Thread: Segers Hole Canyon aka "The Squeeze" July 1 2012

Segers Hole Canyon aka "The Squeeze" July 1 2012

We had Segers canyon first on our list about a week ago, but decided to first try Cable. Great canyon, but we literally "burned up" in 107F and ended up coming back home early. However, I still had my sights on Segers and couldn't let it go another few months or year.

This time, we went with 6L of water each (instead of 4), and got a 5 am start.

Name:  DSC03251.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  107.4 KB
    My wife decided to go back to the car for her 5.10s for better grip and water protection even though she knew she would lose a toenail again...

Name:  DSC03269.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  72.6 KB
    The trip was absolutely amazing, and is definitely my favorite canyon in the swell or north wash. (I hope to still try Zions this year).

Name:  DSC03309.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  91.1 KB
    Looking down into one of the semi-keeper potholes.

Name:  DSC03328.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  75.7 KB
    Only place where we got wet (up to our knees), just before the crux keeper pothole.

Name:  DSC03330.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  DSC03335.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  49.7 KB
    Looking down into the crux pothole, or the tyrolean traverse section. Little bit of water, but not much. There was no fixed rope or webbing, and we couldn't see the other bolt to clip into from this position or below. So, we decided to throw 3 potshots over and batman out. On the pull, each potshot independently came up and over the lip. Perhaps the other side was a gradual slope? Next, we went for the stick clip and hook method into a groove of rock when it started to rain on us. Wow, 0% chance of rain in the forecast, and now we are in a canyon we've never been in before. This caused quite a bit of concern, so we stopped "messing around" and threw the potshots back over, jerked the rope to get them to stick together, and quickly climbed out. Motivation. I wanted to leave some webbing or rope between the two bolts (that were now visible), however we were in hurry mode with the rain. And ironically, just after this section it never rained again.

Name:  DSC03367.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  118.8 KB
    Another pool of water that was avoidable.

The canyon was almost completely dry. We did take wetsuits, but they were not needed.

We did see a lot of bolt holes (someone selectively pulled them? I would rather have a bolt than a bolt hole scar). We were grateful for the bolts that were there. It would have been very challenging to do some raps without them. And someone had rigged a deadman that wasn't dead. Meaning, just a piece of webbing around a single rock? So, we fixed that.

It made for a really, really long day. Even after the crux, there is rap after downclimb after partner assist after rap after rap...we thought it would go on forever. What a blast!

Name:  DSC03381.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  69.4 KB
    Last rap into the spring below. You can easily avoid this also, but we jumped in for the swim.

And yes, my wife lost her toenail. Hoping to try the Adidas or something else soon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for the update

My buddies and I are heading down there this weekend. Glad to know the current condition.

Sounds like you guys had a ton of fun!

BURLY! THAT is hardcore.

AND you carried wetsuits?!? Wow. Bet they felt like 50lb weights by the end of the day.

We were there last week and figured we would drink 8 liters each in this weather. Did you guys run out of water? How was the hike back to the car?

I'm just wondering if we made the right decision (no to go). Hmmm.

Oh yeah, great TR and photos!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post

We were there last week and figured we would drink 8 liters each in this weather. Did you guys run out of water? How was the hike back to the car?
    We had enough water, but I think it would be close if you didn't have the cloud cover like we did. The hike out is easy. Much better than Cable Canyon. I wouldn't recommend doing that one in the hot summer...

You first have the spring to cool off in just before you hike back, and then you have Muddy Creek to follow.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    We had enough water, but I think it would be close if you didn't have the cloud cover like we did. The hike out is easy. Much better than Cable Canyon. I wouldn't recommend doing that one in the hot summer...

You first have the spring to cool off in just before you hike back, and then you have Muddy Creek to follow.
    From Hidden Splendor, then? Or from out in front, the Factory butte road?

How do you think the two compare?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    From Hidden Splendor, then? Or from out in front, the Factory butte road?

How do you think the two compare?

Tom
    We did it from Factory Butte. I haven't done Segers from Hidden Splendor. I've done the Hidden Splendor return from Knotted Rope, and it seems that section of Muddy Creek is really crooked with lots of 180s ...

And looking at Google Earth it appears much shorter from Factory Butte.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    We did it from Factory Butte. I haven't done Segers from Hidden Splendor. I've done the Hidden Splendor return from Knotted Rope, and it seems that section of Muddy Creek is really crooked with lots of 180s ...

And looking at Google Earth it appears much shorter from Factory Butte.
    Might be longer, but it is mostly in the shade, coming and going.

My question was unclear: how would you compare Cable to The Squeeze? Which did you like better?

Tom

Nice TR. Boy, does that look dry, at least compared to my experience in there.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

My question was unclear: how would you compare Cable to The Squeeze? Which did you like better?

Tom
    Segers is much better. I felt the approach and return was longer on Cable, and there is little to no shade on Cable. However, Cable has some fun and unique challenges with a couple of 5-6 pothole sequences. It was a lot of fun and worth doing. We found it almost completely dry, with just one pothole (with a small bridge) with welcome water to our knees. Also, no bolts in this canyon which proves challenging. We had to use a hook in a couple of spots, and once got the hook stuck which resulted in a sketchy ascent and retrieval.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Nice TR. Boy, does that look dry, at least compared to my experience in there.

I totally agree...mine as well.

From the archives:
    Me on rappel...

The flash flood that chased us onto a ledge:

My buddy on the last rappel:
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.