Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to begin canyoneering

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Deathcricket - I would think you would find enough objectionable materials in my actual posts, that you would not be so trollish as to fabricate posts from me to quote. Please do not do so.

You can make the same "humorous comment" without falsely attributing it to me.

Tom
    Ahh come on that was genius and perfectly quotes you. "Don't go with people who will teach you for free, you will die, pay me $300 cause I'm a pro". And I gave you the Ahhhnold voice to boot!

Whatevs, I see you cried like a baby to the mods and they edited it for you. Problem solved.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Ahh come on that was genius and perfectly quotes you. "Don't go with people who will teach you for free, you will die, pay me $300 cause I'm a pro". And I gave you the Ahhhnold voice to boot!

Whatevs, I see you cried like a baby to the mods and they edited it for you. Problem solved.
    I didn't say that, but then again, we have known for a long time that you have a problem with reality.

To be more explicit, Sarah, one of the people you should NOT go canyoneering with is DeathCricket, as he is a danger to himself and others. And proud of it.

Tom

4. Likes blueeyes, Deathcricket liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
    The hummingbird is back...I know it's a really cool name and you're all jealous. Thanks for your replies, I like you guys already even though I am just trying to keep up. And Deathcricket, your TR doesn't daunt me but unfortunately I'll be stuck working on Sunday :(
    Also, since I apparently have to protect my noggin will a skating helmet do?
    Bummer! Next time then.

Yeah, any helmet will keep the "helmet police" off your back. although I have seen them getting picky lately like insisting the chin strap be fastened and stuff like that. Check out the hidden canyon TR and you'll see what I mean.

The hummingbird is back...I know it's a really cool name and you're all jealous. Thanks for your replies, I like you guys already even though I am just trying to keep up. And Deathcricket, your TR doesn't daunt me but unfortunately I'll be stuck working on Sunday :(
    Also, since I apparently have to protect my noggin will a skating helmet do?
    For a start, yes, pretty much any helmet will do.

Tom

For the record DeathCricket is one of the coolest people on and off of this website. I am not an expert on Canyoneering (or hardly anything for that matter) but I can say that I trust him completely and greatly enjoy his company.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    For the record DeathCricket is one of the coolest people on and off of this website. I am not an expert on Canyoneering (or hardly anything for that matter) but I can say that I trust him completely and greatly enjoy his company.
    Maybe to YOU, DiscGo. To me, he is an complete and utter jerk, but he HAS singled me out for his jerkiness.

I AM an expert on canyoneering, and have done a canyon with DeathCricket (which was fun, no problems). But, he is a beginner, does not have good judgement, and it would be a mistake to trust him with your safety in a technical canyoneering environment. There are lots of people out there who are trustworthy and safe - and members of Bogley. Hook up with one of them (in the canyoneering sense).

Tom

9. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    I have absolutely nothing to add since I'm also a canyoneering noob, but this is probably the best thread I've read so far!

11. Likes Don liked this post
    "As long as we're slinging advice to strangers, please consider adding a suitable (ideally CE/UIAA rated) helmet to your list of equipment - and then wear it."

Think about how much your brain is worth to you, then spend about that much on a helmet.

Seriously though, welcome to Bogley

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Hi Sarah

You could contact Blueeyes on this forum, I hear she has a trip going out next Friday(29)
    Rumor has it she might have a spot, not sure, you'll have to ask her.
    I've also heard members of her group may have extra gear, such as helmets.

Maybe she has a full crew Worth a shot....
    How much rappeling experience do you have?

Maybe to YOU, DiscGo. To me, he is an complete and utter jerk, but he HAS singled me out for his jerkiness.

I AM an expert on canyoneering, and have done a canyon with DeathCricket (which was fun, no problems). But, he is a beginner, does not have good judgement, and it would be a mistake to trust him with your safety in a technical canyoneering environment. There are lots of people out there who are trustworthy and safe - and members of Bogley. Hook up with one of them (in the canyoneering sense).

Tom
    I agree! Tom is pro, we did a canyon together 4 years ago and I have learned zero since then. I am a complete noob. I also agree that I am very dangerous and it's only a matter of time before someone gets hurt on one of my trips. I'm very lucky to have done this for so long and had zero injuries, ever, with anyone in my party of noobs. Speaking of getting hurt and breaking bones, hope your broken arm is all healed up Tom.

Name:  stand-back-im-a-professional-40986119546.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  18.4 KB

15. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    I agree! Tom is pro, we did a canyon together 4 years ago and I have learned zero since then. I am a complete noob. I also agree that I am very dangerous and it's only a matter of time before someone gets hurt on one of my trips. I'm very lucky to have done this for so long and had zero injuries, ever, with anyone in my party of noobs. Speaking of getting hurt and breaking bones, hope your broken arm is all healed up Tom.
    It is doing quite well, thanks for checking in Death.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    How much rappeling experience do you have?
    Not much. I've done it enough but never set up the system myself.

Not much. I've done it enough but never set up the system myself.
    The important distinction here is that you are not starting from zero. If you have been on rope before, that is a big help.

Just to be clear because the is more than one interpretation available of what you mean by "the system" (your rappel device -or- the rope for the group)...

Did you set up your rappel device yourself? Do you know how to set up your rappel device for a couple different sizes of ropes?

Tom

Did you set up your rappel device yourself? Do you know how to set up your rappel device for a couple different sizes of ropes?

Tom
    Yes, in the context of rock climbing. And the few times when I've climbed outside I did not set the rope.

It's been awhile since I've climbed, I'm trying to remember exactly what I did and didn't do. Climbing doesn't hold as much appeal for me; you get to the top and then you come back down, but you don't actually go anywhere, or explore much. Then again I'm an incredible novice...

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket
    I'm very lucky to have done this for so long and had zero injuries, ever, with anyone in my party of noobs. Speaking of getting hurt and breaking bones, hope your broken arm is all healed up Tom.
    Game - set - match to deathcricket.

Off topic a bit, but is anyone else surprised how much Ratagonia and Deathcricket don't get a long? For you new comers this is kind of a long time bad relationship, but most people on Bogley get along fine.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Just get permits for one of the canyons that requires them and you will have plenty of takers. You can screen them then based on previous broken limbs, calls to SAR, etc. I think Tanya included a "beware of" section in her book with both of their pictures.....

"mostly retired?" Ratagonia what is up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDuke View Post
    "mostly retired?" Ratagonia what is up with that?
    Thanks for asking, Duke.

I am mostly retired from guiding. I have a couple trips I am committed to in the fall; otherwise I am not on the schedule.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDuke View Post
    Just get permits for one of the canyons that requires them and you will have plenty of takers. You can screen them then based on previous broken limbs, calls to SAR, etc. I think Tanya included a "beware of" section in her book with both of their pictures.....
    Our book certainly suggests caution, but by no means is a "tutorial", rather an all inclusive Guidebook. As a matter of fact the book contains very minimal canyoning.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I wonder if the hummingbird will come back?

Ice telling her to bring beer and carry ropes, NOOB's girlfriend calling SAR, buy classes, back-handed smacks between canyoneers, helmet patrol issuing citations without violations......Boy! Do we know how to sell a sport!

Sarah, just start. Start with the Subway, one of the best hikes ever, follow the Canyons Group on Yahoo or hang out with the misfits here and hook up with some groups. Invites are going out all the time.
    Or Orderville