Thread: Our accident in Englestead

Our accident in Englestead

What a gorgeous canyon! Would have been a perfect day if not for the injury sustained by one of our members. The following is a brief description of what happened...

We started off at the visitor center parking lot at the buttcrack of dawn 7:30AM. After our last trip, everyone was anxious to get an early start. Sadly we were one member short, his girlfriend wouldn't let him go with us ever again, due to being so late last time. We all decided to pile into one vehicle, making the car shuttle a breeze, but the car only holds 5 people comfortably, yet somehow we managed to pack 7 people in there. Amazing what motivation can do! I usually do this from the parking lot right before Orderville but we had some beta about a back entrance near the top trail to Observation Point and decided to try it. Not the best idea looking back. Lots of overgrown tree and bushes and the Range Rover now has a couple more scratches in it. It was a bit shorter approach though which was nice. Also I packed myself into the back with the luggage and could only sit sideways looking out the side window. The windy curvy roads and being sideways made me car sick! Can't recall the last time that happened. Not a pleasant feeling puking my guts out on the side of the road. Plus I topped my breakfast off with 3 big red juicy plums and my buddy thought I was puking up blood, haha.

Anyways, we finally got the 1st big rap and everyone including myself was a bit nervous, there was a group in front of us of 4 and I guess we were crowding one of the noobs in their group a bit. She actually asked us "Hey I kinda don't want a crowd for this can you guys go stand over there?". We obliged and she got down fine. They had an interesting setup. Their group only had 4 people. They had a 300 footer with a pull cord off one tree near the front, that the first guy used, then had a double strander going off the bird perch rap. Then had a guy on the bird perch doing a transition for the last 2 in the group. My guess for this setup was they didn't want to have the noobs rap single strand and weren't sure their shorter ropes would reach the bottom. Not sure though, I forgot to ask them when we got down there. But IMO going one single strand 270ish is way easier than rapping 100 to the birch perch, then transitioning while hanging for your life on that tiny ledge. I've done it both ways and think the birch perch is way more nerve wracking myself. Although you do save on the ropes dept. But they already had a rope long enough to reach the bottom setup on another station. Aw well it's a mystery.

They took their sweet time rapping so our group immediately assumed we would pass them. We had 2 – 310 footers and when we dropped our ropes they reached the bottom of the 2nd rap immediately following the first. So we were able to drop straight and avoid all 3 raps they had to do. But we got about 2 guys down while they were setting up the next rap off the log, and we never saw nor heard from them again. They were very zippy!

We had a blast in the canyon! My buddy busted out his Aussie style harness and I got some cool shots of him running down the walls. I'll put videos up in a bit. Everyone in our group really enjoyed the canyon. We bypassed a lot of the multiple raps by having such long ropes, but I guess there is about 11 raps in that place, and they are all very fun. There was thing of concern though, there was a huge amount of blood in the canyon. At first we thought maybe someone got a bloody nose or something and we just spit some water on it and wiped it off with a foot. But after 2 miles we kept getting worried that someone had indeed had a very serious injury in this canyon. Just drops of blood everywhere and little drizzles all over. I also don't think it was the group before us, but super recent, like Saturday I bet. Then our only injury happened. A member of our group was stemming in one of the skinny spots and somehow his thumb popped out of it's socket and then right back in! It happened so fast and did not interfere with his awesome stemming action, but when he pulled his glove off, it was tender and mildly swollen. He could move it fine but it was slightly uncomfortable. Our perfect record is now broken!

We made it to the Orderville and OMG it got super hot for a bit, if I had to guess I would say 103ish. I was dieing and soo looking forward to the water section. Then we get to the water section and it gets cloudy and starts raining, LOL. But the water was still very refreshing and welcoming. I would guess about 60 degreees. Felt a little warmer this year. The water level was still a little low so I wasn't able to bust out as many cannonballs as I would have liked too. But there were plenty, let me assure you. Unfortunately I forgot to delete the vids from last trip off my GoPro and my stinking memory card filled up! So by this time I had put it away and was just enjoying the awesome water playland.

We made it down to the narrows and were surprised to not find a splatted canyoneer at the Imlay drop. We had plenty of time and would have been able to offer way more support on this adventure, aww well. We walked down the rest of the Narrows, even with the busloads of tourists it was still pleasant. Love this place! Headed to Oscars for a victory burgers and beers, went home and made sweet love to the wifey. Ahhh perfect day!

For our next adventure we are planning a "Telehuinin" trip, should be another day of crazy fun!

