Thread: Mailing a Stove

Mailing a Stove

I am getting ready for my yearly visit to the Zion area. This year I will be doing my first Utah overnight hike in Escalante in Coyote Gulch. I have been doing some overnight trips around my area in Florida, but this will be my first trip where I have to fly my gear out. Getting on my plane with my stove and an empty fuel bottle in checked luggage is going to be an iffy situation if there is even a whiff of fuel anywhere (I know I could clean it, but not well enough to satisfy some TSA). Does any one know if the post office in Springdale holds packages for hikers the way that some do that are near long distance thru hikes like the Pacific Crest Trail or the AT? I guess I could just call the post office to find out, but I thought I would check with the Bogley crew first. You may have a better idea. I don't really want to rent a stove when I reach Utah...I find myself weirdly attached to my own gear.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That's one of the reasons I switched to iso-butane stoves long ago. Of course, you could just buy an new bottle in UT, plus that would give you a reason to stop by the Desert Rat in St. George
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

cartridge stove. problem solved.

If you want to mail it to me I will have it held at the desk of the Cliff Rose Lodge in Springdale, my friends family owns it, or you could pick it up from me in St George.

Thank you so much for the offer, Dman, but I didn't want to burden anyone with my stove.... I ended up calling the post office in Springdale, they will hold it for me for 30 days. I'm curious Ststephan, is there any difference between cooking with the butane than white gas? Does the butane last as long as white gas? (cook time?)

The new generation of isobutane stoves, like Jet Boil are very efficient and high BTU output. I love them. No more messy fuel leaking out of the bottle. I was always sure to get a blast of fuel on my hands after a day of gaining altitude when I opened the bottle to attach it to the stove. It does take a little experience to know how many person-days you will get out of a canister. I once pushed that too far and on the last day of a trip my wife threatened to have me hike to the TH pre-dawn to ensure she had coffee in the morning! Thankfully I was able to eke out 2 cups of coffee to get us moving again.

Anyway, I'm sure you would be happy with one if and when you make the switch. Of course, you have a working stove now so it may not be a big problem. But if you do a lot of backpacking trips which involve flying to get to your destination I think you will be glad you made the switch.

Nice to know about the Springdale PO holding stuff for 30 days. That could come in handy. These days with the fees the airlines charge to take your bags it might be better to send duffle by post!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"