Thread: Harness for skinny canyons

Harness for skinny canyons

Interested in people's input on the best harness(es) for the skinny canyons; i.e. something that takes the abuse and doesn't have too many gear loops and other stuff that just gets in the way, abraids, hangs up, etc.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I often use a diaper sling in the skinny stuff to avoid destroying gear.

How to Make A Diaper Sling
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?23400

Mine doesn't have too many gear loops... I lost one to Middle Lep and one to Alcatraz ahaha.

Shane's diaper sling is where it's at, recently a buddy of mine forgot his harness while sport climbing and we used this setup.
    We used it only to belay and whoever was climbing used the real harness, but the diaper sling harness took a few lead falls and performed properly, it was actually kinda comfortable (after some ball adjusting).

It does however, tend to pull the biner in such a way so that it becomes cross loaded.
    To remedy this, I pulled the right waist loop to the left of the between-the-legs loop and the left waist loop to the right of the between-the-legs loop, then clipped the biner.

Thanks guys. Started out years ago using a swami seat with 1" tubular and never had a problem with that. Pretty much bomb proof, goes on faster than a harness and wasn't too bad on the crotch. That may be the best way to go in places like middle Lep or Shenanigans, but if anybody has some actual harness recommendations, still interested.

6. Likes Win liked this post
    Most skinnies have few raps and/or they are far apart, so...harness generally stays in the pack except for rappels. Voila!

Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    but if anybody has some actual harness recommendations, still interested.
    BD Alpine BOD

there is a big reaason it is by far the most popular harness for CP canyoneering

Ditto for the BD Alpine Bod. I have three of these as extra harnesses for guests/ youth groups on canyon trips. Hard to beat at $40

Thanks again. I'll take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    BD Alpine BOD

there is a big reaason it is by far the most popular harness for CP canyoneering
    Thats what I have gone to as well. Its not as comfortable as my Momentum AL but it takes up less space in my pack and was quite a bit cheaper. Although for Mid Lep and Shenanny I think I will try the webbing next time. Everything gets thrashed in there.

Quote Originally Posted by canyondevil View Post
    Thats what I have gone to as well. Its not as comfortable as my Momentum AL but it takes up less space in my pack and was quite a bit cheaper. Although for Mid Lep and Shenanny I think I will try the webbing next time. Everything gets thrashed in there.
    Scarcely any raps in either of those canyons. Only one in Middle Lep (and that's not mandatory for all). Only 2 in Shenanny, conveniently located at beginning and end.

Why wear a harness all the way through a skinny slot where wiggle room is scarce? I'd like to hear rationales from folks that do.

The Arteryx s-220 is ultra minimalist and really comfy. Without a bunch of metal hanging off it you'll forget you have it on.

I don't do much squeezing but if you are looking for something paired down I highly recommend it. Really well constructed, though, if you like to carve a lot of sandstone with your hips I'm not sure how it would hold up.

"Why wear a harness all the way through a skinny slot where wiggle room is scarce? I'd like to hear rationales from folks that do."

In the skinnies I usually carry all my tech gear on my harness and my water/emergency overnight/cold water gear in my backpack. This allows me to carry the extraneous supplies that I like to bring and still fit through the canyon. If I were to put my harness, 50 foot rope (which hangs daisy-chained from my harness), ATC, some biners, slings, ascenders and all that fun stuff in my pack, it just wouldn't fit through those tight parts.

FWIW: The biggest advantage to the BD Alpine BOD in the skinnies is that it goes on and comes off faster then any other harness I know of.

The biggest advantage for canyoneering in general is that the harness is easy to put on and take off while perched 50' up in a mae west, or while standing in a foot of mud, snow or petrid water because you don't have to step through any leg loops.

BD Alpine Bod Harness

Name:  alpine_bod.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  23.0 KB

I much prefer starting with the BD Bod harness, then, I cut out the padding.

With the regular bod, you get thicker back straps (way more durable) and a belay loop. You don't have to use the belay loop, but, you get one so its a nice option.

I think also, for lightweight, size/space considerations, I'd consider a BD Coulior. Wouldn't be that durable (maybe some seam grip on the wear points). 8 ounces. Tiny little thing.

Mine doesn't fit super well, but, used it in the Tetons last summer for the standard rap off the Grand and worked just fine.

Interesting that it comes with a small belay loop, while the Alpine Bod doesn't. I also like the little buckle pockets that might keep the small buckles protected. Nicely done. Just wish it fit a tad better.

Probably not that durable, though...

I've liked the Black Diamond Couloir Mountaineering Harness quite a bit so far. Pretty minimal

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    "Why wear a harness all the way through a skinny slot where wiggle room is scarce? I'd like to hear rationales from folks that do."

In the skinnies I usually carry all my tech gear on my harness and my water/emergency overnight/cold water gear in my backpack. This allows me to carry the extraneous supplies that I like to bring and still fit through the canyon. If I were to put my harness, 50 foot rope (which hangs daisy-chained from my harness), ATC, some biners, slings, ascenders and all that fun stuff in my pack, it just wouldn't fit through those tight parts.
    Thanks for the reply, SRG. Yeah, if your pack doesn't fit, neither do you. I am averse to wearing anything girth-increasing or snaggy (i probably have a few inches on you ) and the pack always fits* so i keep everything but the helmet in it when not rapping. It's one of those skinny Petzl cylinders that is totally round so it hardly ever gets stuck. Interesting how pack choice can influence whether a harness is worn (out) or not. :)

Hank,
    Yeah getting snagged definitely is a big downside to carrying all my gear on my gear loops.
    Usually it's just an annoyance but sometimes its dangerous, once I almost ate it on a precarious down climb cause I got my foot snagged on a piece of webbing dangling from my harness.
    The Petzl PVC silo thingy is probably more cost effective than buying a new harness every season... I should look into that haha.
    -Sam

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    The Petzl PVC silo thingy is probably more cost effective than buying a new harness every season... I should look into that haha.
    -Sam
    Yah, i've been dragging the same one through the skinnies for over a decade (with foam liner). they are bomber.