Thread: Epic Birds Eye Video of Factory Butte & Temple Mountain

Epic Birds Eye Video of Factory Butte & Temple Mountain

I spent a fantastic couple of days camping out in the deserts around Goblin Valley shooting aerial video of some of the neatest formations I've seen.

Factory Butte was so spectacular that I decided to just camp there in my truck so I could shoot video at sunrise, and WOW was it breathtaking. I ended up staying the entire day so I could film it at different hours of the day and went back again for another trip to shoot it at sunset.

Temple Mountain was incredibly unique. The color of the minerals makes it unlike anything I've ever seen. I want to go back and get some views of it from other angles, but the video I got was pretty amazing at sunset.

I composed an original soundtrack for this vid, it needed something specific and customized. I hope everybody enjoys it.

I'll be posting another video in a few weeks of a location I found that's not on any of my maps. It's a dry river bed just North of Factory Butte that is reminiscent of Goblin Valley, but the formations are white and jagged instead of red and bulbous. I roamed around in there for a few hours really enjoying all the unique shapes and got some neat footage.

2. Likes hikster11 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsEyeVideos View Post
    I spent a fantastic couple of days camping out in the deserts around Goblin Valley shooting aerial video of some of the neatest formations I've seen.
    Todd, these videos are simply amazing! Love the cinematography, the subject and the soundtracks! I'm intrigued....you must have live video feed to navigate by?!

The video "Kayenta" is filmed in my stomping grounds (I live in Ivins at the base of Red Mountain). I recognized all of the areas in the video as I have spent 20+ years exploring Red Mountain, Kayenta, Snow Canyon etc. I even recognised the short clip at Black Rocks when the Owl, or Raptor flew from within the cliffband! I have hiked, climbed and explored most of the areas that were presented in the video and it's awesome to see the terrain from a "birdseye view". Thanks! Keep 'em' coming!

amazing stuff, awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Todd, these videos are simply amazing! Love the cinematography, the subject and the soundtracks! I'm intrigued....you must have live video feed to navigate by?!
    It's very gratifying to know the work is appreciated, because it takes a significant effort to put these videos together. Thanks!

Yes, the live video feed is broadcast back from the plane and displayed in some video goggles. It's like having an out-of-body experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    The video "Kayenta" is filmed in my stomping grounds (I live in Ivins at the base of Red Mountain). I recognized all of the areas in the video as I have spent 20+ years exploring Red Mountain, Kayenta, Snow Canyon etc. I even recognised the short clip at Black Rocks when the Owl, or Raptor flew from within the cliffband! I have hiked, climbed and explored most of the areas that were presented in the video and it's awesome to see the terrain from a "birdseye view". Thanks! Keep 'em' coming!
    Well I'm jealous, that area is a beautiful place. I wish I could break away and get down there more often. While filming I met another local resident who told me about the pools and ponds and I was surprised when I started flying low over the cliff tops to see just how many there were.

I want to come back some time when there's been a fresh storm and get video of that waterfall coming down the face in Kayenta. You could clearly see the stain on the cliffs where it would be. It wasn't running when I was there. I'll bet it's amazing. Next time I come down, maybe we can hook up and go do a hike up to the top. I have no idea how to get up there, but I'll wager there's some really cool stuff to see.

For anybody reading this conversation, I'm including a link to the Kayenta video.

More cool stuff to come!

Todd

Welcome Todd, I have been posting your videos here as a community service. There will be no charge.....

Yeah, I noticed you'd already posted this one after I created this thread. Thanks for helping spread the word!

I've been enjoying the forum since you introduced me to it months ago, and will be frequenting I'm sure until I expire. I'll be gleaning good info about other places to hike & fly. In the future, I'll create new threads for the videos as I release them so they're easier to search with a descriptive title. I may even start doing a travel blog on here, since a lot of the forum content is centered around the experience of planning and implementing outdoor adventures. Way cool.

