Thread: Youth--gone right

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

Youth--gone right

Spencer was given instruction at the start of the day on the technique of a firemans belay.

He was told that this was a job and to take it seriously, that holding your arm in the air,towards the rappeler, allows you to adjust rope length throughout the rappel as well as being able to quickly pull down to stop a rappeler should the need arise.

Well--the need arose towards the end of the day, Hummingbird was on the second stage of a 2 stage rappel, she slipped and the ever mindful Spencer stopped her in a split second. Andy was in a position to discuss with Hummingbird what had happened and what could have been done better.

All I could say was GREAT JOB SPENCER, he took a potential situation, arrested it and created a learning experience for all.

On the last rappel, the 80' freehanger, Spencer was 3rd down, he got partway, hanging in the air and his hand became hot. Having great knowledge of how well a firemans worked and a cool level head, he asked to be stopped so his hand could cool. Andy had instructed him earlier on how to add friction on the ATS while rappelling, Spencer didn't want to do this, hanging 70' in the air, so he opted to be stopped a few times so his hand could cool and resumed. Great presence!!

I know he got a bit tired towards the end of the day but when he was tired, he was still thinking and working his way through.

GREAT JOB AND GREAT DAY SPENCER(the smartest 15 year old ever)inside joke...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Likes blueeyes liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Way to go Spencer!! You don't have to be the biggest, toughest bad-ass around. Simply, quietly doing the job assigned can save the day. Well done! You da man.
    Penny

5. Likes hummingbird, blueeyes liked this post
    Fantastic job Spencer! You seem to be a very responsible young man and level headed under stress. You are going to be an asset to any group you go with (not just canyoneering...). Keep up the good work.

7. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar

Kind of a long video but I do these for the grandparents specifically my mom since we live 350 miles from family. They love watching our adventures. If you skip to about 6:54 you can see Spencer catch a @hummingbird . Right before that he kept me from slipping on the first stage of the rappel. Only 9 more days to go and he won't be the smartest 15 year old anymore. He truly is turning into an amazing young man.
    Chere'

9. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Video not working for me....

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Really!? It is marked public...hmmm wonder what I am doing wrong. Anyone have an idea?
    Chere'

I see it now

I definitely went with the right people through my first canyon! Spencer - maybe you'll retain some of your omniscience when you turn 16 ;)

I can't get the vid to work either... maybe it's my internet

14. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    great job

16. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Video works just fine, and excellent by the way. Really put that slip into perspective. Good catch Spencer.

18. Likes blueeyes liked this post