Name:  IMG_1261.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  118.9 KBName:  IMG_1263.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  135.7 KB
    Taking a picture of a guy photobombing a guy taking his picture!
    Name:  IMG_1264.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  155.0 KB

IMMA PHOTBOMB YOU OMG WTF BBQ!
    Name:  Photobomb.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  81.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_1266.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  228.9 KBName:  IMG_1268.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  92.1 KBName:  IMG_1270.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  100.4 KB

I'll belay you later dude! I puked up my breakfast and need a sammich!
    Name:  IMG_1273.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  120.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_1275.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  112.8 KBName:  IMG_1292.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  134.3 KBName:  IMG_1294.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  52.8 KBName:  IMG_1296.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  114.1 KBName:  IMG_1299.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  97.0 KBName:  IMG_1304.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  89.1 KBName:  IMG_1320.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  209.8 KBName:  IMG_1323.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  163.9 KBName:  IMG_1332.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  97.4 KBName:  IMG_1338.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  117.0 KBName:  P1010042.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  142.0 KB
    Mmmmm Rootey. The picture doesn't convey it but this thing was HUGE! Amazing what pressure can do.
    Name:  P1010043.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  143.9 KB
    Name:  P1010061.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  102.4 KBName:  P1010071.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  81.3 KBName:  P1010080.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  62.0 KBName:  P1010099.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  209.1 KBName:  P1010107.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  56.6 KBName:  P1010114.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  165.0 KBName:  P1010115.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  144.9 KBName:  P1010130.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  76.7 KBName:  P1010136.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  147.6 KB
    This one goes out to a very special stalker, you know who you are.
    Name:  P1010137.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  79.0 KB
    I call this one "Fly you fools" after a hero of mine Gandolph the Grey.
    Name:  P1010138.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  84.9 KBName:  P1010143.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  56.1 KBName:  P1010145.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  79.6 KBName:  P1010150.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  116.9 KBName:  P1010154.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  97.5 KB
    Canyoneering is serious bidness
    Name:  P1010166.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  118.2 KB
    Name:  P1010180.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  93.4 KBName:  P1010191.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  95.5 KBName:  P1010197.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  76.6 KBName:  P1010200.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  59.9 KBName:  P1010204.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  70.3 KB
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

2. Likes StarFangledNut, Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sounds like somebody in the group from Saturday ate a few plums too?

5. Likes wanahyk, Deathcricket liked this post
    I think that last pic is one of my favs . Sounds like an awesome trip, I'm doing Engelstead for the first time in two weeks and can't wait. Have fun in telehunin.

7. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Nice pics! I'm actually a member of the group that went down before you. And to solve the mystery, there was another group of three that anchored off the tree near the mouth of the canyon. They raped 300' down to the bottom as we set up and raped the multi-stage 90' down to the bird perch and then 200' down to the bottom. The group before us were planning on doing Mystery after they finished Englestead. Now thats a long day!

Didn't see any blood in the canyon. Thats weird.

Quote Originally Posted by tley430 View Post
    Nice pics! I'm actually a member of the group that went down before you. And to solve the mystery, there was another group of three that anchored off the tree near the mouth of the canyon. They raped 300' down to the bottom as we set up and raped the multi-stage 90' down to the bird perch and then 200' down to the bottom. The group before us were planning on doing Mystery after they finished Englestead. Now thats a long day!

Didn't see any blood in the canyon. Thats weird.
    Yeah it wasn't fresh blood, it was a day old, maybe older. I'm sure once you saw it though you would have noticed it all over.

Thanks for solving the mystery too! Now that makes perfect sense. I never saw the 3rd group down there hehe. I would be curious if they pulled that off. That is definitely a long day! Did you guys go up or down the Orderville canyon? Like I said before you guys were very fast and we never saw you after the first rap again.

We went down Orderville, aka "Overhot" canyon and out through the Narrows. The scenery was amazing and once we made it to the water it was refreshing to jump in the cold water. We ate lunch in the shade near the junction of Englestead and Orderville and just as we finished our lunch, we heard you guys coming down. Having cold beer waiting for you in Springdale is always a good motivator to quicken the pace and get out in good time!

Video update, didn't get a lot since my card filled up. Forgot to delete last weeks footage, haha.

I got the idea from jman's stuff to fast forward through a lot of it. I think it helps make it less boring. Kinda "so-so" on music selection. I was looking through my Zune for a song and this one had the exact same length as my existing footage, so it was an instant lazy winner, haha. Hope you enjoy, crits always welcome of course.

13. Likes wanahyk liked this post
    Bogley BigShot
    Enjoying Life!

What a wonderful thread all around!

16. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Nice TR and video.
    So far this is the only canyon in Zion I have done so I'm looking forward to a few more.

18. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    The video was excellent! But I was hoping to see some more footage of your friend in the green shirt falling into one of the pools...J/K

Loved it all, including the song selection, thanks DC.

20. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    The video was excellent! But I was hoping to see some more footage of your friend in the green shirt falling into one of the pools...J/K

Loved it all, including the song selection, thanks DC.
    Haha! believe me we were waiting for it all day to happen! But now that he's got 3 canyons under his belt, he's finding his stride and making less errors. Much to the sadness of my filming exploits.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BW123 View Post
    On a completely unrelated side-note, the next canyon after Englestead (LDC)(left) is actually called "Tom's Thumb".

BW
    Actually, you will notice that the NEXT cleft actually goes into Engelstead. We looked at that one, but it looked even lamer than Tom's Thumb. TT is probably the first canyon dropping into Orderville west of Engelstead.

However, the canyon was lame so I did not take good notes. It might actually be the NEXT canyon west, NE of pt 6600.

Beta:

From the edge, rappel about 280 feet from a tree to a ledge system with a paucity of natural anchors. Place a bolt and rappel 240 feet to the canyon bottom. Follow the canyon past a couple scruffy downclimbs to its intersection with Orderville.

Sorry, no pictures.

Tom

Nice TR man! Way to self rescue!!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

24. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    __