Thread: Flash flood in North Wash

Flash flood in North Wash

I am new to both this forum (hence the delayed post) and canyoneering, but am really enjoying both since building a second home in Bluff.

I thought some of you might be interested in this video I shot last year. My wife and I were driving up North Wash when a thunderstorm hit the upper end. We quickly drove back down stream and waited for the show.

David

2. Likes ratagonia, blueeyes, jbick liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That's pretty cool! What a sight!

Blog Entries
    very cool! I love the zoom in around 2:00 and seeing the torrent around the one corner and dry around the next.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Welcome to bogley.........

WAY COOL VIDEO!!!!

Thanks for sharing..

That is amazing. You are fortunate to witness such an event, especially from a safe distance. I remember the first major flash flood I ever saw, it was in Wahweap and afterward, my dad measured the depth of the empty wash bottom and it was around 10 feet deep. Definitely left a lasting impression and respect for flash floods. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks.... and welcome to bogley

Awesome video!

Nothing like watching a flash flood. Glad you could see this in person. They are awesome.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Nothing like watching a flash flood. Glad you could see this in person. They are awesome.
    Hmmm..watching one from afar might be nice, Mr Card, they are not quite so "awesome" when they take your house and livelihood away.

UK not very long ago:

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Very cool! Love your wife's reaction.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Hmmm..watching one from afar might be nice, Mr Card, they are not quite so "awesome" when they take your house and livelihood away.

UK not very long ago:

From Dictionary.com--

Awesome: inspiring awe: an awesome sight

Awe: an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration,an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc., produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful, or the like:, etc.
    The point was that I have seen flash floods in person. They inspire a sense of reverence for the power of the thing, the fear of the thing and the gratitude that I am not in the thing. You see, Rob, I raise the average age around here. "Awesome" in my world is not "like totally awesome dude - that is so cooool." "Awesome" means just that -- I am in awe of the flash flood.

One more edit. I didn't mean to offend. I am sorry when life and property is lost in any kind of natural disaster. But again, that is also an awesome sight.
    Life is Good