Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 19 Wildfires started SO FAR...

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Forgive my ignorance: are "exploding targets" normal? Shooting at propane cylinders? Doesn't pretty much anything explode when you hit it with the .50 cal?

Tom

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dCoFvH8zQYI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Forgive my ignorance: are "exploding targets" normal? Shooting at propane cylinders? Doesn't pretty much anything explode when you hit it with the .50 cal?

Tom
    The exploding targets referred to is called Tannerite. I first heard of it about 2 or 3 years ago and it's sold in many different retail stores and gun shows. I actually bought 1# a while back and it still sits on a shelf in the basement...I'll probably go blow it up this winter some time. I'm still amazed that it hasn't become illegal to sell yet.

Tannerite

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Not to be confused with Tenorite.
    Tannerite[1] is the trademark for a patented[2] ammonium nitrate/ aluminum powder based binary explosive used primarily as a target for firearms practice. Tannerite is unique in that it is exceptionally stable when subjected to less severe forces such as a hammer blow or being dropped. It is supplied as two powders which are combined to produce the explosive
    Uses

Tannerite is intended to detonate when shot by a high-velocity firearm cartridge (firearms). Low-velocity handgun or rifle ammunition will not initiate a detonation.[2]
    Tannerite is used by shooting clubs to provide explosions for their participants in large-scale weaponry demonstrations or other events. Ordinarily, firing rifle caliber machine guns and long arms will not produce much more than sound upon impact of the round on the target. With reactive targets, these shooting clubs can provide a movie-like experience such as exploding cars.
    The manufacturer recommends using no more than 0.5-pound (0.23 kg) of the mixed composition at once, for safety reasons.
    Tannerite detonations occur at a very high velocity, producing a large explosion and cloud. It may be useful for persons who are firing at long ranges; in this scenario, a long-range rifle shooter emplaces targets, retreats to his firing position, and fires. The shooter does not wish to have to walk down range to see if he has a hit

5. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post