Thread: Fat Mans Misery 6/24/12

Fat Mans Misery 6/24/12

It was my birthday today so I got my kids, my sister and a couple of friends and we made a trip through Fat Man's Misery. I had stayed in Cedar the night before at my moms house because my brother was in town visiting and we headed out at about 4:15 so we could get an early start. We were on trail by 6 am and made real good time behind the mesa and into the canyon. We were having a great trip and suddenly a hiccup. We were at the drop and decided against rapping the drop off the arch and built a dead man anchor with the available rocks. After getting all the group down we were having a little difficulty with the rope pull because we had positioned the anchor to get a lot of friction on the rocks for safety. I went down canyon another 10 feet or so and found a good line and the rope started moving freely. In some kind of dreamland, one of our members coiled the loose end of the rope and threw it up on top thinking it would help the pull. Well it did, but only for about 2 more feet until it was tied in a knot. We messed around and finally concluded it was coming down. I weighted the rope in as many different directions as possible, then looked at my daughter and laughed. She knew where she was headed being the lightest and most skilled climber in the group. So up the rope she went with prusiks and slings until she cleared the lip. The knot was tied with about 2' of rope remaining from the pull. She re rigged the rope and come back down. That is a first stuck rope so far, but it was a real good experience for my kids and our group to do something in the field that so far we had only practiced hanging from hooks so far in the garage. We continued down canyon enjoying the downclimbs and raps. Not a lot of water in the canyon, but still enough to make it fun. Wasn't very dirty yet, so hopefully we get some rain soon. Once we hit the river we stopped for an hour or so, ate lunch, and refilled our water for the hike out (which is truly why the canyon should have originaly been named fat mans misery). Luckily, this is the second time in a row for this canyon that were had cloud cover and a breeze for most of the hike. We were back to the vehicles around 6 and back into town. Usually our adventures end at Pizza Noodle or Oscars, but we all decided to hit Panda Express in St. George. Off to our next adventure, we are planning on doing Keyhole, Pine Creek and Echo this week also.

Link to some more pics
    http://s1070.photobucket.com/albums/...y%20%20062412/Name:  DSCF1380.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  103.8 KBName:  DSCF1501.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  65.9 KBName:  DSCF1449.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  236.7 KBName:  DSCF1430.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  119.7 KBName:  DSCF1425.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  100.0 KBName:  DSCF1419.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  134.7 KBName:  DSCF1410.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  131.3 KBName:  DSCF1402.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  80.9 KBName:  DSCF1388.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  136.6 KBName:  DSCF1387.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  110.2 KBName:  DSCF1506.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  121.5 KB

2. Likes blueeyes liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Glad you got your rope back. Wow, ascending that was probably sketchy...

I enjoyed your trip report, I really liked the picture of your kids (?) manuvering around the floating algea.

Nicely done! I was hoping when you did your trip, you would set up the same shuttle I did and I could know for sure where the correct drainage was, hehe. Next time!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

[QUOTE=Deathcricket;502922]Nicely done! I was hoping when you did your trip, you would set up the same shuttle I did and I could know for sure where the correct drainage was, hehe. Next time! [/QUOTE

We thought about it but decided to just hike out. Let's make a trip to rock canyon an then it should be pretty easy to find and know where it is

9. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    If one of you guys want to set up the shuttle the night before I'll come down and do the route with ya. I know the way :)

How long of a day to descend fat mans, up the barracks, out French, down rock canyon, back up French to the vehicles we place the night before. We have vehicles we can get down there.

I'd have to check my notes for exact times, but you don't do misery and rock on the same day. Down misery and out French is a full day.

Sounds good, it was just an idea. We hadn't done Rock before and wasn't sure if it was possible since we already had vehicles there. Let me know when you are coming down next and we will get it set up. Thanks