Thread: Zion Canyoneering - "Last Minute Drawing" notes

Zion Canyoneering - "Last Minute Drawing" notes

Hi y'all

Having used the Last Minute Drawing (LMD) system a few times now, I have some comments:

A - It is a huge improvement over the prior system (FCFS, BC desk sleepovers, etc.) - kudos to the park for implementing a better way so quickly.

B - Of course, I DO have nits to pick:

nit1 - You may apply for the LMD only after ALL online reservations have been taken. In my case, the aim was to enter the drawing for Behunin for two people, but because there was one (1) reservation still open, the LMD was closed for that resource. If I really, really, really had wanted to do Behunin, I could have taken that last reservation, thus enabling the LMD for the second person, fingers crossed to win. This would have cost $5 for the reservation, $5 for the LMD entry, and $10 for the permit itself (if we had won the lottery), for a total of $20 and extra red tape for two people to do Behunin.

nit2 - The park charges $5 for the LMD, and they also charge $5 for online reservations. Shouldn't the LMD fee be less than that or (ideally) zero?

I heard from a park "insider" that they are working on resolving these issues. The goal is to fix issue #1, and to eventually have the $5 LMD fee deducted from the permit cost. Looking forward to that.

FYI

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zion permits.......

Edit: Thanks for the update Hank. This system is getting down right confusing.
    Life is Good

The LMD is better than standing in line. I just scored Mystery for Saturday without having to wait in line for 12 hours. I think it is trying to be made into a better system, by as with any government agency any kind of change is painfully slow

6. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    The LMD is better than standing in line. I just scored Mystery for Saturday without having to wait in line for 12 hours. I think it is trying to be made into a better system, by as with any government agency any kind of change is painfully slow
    WAY better than the line standing system. I also recently got a Mystery permit w/o hassle. Two thumbs up for the new system. They will be way up when these issues are resolved. Note that one of the issues I mentioned means the LMD is not always available. It will prolly always/mostly be available for Mystery due to high demand.

I just scored zero permits in the LMD out of three tries.... ouch...

You've been hanging with Mr. Card too much Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I just scored zero permits in the LMD out of three tries.... ouch...
    So far 2 subways, A pine and a mystery. I won't complain about it

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Cop View Post
    You've been hanging with Mr. Card too much Shane
    ON THE LIST!!!

Life is Good