Thread: 6/9/12 - Eardley Canyon

Blog Entries

6/9/12 - Eardley Canyon

From my friend Jeff - if you want to see what the Swell looks like in "dry" conditions.

"
    Chase and I went down to the Swell the second weekend of June 2012. The Swell has been very dry this year and most of the fun water canyons don't have much water. I thought it would be a unique experience to do Eardley when it is dry (or at least very low water).

It is a super fun canyon when there is tons of water!
    It was a long and hot hike to the canyon. It took us about 8 hours 2 minutes to do the whole canyon from car to car. Total distance was 8.07 miles with 3007ft elevation gain.

The first pool of water for some relief was a little more than half way down the canyon. The water was pretty warm for canyon water and there was about 4 pools that you could actually jump into with only 2 mandatory rappels being the first and last rappels. It was about 95 degrees that day and we had a nice breeze which was nice.

I had forgotten how tiring this canyon is with all the sand slogging, elevation gain, elevation loss (800ft in 20min), boulder hoping, and more sand slogging.

We brought a 100ft 8mm rope as all the rappels are 50ft or less. It was a fun experience but I think I'll stay out of the swell until it fills up again ;)"

BTW - don't watch it embedded (too small due to the new Bogley upgrades) - watch it in fullscreen!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. Likes canyonguru liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ok, so that video was a lot of fun but.... Eardly is about on the bottom of my canyon list as the bang for buck ratio is not good, meaning not much bang for the buck you have to pay to get to the good stuff in the video. Just my little ole opinion.
    Life is Good

Way cool video i love the fast forward parts. Never been to the swell looks like a fun place.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Ok, so that video was a lot of fun but.... Eardly is about on the bottom of my canyon list as the bang for buck ratio is not good, meaning not much bang for the buck you have to pay to get to the good stuff in the video. Just my little ole opinion.
    Very true!

Apparently we are masochists.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru View Post
    Way cool video i love the fast forward parts.
    Agreed! Wish more people would ff through parts of their vids

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Apparently we are masochists.
    I hear ya, my buddies and I are too. Two of us were down in North Wash this past weekend Wasn't bad at all, the temps were lower than norm and the wind was very nice.

Cool video.
    We are headed to the North Wash on Wednesday and I'm expecting it to be hot but when you want to canyoneer what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexico View Post
    Cool video.
    We are headed to the North Wash on Wednesday and I'm expecting it to be hot but when you want to canyoneer what do you do?
    Didn't intend to derail, but I'll finish with this... the biting flies were bad so make sure you bring lots of DEET and light weight long sleeve/pants for around camp. I tried out my new shemagh (arab scarf) and it worked AMAZINGLY. Dry, it would keep the sun off you and kept me cooler than without, and before leaving camp I'd soak it with water, stash it in my pack and would throw it on when I started sweating on the approach. That alone was great, but then when the wind would pick up it'd be like instant air conditioning.

Thanks for the heads up on the biting flies.

Looks like a fun canyon once you're in it. I might be tempted to brave the slog and elevation
    - Gavin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk View Post
    Looks like a fun canyon once you're in it. I might be tempted to brave the slog and elevation
    If you can brave the temps and sand, wait until it rains in the Swell than Eardley isn't so bad. But like Scott said there are better bang for buck canyons. However, if you have never done it - at least try it once (IMO).
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

From my friend Jeff - if you want to see what the Swell looks like in "dry" conditions.

BTW - don't watch it embedded (too small due to the new Bogley upgrades) - watch it in fullscreen!
    Cool video.

BTW...the videos are the exact same size as they were before the upgrade. Unless you are on a smaller monitor, then they will scale smaller. If you want it bigger you can always hit the "full screen" button on the bottom right of the video or visit YouTube of course.

14. Likes optikal liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Cool video.

BTW...the videos are the exact same size as they were before the upgrade. Unless you are on a smaller monitor, then they will scale smaller. If you want it bigger you can always hit the "full screen" button on the bottom right of the video or visit YouTube of course.
    Nah man, definitely smaller. It's almost as if the right side of the site takes up more room - thus reducing the video aspect ratio to fit the window.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

If you can brave the temps and sand, wait until it rains in the Swell than Eardley isn't so bad. But like Scott said there are better bang for buck canyons. However, if you have never done it - at least try it once (IMO).

Any idea how much rain it takes to make it worth it?

I can't think of any amount of rain that would make me want to go back. Eardley, glad I did it but likely I will never do it again.
    Life is Good

Nah man, definitely smaller. It's almost as if the right side of the site takes up more room - thus reducing the video aspect ratio to fit the window.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I've got access to the old site and new site and they are the same on my screen.