Thread: Kolob Creek Canyon... Wait, You Mean This Rappel Goes Into A Pool???

Kolob Creek Canyon... Wait, You Mean This Rappel Goes Into A Pool???

On the 24th a group of us headed down Kolob Creek Canyon, a first for me. Our team consisted of Bo, Andy, Rob, myself, and Anna from Italy, who is an experienced climber but new to canyoneering. We got an early start, followed the trails, such as they were, through the forest and rappelled into the canyon off a tree onto dry ground, giving us a chance to suit up.

Name:  P1100682.JPG
Views: 1201
Size:  230.1 KB

Andy rappelling into the canyon. We suited up at the bottom of the rappel, Anna feeling a little silly in her wetsuit. I myself layered up, knowing my less-than-bulky frame meant for susceptibility to the cold. I went with a 4:3 suit with a 3mm vest over the top. We headed right into the water, which early in the morning could charitably be described as "refreshing."

Name:  P1100687.JPG
Views: 1041
Size:  277.7 KB

The canyon was immediately beautiful, with the water running fairly low and easy.

Name:  P1100694.JPG
Views: 1178
Size:  190.1 KB

It didn't take long for me to realize the theme to the canyon: rappelling in waterfalls into deep pools. One of the early ones though did allow Bo to stand under the falls for a little fun...

Name:  P1100705.JPG
Views: 1500
Size:  187.3 KB

We soon came to one of the longer rappels. I was in the lead, set up a single line rappel into the deep pool, and Rob followed me down. Realizing that the next drop was chained together with the first, I dropped the rest of the rope and shouted up at the group to tie in the second long rope. Several minutes of trying to shout over the falls led to the discovery that Rob, sitting next to me, had the second longer rope in his pack. We then tied in the short rope, which made it down to Rob and I, and we tied in the second long rope. Not exactly the most efficient process there, but of course communication was difficult with the flowing water.

Name:  P1100710.JPG
Views: 968
Size:  212.5 KB

Anna rappelling into a pool. Sorta describes a lot of it, actually! Swimming around in the large pools below several rappels started to get chilly. I had several of the group comment on my shivering arms and legs, but I assured them my core was doing fine thanks to the extra neoprene. I don't think Anna was minding the wetsuit anymore.

Name:  P1100720.JPG
Views: 987
Size:  202.4 KB

Andy rappelling down into... you guessed it, a pool!

Name:  P1100731.JPG
Views: 973
Size:  256.8 KB

Anna on the second-to-last rappel, a nice little two stage drop. The first half of this rappel was actually dry, a strange occurrence for this canyon!

Name:  P1100732.JPG
Views: 1023
Size:  239.8 KB

Looking down as Rob rappels the final, big drop in the canyon. From the pool at the previous rappel we downclimbed a twisty little slot with a surprisingly deep small pool to stem over before reaching the narrow ledge over the drop.

Name:  P1100734.JPG
Views: 928
Size:  232.5 KB

Taking pictures of the scenery on the far canyon wall while waiting for my turn to head down the drop.

Name:  P1100739.JPG
Views: 949
Size:  236.7 KB

Andy rappelling the big drop. It was quite fun, in and out of the waterfall, and very slippery in places. Great views on the way down. At the bottom we had lunch and watched the sun finally hit the canyon above us.

Name:  P1100764.JPG
Views: 914
Size:  261.4 KB

We started rock-hopping our way down the canyon, and soon encountered the impressively large waterfall coming in off the side of the canyon.

Name:  P1100781.JPG
Views: 902
Size:  273.4 KB

Further down the canyon the narrows returned, with some pools and drops to downclimb and handline. Since it was getting hot we took off our suits, and then seriously questioned that decision with every freezing cold pool!

Name:  P1100791.JPG
Views: 1647
Size:  215.9 KB

Nearing the end of our hike down Kolob Canyon the scenery continued to impress. I wouldn't have minded continuing down to the Narrows, though it certainly was pretty tiring hiking in the rocky streambed.

Name:  P1100806.JPG
Views: 988
Size:  311.3 KB

The MIA exit was certainly interesting, not the hardest nor sketchiest thing I've done by far, but certainly hard and certainly sketchy in places. I was amazed at the tensile strength of some of the twigs along the route! At the top some clouds rolled in, giving us much appreciated shade for the remainder of the hike.

Name:  P1100814.JPG
Views: 932
Size:  178.3 KB

Rob, Andy, Bo, and Anna at the end of the hike, where we discovered a great tragedy: we had forgotten to pick up ice on the drive in the morning and all we had waiting for us was warm beer. A terrible, terrible thing.

Name:  P1100815.JPG
Views: 894
Size:  210.7 KB

And a photo to prove I was there as well. Kolob was a very beautiful canyon, and quite a bit of fun thanks to the flowing water!

2. Likes Slipknot, hank moon, ratagonia, blueeyes liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What a beautiful canyon. Thanks for the fantastic TR.

Excellent. I love that canyon.
    Life is Good

Excellent TR!! Great photos!

It looks like the flow is less than previous TR's... looks like 1 cfs? What did the water district quote you?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Excellent TR!! Great photos!

It looks like the flow is less than previous TR's... looks like 1 cfs? What did the water district quote you?
    Bo was saying it was around 1 cfs. Just enough to keep everything clean and flowing, really. The whole time I was trying to imagine what it would be like with much higher water flow... I could see how it could get dangerous very quickly!

Great TR. Can't wait to experience it this weekend.

Beautiful shots! Everything looks wonderfully great.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Great pic of the big waterfall - looks like it was going strong!!!

T

12. Likes hank moon liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Great pic of the big waterfall - looks like it was going strong!!!

T
    Just curious, is that a naturally occuring waterfall? The one that comes in from the side.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Just curious, is that a naturally occuring waterfall? The one that comes in from the side.
    Yes. There is a spring up there associated with the limestone layer, that briefly flows, then falls over the edge. Lack of a significant canyon indicates it is geologically recent.

Tom

15. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post