Thread: Camping Recommend near Brian Head

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar

Camping Recommend near Brian Head

Can anyone recommend a good campsite near Brian Head? I would prefer free but don't mind paying if that is all that is available.

We want to go up for the 4th of July be there for pancake breakfast and then ride mountain bikes and see fireworks that night. Looking forward to getting out of the heat!
    Chere'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Somewhere near Yankee Meadows. Get too close to the peak and you start getting into private cabins, and farther down the hill you run into Camp Thunder Ridge.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

4. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Dance View Post
    Somewhere near Yankee Meadows. Get too close to the peak and you start getting into private cabins, and farther down the hill you run into Camp Thunder Ridge.
    Just searched this up and I like! Thank you. I do have question. I see that there is a developed campground by Yankee Meadows Reservoir and I don't mind paying but prefer camping free if I can... so from your post I assume you can find spots near there where you can camp free? Not having been in that area are there lots of dirt roads you can venture down to find a spot?
    Chere'

I'm actually not 100% sure on that. I'd call the Cedar City ranger station. They should know. Have fun!
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

Also, check Google Earth in that area. Should show you the roads and any clearings and potential 'primitive' campsites.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Just searched this up and I like! Thank you. I do have question. I see that there is a developed campground by Yankee Meadows Reservoir and I don't mind paying but prefer camping free if I can... so from your post I assume you can find spots near there where you can camp free? Not having been in that area are there lots of dirt roads you can venture down to find a spot?
    There is a lot of free camping near Yankee Meadows, pretty much an unlimited amount. You can also go past Brian Head and take the road towards Panguitch Lake and take any of the roads that branch off of it. That area is called Sidney Valley or Red Desert and it is all open area if yout want to be higher and cooler than Yankee. We have camped in those areas at least 30 or 40 times