Thread: Mountain Lion On Sardine Peak

Mountain Lion On Sardine Peak

Hey just got back from an almost ride with Sombeech and his crew at Sardine Peak near Snowbasin. I say "almost" because I had to continue on without them due to time constraints. They got held up by the law. Lol. I guess they got pulled over. What happened Sombeech? You guys get stripsearched? After arriving at Sardine Peak I headed down the switchbacks pretty quick towards the Maples Trail. As I rounded a corner I saw a mountain lion in the trail. I hit the brakes and skidded to a stop as it jumped off the trail and headed down the hill. It had only been about 20 feet from me, and if i hadn't hit the brakes I probably would have hit it. Lol. I slowly, and cautiously walked by and didn't see it. So I hopped back on my bike and continued on down the trail. Well the trail switchbacked and wound its way right back to the mountain lion again. I came about 20 feet from it once again. It saw me and did a 180 and headed back up hill. My dog was close by this time and saw the cat and started to follow it. Luckily she listened to me when I called her and she came back. That was not one fight she would be able to win. So it turned out to be a pretty awesome ride. It sure got my heart pumping. There seems to be a pretty good concentration of wildlife in this particular area. That was almost the exact same spot that I saw a black bear last fall.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've heard them scream and have seem tracks up there but have never seen one. That's wild that you saw one. They usually aren't seen unless they want you to see them, much less twice.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    That is wild!!! Good thing your dog listens to you.
    Chere'

We had a great ride. We didn't see any mountain lions, but we did see our fair share of horses. I have hunted mountain lions for 5 years straight and the only time that I have seen them was when we had dogs with us. You were lucky to have seen one.

I was hoping to see a couple of cougars tonight

Yeah sorry we were so late, this time we had a valid excuse. Dave was driving us down the freeway when he gets pulled over. Shawn and I successfully sneak our seatbelts on

It turns out the cop was tag teaming drivers with another officer that would radar them, then report to his bud which vehicle to pull over. AND... he pulled over the wrong vehicle. He told Dave he caught him going 77 MPH but Dave had his cruise set at 65. We were all witness to this but the cop wouldn't talk to Dave with us all there so he asked him behind the vehicle to continue the conversation.

And... he was "caught" going that fast at a spot prior to where we even got on the freeway! The jerk would not believe Dave, telling him "Bullsh*t, you did NOT get on the freeway in Roy", I mean whaddaya do when the cop pulls over the wrong vehicle and you have 3 witnesses that can testify entering the freeway completely out of range from where the officer had his radar gun.

After wasting out time for 45 minutes, he finally lets us go stating his "ticket printer was not working so he can't print a ticket". He absolutely would not give in to the possibility that he dun goof'd up.

So that's why we were late. Anyways, this thread is about Mountain Lions

7. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Totally awesome. That is one critter I want so bad to capture photos of but have had no luck. Time for this roadie to get the mountain bike out and head up there with the camera gear.
    Exercise is the elixir of life!

10. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSpecialized View Post
    pictures or it didn't happen....:D
    I got a video of Dave arguing with the cop, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I was hoping to see a couple of cougars tonight

AND we do need video of Roscoe the cop...

Roscoe the dbag. I was with them.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post

AND we do need video of Roscoe the cop...
    I'm afraid that would be leaking sensitive information to the terrorists

Lucky...

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    After wasting out time for 45 minutes, he finally lets us go stating his "ticket printer was not working so he can't print a ticket". He absolutely would not give in to the possibility that he dun goof'd up.
    You are lucky. The cop that pulled me over when I wasn't speeding wrote the ticket anyway and the judge wouldn't even listen to me.