Thread: North Syncline - Dry Canyon Trail (Logan Canyon)

North Syncline - Dry Canyon Trail (Logan Canyon)

This one has been on my radar for a long time, but the logistics are a little bit annoying. You either do 9 mile, 4000' climb on broad dirt roads or you arrange for a somewhat lengthy shuttle. We were lucky enough to be able to take part in the latter option yesterday. I'm sad that I waited this long to make this happen. It was an incredible ride. Narrow singletrack through gorgeous north facing pine forests, grassy high alpine meadows overlooking deep, rugged canyons, oh yeah, and the riding was awesome. 10.5 miles total with 700' combined ascending and 4700' vertical drop. Coming hot around a corner I very nearly ran into a moose. I'm not sure who was more startled, but 10 feet is way too close. It was just a little guy (by moose standards) so I kept waiting for Momma to show up. Luckily, she didn't or more likely he was a yearling and now on his own.

The riding starts out with a good descent, with some sharp short climbs thrown in for good measure. There is a couple of more prolonged climbs, but nothing too heinous that a little walking can't take care of. I didn't take a ton of pictures, but i have a few crappy ones from my cell phone.

Meadow at 8500 feet, looking up at the north side of Mount Logan

The Walk of Shame

The trail opens up right before the final descent

Overlook into Logan canyon

Overlooking Logan with the Wellsville Mountains in the background. It's a shame that the camera flattens out the landscape, but this was a pretty impressive view

The initial part of the final descent, before you get deep in the canyon

Below here we didn't get any pictures, we were too worried about hanging onto the brakes. Some steep switchbacks, rock gardens, loose corners, and a whole lotta good times!

Elevation Profile

Map

2. Likes blueeyes liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I never heard of someone doing it like this! I bet that was a great downhill ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    I never heard of someone doing it like this! I bet that was a great downhill ride!
    It was awesome! I have tried to slog up Spring Hollow with my bike before, but that gets steep in a hurry and becomes more a hike than a bike ride. The shuttle, from first dam, does take about 45-50 minutes each direction though.

Luckily, my buddy has constructed himself the ultimate shuttle vehicle. He put a front receiver on his Tahoe and then loaded up his trials dirt bike on a carrier on the front. All four of our bikes were on the rear hitch rack. We drove up Logan Canyon and dropped off his dirt bike at Card Canyon, then continued on to the starting point for this ride. When we got to first dam at the end of the ride a vehicle was waiting there for us. We drove the dude back up to his dirt bike and he rode up Card CAnyon and to his Tahoe at the top. Perfect. He didn't mind doing all the shuttling either because he just got the dirt bike running and was itching to try it out on some techy singeltrack (which Card Canyon definitely is).

Anyway, highly recommend this ride for strong intermediate riders. Beginners would not like it very much.