Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bears in Cheesebox Canyon

Bears in Cheesebox Canyon

I was in a side canyon ( approx. coordinates: 37.692375,-110.071157) to Cheesebox a few weeks ago and came across a fresh set of bear tracks. Looked like it was a mother and cub walking together.
    While I would expect to find bears up on Elk Ridge, I was surprised to find them down this low.

I mention this only so that people will know bears are in the area and not leave packs, food, etc. lying around if camping or hiking.

Name:  Cheesebox-Bear.JPG
Views: 646
Size:  190.2 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We saw some bear tracks in Middle Gravel when we were there in May. With the lack of moisture this year they will probably be in unusual places trying to find a meal.

You mean to tell me that our mountains have bears and lions in them.

Unkown by most, but Moab area has the highest bear population in the state of Utah. I have personally seen as many as 17 bears in one weekend before.

when i heard about the bear tracks in april i thought it added to the mystique of the area

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Awesome!!!!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Unkown by most, but Moab area has the highest bear population in the state of Utah.
    We encountered a bear in Zion a few years back while hiking the Wild Wind exit of Birch Hollow.

We encountered a bear in Zion a few years back while hiking the Wild Wind exit of Birch Hollow.
    When we were hiking up Beartrap Canyon many years ago, we trapped a deer when we got to the waterfall. I think it's obvious how the canyon got its name, though it might be scary to box a bear in there.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

9. Likes Don liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    You mean to tell me that our mountains have bears and lions in them.

Unkown by most, but Moab area has the highest bear population in the state of Utah. I have personally seen as many as 17 bears in one weekend before.
    Yep--and the Abajo's are very close behind.

We followed a bear in Mule canyon a year or so ago......

Climb-Utah.com advises those hiking in remote areas to attach bells to clothing and carry pepper spray in defense of bear attack. The bells are a non-alarming manner of alerting bears to your presence. It is also important to familiarize yourself with bear scat (poop) to ascertain which sub-species of bear you are dealing with. Black bear scat contains berry seeds and particles of rodent fur. Grizzly bear scat contains bells & smells like pepper spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Climb-Utah.com advises those hiking in remote areas to attach bells to clothing and carry pepper spray in defense of bear attack. The bells are a non-alarming manner of alerting bears to your presence. It is also important to familiarize yourself with bear scat (poop) to ascertain which sub-species of bear you are dealing with. Black bear scat contains berry seeds and particles of rodent fur. Grizzly bear scat contains bells & smells like pepper spray.
    You should change that to say "attach some balls". Black bears almost always turn and run the other way when they see humans, and there arent any grizz on the CP. It helps to take along a partner who is fatter and slower than yourself just in case. And if someone feels the need to pet a cub they deserve to get eaten by mama bear.

Quote Originally Posted by canyondevil View Post
    It helps to take along a partner who is fatter and slower than yourself just in case.
    So if you survey a group of friends you are canyoneering with and can't decide who the bear bait (slowest) is.....

..........that probably means it's you!

Quote Originally Posted by canyondevil View Post
    Black bears almost always turn and run the other way when they see humans.
    the key is almost. when they don't they're gonna eat you. that is why it is recommended to fight back if attacked by a black bear. you are supposed to play dead if attacked by a grizzly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._North_America

i also have a hard time finding people to hike with that are slower than me..
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Want to really shake up a flatlander or city slicker on their first visit to the wilderness? Try this.
    Two guys hiking in the mountains on a trail come around a corner and see a massive grizzly right ahead of them. One is terror stricken and frozen in fear. The other calmly sits down, takes off his hiking boots, reaches in his pack, pulls out a pair of running shoes and puts them on. The other says to him, "You know you can't outrun a bear!" The other replies, "I don't have to run faster than the bear, I just have to run faster than you!"
    Told that old joke to a friend of ours from Kansas years ago that we took camping & hiking in the mountains for his very first time. That really shook him up. He later confessed he hardly slept at all that night. (we had slept out under the stars.)

Grizzly bear scat contains bells & smells like pepper spray.
    Awesome.

Saw some cougar tracks in Moab once. Bear tracks take the cake though! Sneaky little buggers...or big buggers I guess..

I always look for cougars when hiking...

20. Likes Don liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I always look for cougars when hiking...
    I always look out for cougars when I go clubbing.... snicker... snicker...

and how's that working out for you?
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

You're safe. Any women old enough to be your cougar is in a nursing home.
    Life is Good

24. Likes ratagonia, restrac2000 liked this post