Thread: Burro Wash, Cottonwood Wash and Sulphur Creek

Burro Wash, Cottonwood Wash and Sulphur Creek

This is the story of our spectacular trip through some of the best sections of Capitol Reef National Park. We left the beaten track and focused on more technically challenging routes.

Trip participants were Kimberly (my wife), Shaylee (my daughter), Kessler (my son), Jeremiah (friend from Canada), Mark (mybrother), his son Josh, and my dad.

This trip was over Memorial Day weekend.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Burro Wash was our first adventure on this Capitol Reef Trip. With extreme winds and dust storms, it was a rough night the night before. We ended up setting up our tent in the culvert pipe for some wind shelter. Before we even started the canyon our ears and everything else were filed with dust and sand!

Kimberly, Shaylee, Kessler, Jeremiah and I drove to the head of the canyon to make a full descent with technical gear. Mark, Josh, and my dad would hike from the bottom end and go as far as they could without technical gear.

After climbing to the head of the canyon and seeing some great petrified logsalong the way, we took a slightly difficult route variation that included one nice technical pitch, so it wouldbe a good warm up, we dropped in. It was very windy before we hit the slots.

After some tedious bushes and obstacles we found ourselves as the first slot; this one in the Wingate Sandstone. The canyon alternated between open and tight as we continued down.

After the Wingate slot there were several good slots through the Navajo Sandstone and all of them contained some nice downclimbs with a few rappels. We were able to downclimb everything except for three raps and the kids’ skills have improved much in the past year. The kids' favorite part of the canyon was the “slide”.

The second to the last rappel required an exposed climb along ledges to get to the rappel station. After that the final big rappel landed us in a huge and impressive chamber that was spectacular. The action wasn’t over yet and there were still many downclimbs and tight squeezes to go.

The canyon eventually opened up and then it was an open walk though the sand through the open desert. It was very windy, so this made it more difficult than it otherwise would have been, but we made it across the desert without stopping. We were all relieved to make it back to camp, even if it was in a windy culvert pipe!

Burro Wash was a grand adventure.

Name:  Capitol Reef 004.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 023.JPG
Views: 1341
Size:  307.6 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 033.JPG
Views: 1241
Size:  247.3 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 044.JPG
Views: 1081
Size:  261.6 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 047.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  99.0 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 069.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  46.6 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 070.JPG
Views: 1018
Size:  238.7 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 083.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  73.2 KB
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

4. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Cottonwood Wash was our next adventure in Capitol Reef. This time, Shaylee wanted to spend time with her cousin, so Shaylee, Kimberly, Josh (her cousin), Mark (my brother) and my dad would hike as far as they could upcanyon from the bottom. Jeremiah, Kessler and I would descend the entire canyon with technical gear.

We found the approach to upper Cottonwood Wash to be quite pretty. It was easier than the approach to Burro Wash too.

After many minor obstacles, we found ourselves at the first rap into the slot. Jeremiah went first and I last. Kessler had a lot of fun on the raps and challenging downclimbs.

The second rap was into a nice alcove. Normally it has some hanging gardens, but it had been so dry that there wasn’t too much greenery left. The canyon became a very beautiful slanted slot with many banded colors; perhaps the best part of the canyon. The narrows and obstacles continued andthere were many more challenging downclimbs to come and two huge dry falls to climb around.

Eventually we found ourselves at the last rap which was off a deadman cairn, but the narrows and obstacles continued fora long way down canyon. It was all great fun.

Eventually we made our way all the way through the canyon and back to the second vehicle. This night, we were tired of all the sand and wind so Kim, the kids and I went to go stay at the nearest B & B for a good night’s rest!

Name:  Capitol Reef 091.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 092.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  78.8 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 093.JPG
Views: 1040
Size:  195.2 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 110.JPG
Views: 1192
Size:  251.3 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 113.JPG
Views: 1078
Size:  249.2 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 119.JPG
Views: 978
Size:  181.1 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 122.JPG
Views: 1094
Size:  163.9 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 123.JPG
Views: 962
Size:  271.5 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 126.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  87.0 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 132.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 135.JPG
Views: 1024
Size:  325.1 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 137.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  63.4 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 141.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  59.6 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 146.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  77.9 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 149.JPG
Views: 932
Size:  238.7 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 163.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 167.JPG
Views: 955
Size:  239.6 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 168.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  69.2 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 184.JPG
Views: 942
Size:  214.3 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 190.JPG
Views: 1023
Size:  225.9 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 196.JPG
Views: 1425
Size:  169.3 KB

6. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Because today was supposed to be the hottest day of the three day weekend, Shaylee, Kessler, Kimberly, Jeremiah and I decided to explore the deep slot canyon containing Sulphur Creek. This is probably the 2nd best non-technical hike in the park, after Halls Creek Narrows.

We started from Chimney Rock and followed the side canyon down to Sulphur Creek. As we continued down canyon we could see people way up on the rim (a NPS roadside overlooks exist up there) 800-900 feet above us. They could see us well enough to wave.

We continued down canyon through the nice narrows. Even though it was a warm day, we still got chilled slightly with all the water around. There were three challenging waterfalls toc limb; otherwise the only other challenge was just lots of wading and rocks. The kids had a lot of fun climbing the waterfalls.

The last waterfall was the messiest of all and required some delicate maneuvering. After the last waterfall, it was a nice and pretty walk all the way to the visitor center.

Name:  Capitol Reef 197.JPG
Views: 1057
Size:  254.6 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 201.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 208.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  67.6 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 222.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  65.2 KB

Name:  Capitol Reef 230.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  88.2 KB

8. Likes blueeyes liked this post

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Sweet. Thanks Scott.

Tom

Very nice, Thanks for the TR

I love Capitol Reef.

Nice!! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait until our son is old enough for those canyons.

Not to be too critical... but no pics of the kiddos on the big rappel in Burro??
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Not to be too critical... but no pics of the kiddos on the big rappel in Burro??
    I had the camera up top then. Jerimiah has more photos of the kids. I'll have to scroll through and see if I can find some of the big rappel.

Thanks for sharing Scott! Looks like everyone had a blast.