Thread: Keyhole conditions

Mountain Man

Keyhole conditions

I'm seeing May 23 and 29 as the last two reports.

Doable w/o wetsuits anyone? Would like to go on 6/22.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by dsr70 View Post
    I'm seeing May 23 and 29 as the last two reports.

Doable w/o wetsuits anyone? Would like to go on 6/22.
    Wetsuit is a must, I wore a 3/2 full and could barely stand it. (on the 23rd). The others in my group wore 7mm and loved it. (overkill, but comfortable)

Go with a 4/3 and you should be comfortable.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Was there on 06-03, canyon was drying out fast. No swims at all for me (but I'm 6'3"), not more than waist deep before the dreaded slanted corridor, which was the deepest water. Had 4/3, was comfortable (and I usually get cold), others in group had 3/2 and were comfortable. On 5/21 I went through but water was higher and I was a bit chilled. In current conditions one could probably make it through without suits and just hurry through the last part of the canyon. However any storms that refill the canyon might very well change that. I generally recommend wetsuits if for no other reason than being able to relax and enjoy the canyon, especially if taking a large and/or inexperienced group through that will involve a lot of time just standing around.

Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar
    On May 22nd I would not have been without my 4/3 wetsuit, as the water was pretty cold and we were in no big rush

It also required headlamps, as we didn't arrive at the trailhead until about 9pm

I took a group through on 5/21 (including a 9,10, 11 and 12 year old. The kids wore a 3/2 with a 3/2 Shorty on top. They were very comfortable. That being said, the water was chilly however not nearly as bad as the cathedral in Pinecreek. I would go through without a wetsuit and would not be concerned. As long as you keep moving, you would be fine. Plan your raps so that no one is waiting in a pool and you will be fine. The canyon is so short and the amount oof water is low. I think you would be fine, albeit a bit chilly at times....