Thread: Black hole of white canyon 6/7/12 and 6/8/12

Black hole of white canyon 6/7/12 and 6/8/12

A friend and I went down to take two friends for their first canyon experience down to the Black Hole. We left the Ogden area in the morning and picked up the friends in Orem. We started the canyon a little after 1pm. We were disappointed to to find new rock carved graffiti in a few spots including "No Diving" scraped at the entrance of the first swim. The water levels have gone down maybe 6" or so since our visit at the end of April. The water is still very nice, a little chilly (full wet suit is needed), and the only soupy section is an optional swim. We exited the canyon around 9pm, which gave us plenty of time to goof around. The plan was to get up early on friday and do the canyon again. The two new guys wimped out saying they were too tired, but my canyon experienced friend and I went anyway. We started a little after 6am and were packing the car by 11am. Everyone had a blast and we thought we made it through injury free until one of the new guys told us he had re-broken his wrist....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pics? Or it didn't happen.
    Sounds like fun, one day I'll get down there.

Cheers

How'd he break his wrist?

Was his wrist limp to begin with?

6. Likes Cr8on liked this post
    wrist was from just a simple slip and fall... here are some pics from april...Name:  GOPR1233.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  66.0 KBName:  GOPR1242.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  69.5 KBName:  GOPR1255.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  59.6 KBName:  GOPR1270.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  51.4 KBName:  GOPR1325.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  45.5 KBName:  GOPR1328.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  33.2 KBName:  GOPR1401.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  76.2 KB

Nice! This one is on my list. Great photos

Does anyone know how late the Black Hole will hold enough water for it to be a blast? I was hoping to do it at some point this season but believe I missed the optimal window? What about going right after a big rain storm in say, August or September?

Quote Originally Posted by optikal View Post
    Does anyone know how late the Black Hole will hold enough water for it to be a blast? I was hoping to do it at some point this season but believe I missed the optimal window? What about going right after a big rain storm in say, August or September?
    I have never known the Black Hole not to be filled with long swims, even in July of hot dry years.... but dang... this year might be the dryest I 've seen in a long time so who knows..... When the summer monsoons hit southern Utah the Black Hole is normally filled as the drainage consists of a massive catch basin, the problem with moonson season is it can take flash floods 24 hours to reach the Blach Hole so know what happened near Natural Bridges (30 miles east) the day before.