Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Selection

Tire Selection

I have not rode a lot and have seen maybe a dozen tires inside a year and a half.
    Mostly rear tires on my beast XR650R.

But awhile back a friend from Vegas (nelsonccc) mentioned a tire that he swears by for the front.
    So I was tired as hell of always washing out and decided to give it a try, Why not I told myself.

Turns out this is some of the best advise I have ever received.

THIS TIRE ROCKS UP FRONT

I can't see myself ever changing from this set up.

By the way I matched it up with the Briggy 604 on the rear and she is holding up very well for the high country single track stuff even in the dark without a lamp.

So far so good and I have given her hell and then some with no noticeable wear.

She's durable enough and holds like glue even when you mess up and are 45* out with the back tire completely blown beyond the berm.

Thank You nelsonccc for some great advise.

Oh did I mention this tire ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It makes an excellent tire for our type of riding. I've found the rear to be good as well but it seems to wear a bit faster than I would like which is why I run a MX71 on the rear now. The nice thing about the 603 is it continues to stick even as it gets worn.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I could not agree more and yet to try the 71 but it won't be long now.

After a little heat treated clay with the desert rocks that always seem to be half in and half out of what I can only describe as concrete gone bad.
    She is wearing much faster than that lovely black pine and aspen dirt.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

I need a rear tire for mine. What should I use?

I hear Kenda has a desert tire that lasts well.

Has anybody ever tried or know of anybody who has tried these? Kenda k270 ? I think for the rear or maybe a 720K

The Kenda 270 is a dual Sport tire. It's a great tire and what I've been running on my DR650 for 4 years now. They need to be replaced about once a year. Super long lasting.

The Maxxis Desert IT and the Dunlop MX71 are my two go to rear tires. The Desert IT is nicer at the beginning but once it starts to chunk it goes to hell quickly. The MX71 seems to wear a bit more evenly and last as long as the Maxxis. Which is why I'm currently running the MX71 on the YZ. It's a really good tire.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Wish Dunlop made the 606 for us 19" users as I love it on my beast xr.

THe traction is OK but dang if it don't last forever compaired to the rest.

But this I do know: Stay away from Sadona's and Perilli's for sure less your made of big daddy bucks and like a new tire once a week.
    I'm about half way on Maxxis Desert IT and have yet to try out the mx71 the 51 was good at first but like the rest it proved just to darn soft in the long run.

My biggest enemy is myself as I just love the throttle and can careless about anything but the ride that I'm on at the time and it does cost me hardcore.
    I can eat any tire in one weekend without a problem by just being myself and having fun....................here in the deserts.

In short my life troubles melt away just slightly faster than my rear tire does.

So how much does this here Kinda 270 go for nelsonccc?
    I herd they are very economical.
    Source maybe?

Going to give the IRC M5B a shot as recommended by @Garbanzo

Yah baby I had the same info from Chet says they rock in the hill climbs in sand.neener, neener, neener.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Going to give the IRC M5B a shot as recommended by @Garbanzo
    So far, so good. Very good hookup. Longevity still in question.
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

More tread please! Could have used this today... Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340510376.994288.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  33.2 KB

Good heck looks mine after the race and I know I'm good for maybe two more rides

MX71 I say but I do have this little problem I EAT REAR TIRES FASTER THAN PANCAKES

Bad throttle, bad throttle, Easy boy.........

Name:  IMG_1807.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  89.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   

K so like forget the last two picts I have yet to figure out this here new UPYOURSGRADE
    So I 'm trying a 110/80-19 yes that's right us old school boys run a 19 unless we are on our old school stuff with an 18 rear then it's all Dunlop 606 for sure
    The only difference that I can see from a far is the heigth but it should be more norrowand you just can't see it from a distance.
    So for sure get up close as we ride and I will so you just what it will do.

But don't worry be happy it is after all a MX71 JUST RIGHT FOR MY HOOD. May dig in a bit deeper than dorm in the sand but will give the run through all the same I hope.

Name:  IMG_1806.JPG
Views: 371
Size:  105.8 KBWOW acca I just noticed your rear Skinny little bitch aint ya with an 18
    Wait till you get 50 and it will be a 19

Normally I think change is good but when it is a techy thing it sure busts my but and I can not get rid of the two offending picts for nothing as of yet.

I'm so happy with my 603 Bridgestony up front that I will take the advice once again and head towards a MX71 for my rear, Thanks nelsonccc it rocked in my race for every thing, mud,sand,and mostly them darn slippery wet boulders on the far side of the bank and with proper tire pressure even the nasty imbedded rocks in second gear were a snap.

After much speculation I took Chets advice and purchased an IRB M5B rear tire. I knew it would be soft, so I didn't really want to spend the money on it. It is BY FAR the best rear tire i have owned. It has lasted as longer and hooks up better than any tire I have owned. Its near bald and has some chunking, but is still hooking up wonderfully. I purchased a replacement a month ago, and I just haven't had to put it on yet. Very impressed!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

I like the softer tires for traction but it does get a bit pricy.
    They never wear well.