Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to begin canyoneering

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    As the gentlemen have been pointing out, Sarah, not all people willing to take you on a trip are really experts. Taking a class can give you enough knowledge so that gentlemen's lack of expertise will not endanger your life.

Some options:

http://www.zionadventures.com - I work as a guide with Zion Adventures, but am mostly retired. I think we are the best act out there, but we are also not cheap. you could call and see if a suitable class has an opening.

If you are up on the Wasatch Front, you might find Steve and Clark at Dark Horse more convenient, and less expensive:

http://darkhorseleadership.com/

Tom
    Hi Sarah. If you are interested in a class, or particularly are along the Wasatch front you can P.M. me or contact us through our website at darkhorseleadership.com Now Tom is right ZAC is a first rate outfit, however Clark and I are the best!! It's my fault I forgot to send Tom the memo about us being the best, not the oldest, but definitely the BEST

Steven Jackson AKA Spidey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
    Climbing doesn't hold as much appeal for me; you get to the top and then you come back down, but you don't actually go anywhere, or explore much.
    Oh...that's great!

And all along I thought canyoneering was just slidin' down a rope...

Thanks for the chuckle!

Ice, put together a Rocky Mouth gig next week! Let's git our noob on!

Since there's only a couple rappels, we'll have plenty of time to debate how to rig them...

Death Cricket-I'm sure you are a lovable human being in real life...but please learn when to shut the F up online. You are a troll to Bogley sometimes. Please stay constructive. That's all.

5. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    This is my opinion on canyoneering and what I feel should be done.

Keep an open mind. Learn from everyone you can, however learn it from one person at a time, along with their methods, and master it. Next, find someone with different methods, and learn it. Find out why one person uses "method a" vs "method b". Sometimes, one method works best in this situation, but won't work so great in another.

I come on here, and watch people argue what way is best. There isn't a single "best" way of doing things. Its what works for them and what they've learned. Reading their methods seem to work great in most of the canyons they've done, but doesn't work well in the canyons here. But i still practice it, because there could be a situation where I might need to utilize it. Maybe one day you could try combining methods, and create your own method of saving your ass, or someone else's.

Good luck, and stay safe.

Ren

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Oh...that's great!

And all along I thought canyoneering was just slidin' down a rope...

Thanks for the chuckle!

Ice, put together a Rocky Mouth gig next week! Let's git our noob on!

Since there's only a couple rappels, we'll have plenty of time to debate how to rig them...
    I thought that might come back to bite me. But I hoped I was covering my ass when I explained what a first-rate beginner I am!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Hi Sarah

You could contact Blueeyes on this forum, I hear she has a trip going out next Friday(29)
    Rumor has it she might have a spot, not sure, you'll have to ask her.
    I've also heard members of her group may have extra gear, such as helmets.

Maybe she has a full crew Worth a shot....
    How much rappeling experience do you have?
    @hummingbird you are most welcome to join us if you can make it Friday. We do have one spot left. I am new at this canyoneering sport myself and learning. I did take a three day course and highly recommend you do the same. I also support wearing a helmet and being very careful of the canyoneernig partners you pick. Not all are team players as I am sure you can tell by this thread. PM if you are interested in joining us. And if you come down bring your mountain bike and we will ride on Saturday!

Chere'
    Chere'

9. Likes hank moon liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan-wild View Post
    Death Cricket-I'm sure you are a lovable human being in real life...but please learn when to shut the F up online. You are a troll to Bogley sometimes. Please stay constructive. That's all.
    you'll wake up someday and realize that "the Emperor has no clothes". Metaphorically speaking of course.

Let's not forget that I simply offered a noob a place on one of my trips, and it was suggested that I would endanger their life. Who is trolling here? Plus that was a great online spanking and was enjoyed by all. it made an entertaining thread.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

11. Likes Udink liked this post