Thread: 6/9/12 - Zero Gravity (DRY!)

Blog Entries

6/9/12 - Zero Gravity (DRY!)

A video my buddy Jeff filmed and edited:

To quote Jeff:
    "I thought it would be a unique experience to do Zero Gravity when it is dry (or at least very low water). It is a super fun canyon when there is tons of water!

It was 98 degrees around the time we did Zero Gravity, but there was a nice 10-15mph wind to help cool us down on the way up to Zero G. Pretty much all the good swimming holes and places to jump in were completely dry. The big swimming hole where you can pretty much always jump off was only about 4ft deep. It was missing about 4+ feet of more water. I wouldn't recommend jumping in at that level.

There is a tight squeeze at the end and in the video there was some blue webbing there. It's not usually not there but was nice to have when only having 1 hand due to filming. The water was deep enough that you could still jump into the last pool at the end like I usually do, but wasn't sure of the current depth and was too tired to climb back up.

Zero G is about 5.27miles (per the GPS, see pic below. Actually it about 3miles) roundtrip with a 670ft vertical elevation gain; and it took us 2 hours to do.

This video is fast forwarded a little more than normal just because there is a lot of slot and I wanted to show how long it is."

Enjoy!

The swell is very very dry.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Excellent! Where is he parking for the hike to be 5.27 miles? Is it really that far? Seems like nothing.
    Life is Good

Nice vid! He really has a talent for picking cool music to accompany his videos. I really liked the "fast forward" action on the end of a GoPro stick. I always run into the problem that I think my footage is boring, and this really solves the dilemma. I'm gonna steal this trick and use it on my future videos. Loved the frog action, Awesome!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Where is he parking for the hike to be 5.27 miles? Is it really that far? Seems like nothing.
    I'd guess he is in a car and parking at the rough obstacale just before Iron Wash. That would make for a 5 mile round trip. I have Zero-G listed at 3 miles round trip when parking at the TH on my website.

I've parked at Iron Wash before and you really don't notice the extra 2 miles as it is easy road walking and only adds about 30 minutes to the loop.

Dang... that is really dry. I've done the route a couple dozen times and never seen it anywhere near that dry.

Blog Entries
    Name:  zero g.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  40.6 KB

Here's a pic from the GPS. Apparently, the GPS went a little for a bit, and recorded another 2 - 2 1/2 miles, when it should of been just a little over 3 miles for the round trip.

Btw, the green circle is where we parked.
    The "Zero G TH" is where Shane has it posted to park. We park a little north, right by the road sign.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Apparently, the GPS went a little for a bit

Trying out my new GPS in Kannara Creek I was suprised to see that we'd hiked over 8 miles. Wow, that sure was an easy 8 miles--then saw the track on the map...

My elevation change was messed up too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Trying out my new GPS in Kannara Creek I was suprised to see that we'd hiked over 8 miles. Wow, that sure was an easy 8 miles--then saw the track on the map...

My elevation change was messed up too.
    What GPS did you use?
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    What GPS did you use?
    I have a Garmin Map60csx.

Love it, but too hard to get a lock on more than 1 or 2 sats in the bottom of a slot.