So obviously, you had a differing opinion and it HAD to be shared. Of course, you could of started a "COINCIDENCE OF PRAYER AND RAIN" thread and said whatever you want. And that would of 100% acceptable to say what you believe in.

Here's a great example: I love Iron Maiden. I watch a lot youtube clips with Iron Maiden. A lot of comments in the Iron Maiden clips, songs are all about how Iron Maiden sucks, they are old, whatever, etc. Did us Iron Maiden fans, ask for these people to join our conservations where they OBVIOUSLY knew that we were fans? Of course not. You know why? Cause they have no respect for each other.

I have friends who have chosen different beliefs over their life and we get along great. We respect each other and what the other one believes/chooses to follow/etc. We never imply that the other person is an idiot or make fun of them, or ridicule what they choose to believe. Go figure.

Ian, one of my best friends, is agnostic. He has been to my church many times when my friends have invited him too. He has also declined many invites as well. Whenever religion comes up he has his words and shares his thoughts, and never shares them in a condescending way. Visa versa.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Blog Entries
    You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah you're right, I talk too much; I also listen too much. I can be a cold-hearted cynic like you, but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. You think what you want about me. I'm not changing. I like me, my wife likes me, my customers like me because I'm the real article. what you see is what you get.
    Hurt you? That's quite the jump from, ridiculing someone's belief or as Don calls it "disrepect the belief". I didn't attack you personally. I'm defending someone's right to share what they believe in, without attack. Of course, you don't have to agree but do it without attacking or making the other person feel like an idiot for choosing those beliefs. That's the difference.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Let's clear the air and take a deep breath for a second. Maturity and respect also dictates that in the face of persecution that the persecuted not lash back with further insults and name-calling (Bigots). Nobody here wants to hurt anyone's feelings. The intent of this thread has been hashed out in the first page. This is the after party, and it includes me, Don and Iceaxe in the middle of the mosh pit seeing who can outwit who. Then you come in and drop a bunch of insults on us. It's a bummer. I don't think you're stupid, I'm not out to get anyone here. Just some innocent banter, that's all.

Still friends? <extending hand>

Hurt you? That's quite the jump from, ridiculing someone's belief or as Don calls it "disrepect the belief". I didn't attack you personally. I'm defending someone's right to share what they believe in, without attack. Of course, you don't have to agree but do it without attacking or making the other person feel like an idiot for choosing those beliefs. That's the difference.
    Google my quote dude.....

Interesting. It's interesting to me how you got that conclusion, when I was implying respect. If this was a Faith thread, or a do you believe in God thread, or what do you believe in thread - than anything goes. And I'm 100% fine with that.

However, Pimp started the thread with a Pro-belief stance. Something that, non-believers, simply can't resist, or am I wrong about that? Did you HAVE to enter the thread and post your comments - of course not. So obviously, you had a differing opinion and it HAD to be shared. Of course, you could of started a "COINCIDENCE OF PRAYER AND RAIN" thread and said whatever you want. And that would of 100% acceptable to say what you believe in.

Here's a great example: I love Iron Maiden. I watch a lot youtube clips with Iron Maiden. A lot of comments in the Iron Maiden clips, songs are all about how Iron Maiden sucks, they are old, whatever, etc. Did us Iron Maiden fans, ask for these people to join our conservations where they OBVIOUSLY knew that we were fans? Of course not. You know why? Cause they have no respect for each other.

I have friends who have chosen different beliefs over their life and we get along great. We respect each other and what the other one believes/chooses to follow/etc. We never imply that the other person is an idiot or make fun of them, or ridicule what they choose to believe. Go figure.

Ian, one of my best friends, is agnostic. He has been to my church many times when my friends have invited him too. He has also declined many invites as well. Whenever religion comes up he has his words and shares his thoughts, and never shares them in a condescending way. Visa versa.

The comment that started this tread sounds a lot like a "COINCIDENCE OF PRAYER AND RAIN" thread. Here it is quoted, with my highlights in bold to emphasis this point.

"I know plenty out there will dismiss this as coincidence, but this last weekend LDS church leaders called upon members to put special significance in their prayers and fasting toward the State of Utah's fire problems. I'm not aware if any other faiths did the same but very well may have. Anyways in as dry of a summer as it has been it's pretty ironic to see such a nice rainy day today. No matter how we got it, we can all agree it was sure some welcomed and well needed moisture. Thank You Lord!"

Yeah, he ended the post with his opinion by thanking his lord. But I don't see anything in that original post that would discourage a conversation on the topic. In fact it reads more like an invitation to discuss (which would make sense since the comment was posted on a public forum).

Additionally, I don't see the implication of respect in your earlier post. Again, in quotes:

"It's interesting - one guy posts his beliefs and how he feels about things, and then a few join in and nearly ridicule those beliefs. Some would call it "jesting", or "just teasing" but I prefer the better, fun word - "bigotry"."

That reads to me more like you are implying that any difference of opinion posted in response to Pimp's posting is ridicule and bigotry. Maybe you could have phrased things differently? Or included the word 'respect' or some sentiment about respect, if that was your implication...

If you want to share your opinion about god, or music, or strippers with sandwiches in a public forum why would you expect people who have a different opinion to just shut up and listen? If you want to talk to only people who agree with you there are plenty of Christian-only forums out there. I'm not on those forums attacking beliefs, I'm on a public forum discussing beliefs.

And your right; Iron Maiden IS a great example; I tend to think Iron Maiden sucks, does saying so become an attack or bigotry when I mention it after you have already mentioned you like them? Or is it just a difference of opinion and something we could further discuss by sharing what you like or what I don't like about them?

Blog Entries
    Let's clear the air and take a deep breath for a second. Maturity and respect also dictates that in the face of persecution that the persecuted not lash back with further insults and name-calling (Bigots). Nobody here wants to hurt anyone's feelings. The intent of this thread has been hashed out in the first page. This is the after party, and it includes me, Don and Iceaxe in the middle of the mosh pit seeing who can outwit who. Then you come in and drop a bunch of insults on us. It's a bummer. I don't think you're stupid, I'm not out to get anyone here. Just some innocent banter, that's all.

Still friends? <extending hand>
    The intent has been hashed out in the first page? I disagree, as this thread keeps popping up the top of the page (before I posted).

Sure I could of not said anything, you are absolutely right. I chose not to, in a pro-faith topic. Disrespect is something I don't handle well. Go figure. It's one of my weaknesses in life I suppose.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

The intent has been hashed out in the first page? I disagree, as this thread keeps popping up the top of the page (before I posted).

Sure I could of not said anything, you are absolutely right. I chose not to, in a pro-faith topic. Disrespect is something I don't handle well. Go figure. It's one of my weaknesses in life I suppose.
    Hmmmm I was kinda hoping that me and John Candy could get a giggle outta you. Man you're a tough crowd.

I just came across this on FB and it made me laugh.

Name:  422773_399417693420901_447954988_n.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  27.9 KB

23. Likes denaliguide, rockgremlin liked this post

and again in Family Guy format:

BTW I'm praying this thread will end soon as all the fun has been drained out of it.