Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire Selection

Tire Selection

I once ran an mx31 (I think that's what it was). In any case it was a soft tire. It was amazing for about 100 miles! Absolute stickiness. Problem was that after a couple of weekends it was done. If I was racing or got free tires I'd totally run a soft tire. But since I'm not u run the mx71 since it lasts a long time.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Tire Selection

I'm always hoping to find the elusive soft tire that lasts. This tire had cracks in the knobbies after the first ride. I thought it would be toast after a very rides. I'm on my 8th ride for approx. total of 500 miles. 70 of those miles were pavement. That's exceptional for a soft tire. Also the best climbing tire I've used. I'll track exact miles on the new tire when I put it on. Geek!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

I've been running this one too and really dig it. Longevity could be an issue, but doesn't seem to be for @Garbanzo. I dont get to ride as often as I would like, so I might as well have the best traction possible when I do.

The D606 is a definite must for two riders. My wife and I have been in some pretty hairy situations for a heavy bike (DR650) and heavy riders. It is nice not having to worry about your rear tire when you are out in timbuktu.

Just finished off the IRC rear. I could probably continue, but it's spinning a bit too much on the uphills. I have a new one in the shed ready to be installed. It's the only rear tire I will buy from now on.
    Absolutely hooks up like no other and has lasted as long as an mid terrain tire I've tried. I've only run one DOT tire (Metzler 6 days) and it was terrible. It also didn't last.
    I can't speak for the D606 or any other DOT/Hard Terrain Tire. Just my honest opinion. I just wish I hadn't fought it for so long!

I put a Pirelli scorpian mid hard 554 on my CR 250 last week. I will post up after a few rides on how it holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Warp View Post
    I put a Pirelli scorpian mid hard 554 on my CR 250 last week. I will post up after a few rides on how it holds up.
    I really like the Pirelli Mid hard on the front. That will be next. Running a Dunlop mx31. I really don't care for it.

OK, I couldn't help myself. Trying the Maxxis EN on front. I've heard Maxxis IT aren't a good front, but the EN looks line a very good tread pattern. I mounted the new IRC rear and will get exact hrs and miles. Just for shits and giggles. :D

I'm just a noob at best but I am running my Maxxis desert IT on the front of my XR with a Dun 606 on the rear. WOrks as good as anything else on this pig.
    My YZ has never felt better than with a 603 up front and I had great fun with the 604 in the rear but have gone to the mx71 and it is a great tire so far for my neck of the scrub.
    On the YZ I run my tire at 13lbs up front and 13.5 on the back with both the 604 and the mx71 with great pleasure and fun for sure.

On a side note: that 604 gives me by far bar none the very best traction but it does not wear well. But while in the SLC area and into American Fork trails it was great.
    THis here MX71 is as eqaul in the desert for sure but I think I would run the 604 in the high pine country over this one if I or when I can.

Just my two cents worth and yes I have not given the IRS a try yet.

I know it is the one to go to for the desert races as from what I hear for the rear.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

Oh and by the way the Dun. 606 I keep going back to on the BRP is nothing less than simple costs.

See I can not afford a new tire every ride when I take the beast master out so? 606 it is.

Anything else is just doomed from the word go..........

But in honesty if at best I can only get about 500 miles out of the 606 Dunlop on that machine so that's what I do.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.