Thread: Fishing in solitude and an expensive lesson..

Fishing in solitude and an expensive lesson..

My family headed up early to the reunion and I stayed behind to work for 2 days and head up. The plan was to fish a tiger lake on the way then head up to join the family late Friday night. I pulled up and the lake was as full as it could possibly be and for the first time in a long time there was not a soul at the lake! I started out fishing and got one that was the perfect color but just 3 inches from going on my wall I would really want to get this fish in 1-2 years and mount it!

Then the unthinkable happened! I had a hit on the fly rod and as I went to grab it somehow I hit my spinning rod and to the bottom of the lake it went. This is a $475 dollar outfit a G-Loomis rod and shimano Stardic reel sitting in about 25 feet of water! I rowed back to get my backup rod but was sick and the only thing I could think of fishing for was my rig. I only had 2 heavy lures that would have any chance of getting my outfit back. Unfortunately both of them joined the loss at the bottom of the lake. I even stripped down and attempted to go for a swim. But in deep murky water and a lightning storm solo in the middle of no where I thought better and decided to cut my losses. The chance of getting caught up in some weeds out in the middle of no where solo is not a good place for a father of 2 young kids to take chances. I can replace a rod, I can't replace me!

I though my wife was going to kill me! She was SO cool about it and said, you are going to Yellowstone next weekend you better get to cabella's this week and get a new one! She said she was going to get me golf lessons for fathers day but hadn't bought them yet so take the money and go get a new rod. I am a smarter man to argue and I am going back Monday to get the same set up! Fishing with the backup setup while still a good rod, I just don't have the same feel I can see how that equipment makes me a better fisherman!

Attempting to salvage the weekend I took some of the downtime to go for a hike and explore a couple of new nearby lakes. I had a blast! Although nothing of monster size to write home about I did get 4 species and once again had the spot all to myself.

This is where the river dumps into the reservior:

A view back to the dam:

A small brown:

A rainbow:

A cut:

Pretty Brook Trout:

I ended up getting about 50 fish and got 5 different species for the weekend. Amazingly these mid teen cuts fought harder than the slot cuts at the berry. Plus I spent some time looking at the forest service maps I have my eyes on some new hike in spots for exploration next reunion.
    Eat it you dirty little fish!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sound like the fish gods required a down payment, rather than a donation this time around. Man, that sucks. Your wife rocks to give you her blessing for new gear.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Sucks about your rod and reel...That's definitely a nice Tiger though!