I wish I had told you about Wild Horse Window before you went down there. Would have been sweet to fly up through it, or down through it!

I haven't heard of that! Wow, just looked it up. That would be so cool! Well I've put it on my list of things to do next time I go down. It looks similar to Bowtie arch. I want to dedicate a trip to the Reef & Swell, so that'd fit in perfectly. So spectacular! It was too windy to get much good video when I was there last time, so I just hung out at the west lookout and enjoyed the sunset.

Excellent stuff, and welcome to bogley!

It's very gratifying to know the work is appreciated, because it takes a significant effort to put these videos together. Thanks!

Yes, the live video feed is broadcast back from the plane and displayed in some video goggles. It's like having an out-of-body experience!
    That sounds so cool! A virtual low level scouting flight! Do you find yourself waving and leaning your body and head when you do dives, rolls and whipstalls?

Well I'm jealous, that area is a beautiful place. I wish I could break away and get down there more often. While filming I met another local resident who told me about the pools and ponds and I was surprised when I started flying low over the cliff tops to see just how many there were.
    I love going up after rain or snow. Tons of ponds and waterfalls.

I want to come back some time when there's been a fresh storm and get video of that waterfall coming down the face in Kayenta. You could clearly see the stain on the cliffs where it would be. It wasn't running when I was there. I'll bet it's amazing. Next time I come down, maybe we can hook up and go do a hike up to the top. I have no idea how to get up there, but I'll wager there's some really cool stuff to see.
    Sometimes that waterfall in Hellhole Canyon really gets roaring. It is a beautiful sight for sure! On the east side (where you were flying over the second big "waterhole" in your video) the slickrock field abruptly drops off and snowmelt creates a beautiful waterfall on the northern end of that white slickrock field. Would love to meet you and watch you do your thing with your Dragon thingy airplane! I spent 9 years hang-gliding, but this RC flying looks as though I might be able to do it someday and not even get hurt!

For anybody reading this conversation, I'm including a link to the Kayenta video.

More cool stuff to come!

Todd
    Look forward to seeing more. I subscribed to your youtube, so will keep an eye out for sure!

Bogley BigShot

While I was down at Factory Butte doing this video, I shot some stills of the Butte. It took months for me to get around to actually stitching the panorama together. It's built from five sequential photos. I actually got the best lighting during this shoot, which I did at first light, and then did the video work afterwards when the sun had come up a bit.

Name:  Factory Butte Sunrise 01.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  33.4 KB

It's rare to see the sun, and be able to see the shadows it is casting 180 degrees the other direction in a single photo. This is about 240 degrees, and I really like it because those little slips of cloud created this perfect little window of light that hit the butte but left the terrain around it in shadow. The shadow cast by the butte across the landscape behind is also silhouetted nicely. The blip of mountains in the background is the Henries. You get a real appreciation for the alien appearance of the dunes around the butte from this angle.

I need to go back and do this again on a morning when there are some nice clouds in the sky.

BTW, I made a new Bogley login so people could recognize me by my name, rather than by the video branding name "Birds Eye Videos". I'll likely be using this one from now on.

My goodness Todd, your avi makes you look like you just knocked off the local 7evy!

Great shot though. Just did Wildhorse window on Saturday and it was georgous! Let me know when you want to run down there again.

Excellent videos! Can you give us the specs on the plane your using, the video camera and FPV gear? I've recently gotten in to aerial video and have a ton to learn. For now I'm using and electric glider with a Contour HD camera and am learning to fly a quad copter, but the video I get looks nothing like the quality of yours!
    bearcanyon.wordpress.com

Gringorio,

If you load my video in YouTube, all the plane specs are in the description. I'm just about done with a new video that I'll be posting next Monday, if all goes well.

Just posted up a new video, for those that are interested. Bridal Veil Falls in winter!

20. Likes Scott Card liked this post
    Great stuff. Keep 'em coming!
    Life is Good