Thread: Summer Canyoneering Advice

Summer Canyoneering Advice

Hello everyone,
    So I'm planning a trip for next weekend and I was wonderin if anyone has any recommendations for physical intermediate slots that are bearable in summer and that are near water.

Normally I'd plan a trip to Zion, but it would be rushed (leavin Denver mid saturday and must be back by Wed evening) and with a weeks notice I'd imagine it's difficult to get permits and campsites n such in Zion.

I've heard Neon/Ringtail/Choprock would be a good choice and they're high on my list, I'm considering those. I know Neon and Choprock are really long days, is the approach brutal in the heat of summer?

Any thoughts on the Hogs? I know there is a spring and a pool halfway between the rest stop and the Hogs, is there camping here? If there is not camping at the pool, I was thinkin about camping up top and descending a canyon early, then spending the hot afternoon by the pool, then returning to camp around dark... does this sound like a reasonable/fun couple of days (if you're familiar with the area)?

I know The Black Hole is a great summer adventure, but I was really hopin for some moderate stemming or pothole escapes or anchor challenges, anyone know of any canyons like that near The Black Hole?

Thanks,
    Sam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The hike out of the Hogs is brutally hot and very steep. The spring is quite a ways from the end of the canyons. It is a really hot area. I would not recommend it if you are looking for a balmy place. There is no shade by the entrance of the canyons or where you park your vehicle. I did the canyons in April and they were totally bone dry, and scorching even then . Maybe cheesebox, or something in Cedar mesa? . Duckette canyon is really cool and underrated. I did Duckette and Fry a couple weeks ago. I don't know why Fry is so popular (except for the ruins at the end) because it's not very impressive. I guess because it's right by the road? If you do Duckette with only one rappel at the end, it makes for some REALLY fun down-climbing and there are a couple pools.

For CP canyoneering If I was not heading to Zion I'd probably find something else to do.... its to dang hot and the slots are to dry to make playing in the desert a great experience at the moment.... and high stemming canyons would be brutal with no water and the rock scorthing hot and burning you hands with every placement.... YMMV...

When will Ourray be in season this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-wild View Post
    I don't know why Fry is so popular
    Because its an easy beginner slot located next to a major highway, The canyon is very forgiving and mistakes are easy to correct and not deadly. The slot is pretty and has Anasazi ruins..... those items combined pretty much guarantee a slot will be popular.

Zion is surely the best of the areas to go in summer, but upper Escalante is also reasonable. Canyons like Death Hollow, Boulder Creek, 40 Mile/Willow area good even for those whom despise heat. They aren't very technical though.

If you want something technical in upper Escalante, there are some good (but fairly short) technical side slots of Boulder Creek. Some of them have some nice pothole obstacles (which is what it sound like you are looking for) and once you are at Boulder Creek, it's a really nice place to be in summer. There are many crystal clear swimming holes and it's very beautiful. The water is running, clear and clean. Highly recommended. If you only have 2-3 days in the summer time and don't want to go to Zion, I'd go here. Do the technical slots in the morning and by the time it heats up you will be soaking it up in paradise.

Boulder Mountain has some class C canyons with water in them that should be good in summer, but I've never found anyone willing to try them, so I haven't gone yet.

The Hogs? No way I would go there now. I guess you could go through in the morning and have a car shuttle so you didn't have to climb back up, but it doesn't sound good to me.

Some of the White Canyon stuff is pretty reasonable this time of year. Cheesbox, Black Hole and Short Canyon should be OK. Crescent Creek is a good summer one in the Henry Mountains.

Aztec Creek is really good in summer (although a boat pickup would be nice). It has many technnical side slots (even the main fork is a little technical in places), but you need several days to do anything. West Canyon is also a good one for summer, but it also takes several days.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    When will Ourray be in season this year?
    Ouray is in season now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post

If you want something technical in upper Escalante, there are some good (but fairly short) technical side slots of Boulder Creek. Some of them have some nice pothole obstacles (which is what it sound like you are looking for) and once you are at Boulder Creek, it's a really nice place to be in summer. There are many crystal clear swimming holes and it's very beautiful. The water is running, clear and clean. Highly recommended. If you only have 2-3 days in the summer time and don't want to go to Zion, I'd go here. Do the technical slots in the morning and by the time it heats up you will be soaking it up in paradise.

Boulder Mountain has some class C canyons with water in them that should be good in summer, but I've never found anyone willing to try them, so I haven't gone yet.

My wife and I are going to be in Boulder in two weeks and we're looking for something to do that will get us out of 100 degree sun. Sounds like you have some experience in the area?
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

I enjoyed the the section of Fry around the rappel a ton! Worth doing the canyon for in my mind. The slotted up stuff with water before the bridge was kinda fun too. The other canyons in the area that we did were better overall but Fry was fun for a little effort. Duckette had the biggest payout for the littlest effort though. Tons of fun!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    Hello everyone,
    So I'm planning a trip for next weekend and I was wonderin if anyone has any recommendations for physical intermediate slots that are bearable in summer and that are near water.

Normally I'd plan a trip to Zion, but it would be rushed (leavin Denver mid saturday and must be back by Wed evening) and with a weeks notice I'd imagine it's difficult to get permits and campsites n such in Zion.

I've heard Neon/Ringtail/Choprock would be a good choice and they're high on my list, I'm considering those. I know Neon and Choprock are really long days, is the approach brutal in the heat of summer?

Any thoughts on the Hogs? I know there is a spring and a pool halfway between the rest stop and the Hogs, is there camping here? If there is not camping at the pool, I was thinkin about camping up top and descending a canyon early, then spending the hot afternoon by the pool, then returning to camp around dark... does this sound like a reasonable/fun couple of days (if you're familiar with the area)?

I know The Black Hole is a great summer adventure, but I was really hopin for some moderate stemming or pothole escapes or anchor challenges, anyone know of any canyons like that near The Black Hole?

Thanks,
    Sam
    Neon / Ringtail / Choprock - NO means NO. http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/...nte-june-2012/

I think the Blackhole is out of season, too. The wet part is only 25% of the journey.

Fry is good when it is wet.

Hogs? No.

Ouray, if you are up for it! But that's mostly real Class C stuff, and a rope-eater to boot.

Tom