Thread: Upper Black Box--Rockfall Trailhead--June 16, 2012

Upper Black Box--Rockfall Trailhead--June 16, 2012

After 2 years trying to do the Upper Black Box, we were finally able to get it done.

The canyon is amazing and we were fortunate enough to do it what I would consider ideal conditions. I know some prefer a more exciting adventure with more flow, and maybe I will someday, but for our group it was near perfect.

We were expecting cold water and was very surprised to find the water temp a very relaxing 75
    Attached Images Attached Images                              

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Looks like a good time was had by all

Nice. I have no excuse for not having done the Black Boxes yet...gotta put it on my to-do list. How much walking/wading versus swimming was there at that flow rate?
    Blog | FB

Looks like a fun day in the sun. Thanks for the TR and pictures

This looks like a blast, especially for getting new people involved. My wife has some sisters who are getting interested. I need to get down there. Great TR
    - Gavin

Sweet! Black Box is on our short list.

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    How much walking/wading versus swimming was there at that flow rate?

Dennis, we figured we were in the canyon for about 1.5 miles and we walked maybe 20%, waded about 60% and were floating/swimming about 20%. I floated with my feet forward as much as I could in some of the wading sections to avoid tripping over submerged boulders (like Jen did in the video ).

Getting down to the rap station can be a little intimidating, but just take your time and you should have no problem.

10. Likes Udink liked this post
    Thanks everyone for your kind words. We were all smiles on the hike back and looking forward to doing it again!

Did you leave your rope and pick it up on the way back or did you carry through the canyon?

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexico View Post
    Did you leave your rope and pick it up on the way back or did you carry through the canyon?
    We left our rope fixed to the anchor and retrieved it later. The group ahead of us also left theirs fixed and we told them that we would pull it and set it out of the way. They also left their harnesses in a bag attached to the end of the rope so they didn't have to carry them as well. Worked very well...just make sure there is nothing to get stuck on the pull.

Thanks for posting, and it was nice meeting you and your group. Great pics and yes, it was a fantastic day! My son and I met you on the boulders just after your rappel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    Thanks for posting, and it was nice meeting you and your group. Great pics and yes, it was a fantastic day! My son and I met you on the boulders just after your rappel.
    Yes, it was nice meeting y'all too. I should have flashed you the Bogley gang sign .