Thread: James Canyon, Flagstaff, AZ

James Canyon, Flagstaff, AZ

I'm new to technical canyoneering and this is my first trip report. I've been a rock climber and alpinist for 35 years (beat that, young whippersnappers) and needed to find something that I could do with the new wife, who doesn't rock climb. She loves to hike the canyon country of southern Utah, so some easy canyoneering was the logical next step.

I have lived for 23 years just a few miles from the drop in for James Canyon, which is located about 8 miles south of Flagstaff. We decided to give it a go as our first "official" technical canyon (rated 3BIII). There are many places where you can escape if needed. It also gave me the chance to put my new Go Pro 2 to good use.

To approach, park at the Kelly Canyon exit (#331) on I-17. The Forest Service has permanently closed the access road, so you'll have to park just off pavement at the end of the exit ramp (don't block the gate). Hike south for 0.7 miles (noisy interstate to your left). Continue over a fence and veer right to find the basalt slabs that form the head of the canyon. The fun starts right away. Scramble down the basalt, past a few pools and easy downclimbs to the first swim. It's right under the powerlines, which will soon head off in another direction. In a few minutes, the basalt gives way to sandstone, which is present for the remainder of the route. The canyon is full of poison ivy, so be alert. I've also encountered bears nearby, so don't be surprised to see one.

The first real obstacle is a downclimb into a pool. It was easily overcome without breaking out the rope. The canyon alternates between walking/boulder hopping, swims, and scrambling. Eventually, you reach the first rappel. I found two anchors: 1) a really bad bolt for which the hole is about 1/2 inch too shallow. As a result, the hanger spins and slides up and down the exposed end of the bolt. 2) A chockstone and 1" piece of webbing with rappel ring (It was tied with a loose Euro Death Knot with almost no tails. I retied it properly.) We opted for the chockstone. You rappel about twenty feet down a slab, then over the lip about 12 feet into a pool. This is followed immediately by another small pool, then a five foot drop into the third and largest pool, which you swim about 50 feet to reach the other side.

Downstream is more hiking and swimming, with a few drops up to about 6 feet. One of our two 25 meter pieces of rope was accidently left at the top of one of these drops, and I was barely able to climb back up and retrieve it, using a floating log as a ladder. After about four hours, we reached the top of the largest drop, a 40 ft. waterfall (dry). We got a late start, were moving slower than expected, and still had the longest (200 feet), coldest swim ahead of us so we decided to bail. The hike out from here is pretty brutal: a steep loose hillside with dense vegetation. In retrospect, it might have been easier to continue downstream.

It was, in total, a great and rewarding adventure. I'm heading back sometime to finish the full route.

I think I'm getting hooked on canyoneering! My climbing partner is already wondering where I made this turn to the "dark side."

David

Name:  James-Canyon-2012-06-13-route.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  103.2 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome video and report. Beautiful area!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    fun stuff