Thread: $35 Canyoneering Backpack

$35 Canyoneering Backpack

I "canyonized" a couple backpacks for my girls yesterday. I picked up the packs for $30 at Wally-World and a large grommet kit for $5 in the fabric department.

Total investment in the packs is $35 each.

Name:  pack1.jpg
Views: 1833
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  pack2.jpg
Views: 2224
Size:  68.3 KB

Name:  pack3.jpg
Views: 1922
Size:  62.5 KB

I might need to add a few more grommets, but that would require anther trip to Wally-World so I thought we would try the packs out this week and see how it goes before adding more grommets.

2. Likes jeremy1701, jbick, Cr8on liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice, now you just need a sewing machine to sew in the Imlay Canyon Gear logo on them
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I might need to add a few more grommets
    Wow, really? It looks like a heaping scoop of grommets with a light dusting of backpack to me.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Wow, really? It looks like a heaping scoop of grommets with a light dusting of backpack to me.
    Haha. Yeah, I had a backpack of that brand that I took through about 6 canyons in North Wash. I should post pictures, it is hilarious the amount of holes in the thing. It went through shenanigans recently and my dry bag literally fell out of the bottom. I will have to take a picture of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-wild View Post
    Haha. Yeah, I had a backpack of that brand that I took through about 6 canyons in North Wash. I should post pictures, it is hilarious the amount of holes in the thing.
    North Wash is a major gear eater... it takes some precautions to get your gear to last in the skinnies. These packs are too large to last in NW but they will work great in Zion rap-n-swim kiddie canyons where we are heading next.

8. Likes hank moon liked this post

My fiance bought one of those packs and it has worked great for her so far. We haven't done anything skinny with it yet, but it's comfortable and I think the handle on the back there is really useful. She hasn't put grommets in it yet but means to soon.
    --Cliff

I also "canyonized" my bag. I modded my old Gregory Forester hiking bag with grommets to allow water to flow out for my Silver Grotto trip. The grommets worked really well and were very easy to install. It actually looks pretty cool when they're all draining at the same time.

Name:  398291_4025669559713_1992152349_n.jpg
Views: 1780
Size:  60.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701 View Post
    It actually looks pretty cool when they're all draining at the same time.
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    North Wash is a major gear eater... it takes some precautions to get your gear to last in the skinnies. These packs are too large to last in NW but they will work great in Zion rap-n-swim kiddie canyons where we are heading next.
    That is very true. Shenanigans took it's tole....

That is super cool Shane!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I was at Harbor Freight the other day and saw this kit. It happens to be on sale now for $4 but even at full price, which is only $8, it's still a great deal. I found the grommet kit at Wally World as Shane suggested and I probably spent $15 or $20 on grommets and the kit to canyonize 4 packs. The WM grommets only have I think 10 and the HF has enough to do 50.

I took my canyonized pack through the Upper Black Box and everyone got a kick out of the 5 streams of water pouring out the bottom as I came up on shore and wished they had done the same to theirs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/103-pie...kit-30037.html

Name:  image_17602.jpg
Views: 1399
Size:  78.1 KB

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    I was at Harbor Freight the other day and saw this kit. It happens to be on sale now for $4 but even at full price, which is only $8, it's still a great deal. I found the grommet kit at Wally World as Shane suggested and I probably spent $15 or $20 on grommets and the kit to canyonize 4 packs. The WM grommets only have I think 10 and the HF has enough to do 50.

I took my canyonized pack through the Upper Black Box and everyone got a kick out of the 5 streams of water pouring out the bottom as I came up on shore and wished they had done the same to theirs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/103-pie...kit-30037.html
    The hole punch with these kits is usually pretty lame, so replacing with a separate punch in the right size, if you are doing a bunch, is often a good idea. Cutting on ldpe works well. hdpe tends to be too hard.

Helps to smear the fabric with shoegoo or aquaseal (and letting it cure, 2-3 days) on the fabric before cutting holes.

Tom

17. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    The hole punch with these kits is usually pretty lame, so replacing with a separate punch in the right size, if you are doing a bunch, is often a good idea. Cutting on ldpe works well. hdpe tends to be too hard.

Helps to smear the fabric with shoegoo or aquaseal (and letting it cure, 2-3 days) on the fabric before cutting holes.

Tom
    Great advice. But what's "ldpe"?

Also, how are the grommets and the other forming tools?

Tom
    Great idea. Why I've never done this before is beyond me. Thanks for another great tip Tom!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Great advice. But what's "ldpe"?

Also, how are the grommets and the other forming tools?
    Low Density Polyethylene - white plastic sheet, usually a dullish finish.

These Grommets and forming tools are pretty good. I use them myself. Not pro quality, but pretty good.

Also, to punch holes in the bottom of a pack (or ropebag) I use a log from the logpile to form a solid anvil to cut the holes against, and to pound the grommet.

Of course, you could just buy a canyoneering pack... available again very soon at a dealer near you.

Tom

Low Density Polyethylene - white plastic sheet, usually a dullish finish.

Of course, you could just buy a canyoneering pack... available again very soon at a dealer near you.

Tom
    OK, I figured it was some kinda plastic, but not sure which, thanks for the clarification.

Yea, got my eye on a Kolob, but I'm holding out 'til you bring the red ones back Ha Ha J/K.

Seriously though, I have a few other necessities to buy first, but then I would like to upgrade to a real canyon pack (Kolob) in "whatever" color you have. But like Shane, I might have to get some others for the kids and punch the holes myself.

Re: $35 Canyoneering Backpack

But like Shane, I might have to get some others for the kids and punch the holes myself.
    I actually tried to buy my kids some Imlay packs but Tom was out.... so that is why I made these.

The homemade packs work well and they were cheap.... but they are not in the same class or of the same quality as Tom's Imlay packs.

Sent using Tapatalk

23. Likes ratagonia, Sandstone Addiction liked this post

$35 Canyoneering Backpack

Sweet post & idea. I tried to get my wife an imlay bag and had the same problem, I'm going to use this idea with scouts and other high adventure groups.

Thanks for sharing !!

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeC View Post
    Sweet post & idea. I tried to get my wife an imlay bag and had the same problem
    Imlay stuff is back in stock, FYI.