Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canyon Rescue Course

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by BW123 View Post
    Could you also post your canyoneering resume?

BW
    - Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post

I'll let others speak to this but this course sounded like it was designed for a different purpose. As I heard it, the tripod was brought out the last day to give the participants some exposure to heavy rescue. The course was more of a rapid response, in-canyon techniques....but again, I wasn't there. Also, how many SAR guys in the Swell, North Wash, Robbers Roost, Lake Powell area know this stuff? I'll stick my neck out a bit but my understanding is that there are precious few. Do you have a problem with Rich or with the content of the training?

This could be a good place to start this discussion....

Is it better to get people out of a canyon using what you know and have with you or split the group and call SAR???

I'll start. It seems if you can safely get the victim out using what you have, including the totum, I would think it the best of all worlds to not call SAR. It seems that learning the skills taught in this class would perhaps relieve SAR from a lot of calls or at least put a couple more skilled people in the position to assist SAR if needed.
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by BW123 View Post
    Could you also post your canyoneering resume?

BW
    Name:  images.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  8.7 KB
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

My apologies...I should have included additional information with the photos. My goal in posting photos was to show some of the cool things fellow canyoneers are out doing. When I teach avalanche safety courses we often share the fact that many backcountry skiers/boarders/snow machiners aren't willing to spend the time learning rescue skills as they'd rather be out pursuing their activity...so they possess a high degree of skills to pursue their activity though this sometimes plays against them placing them in even deeper doo doo...with no skills to self-rescue. Hats off to all the canyoneers seeking to develop rescue training skills so that they might one day be in a better position to help themselves or someone else out.

Please be careful in critiquing what you see in the photos...different scenarios were presented which required response. The use of the rescue tripod was largely to provide a simple intro to the tool...most canyoneers won't be packing the device. I appreciated the practice with this tool...certainly demonstrated the large amount of friction rope incurs traveling over an edge if you don't have it. Bringing a patient up and over an edge is also much simpler with the tripod. Rich was very clear in describing the continuum of rescue efforts in a canyon...the activities we engaged in were not necessarily designed to make us expert in NFPA technique...though my interest is now piqued in this type of training...a good outcome I believe.

As for Rich's experience others have nicely described his qualifications. I seem to remember Rich sharing that he has trained with Reed and the "Ropes that Rescue" crew.

My bottom line: No one appreciates the skills and training of individuals more than those on the receiving end...kudos to the men and women, you as well Bootboy, willing to sacrifice their time and monies to help out people in need. Some do the training as part of a job...others volunteer...either way I'm grateful for your efforts. I hope all canyoneers will seek additional training...with these skills we may be able to provide rapid lifesaving response or simply avoid having to call up Search and Rescue and putting their lives at risk. Rich does a great job...having taken his course I feel I can recommend it... but there are certainly other fine organizations out there providing quality training.

Best wishes!

sk

8. Likes restrac2000 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by kugath View Post
    My apologies...I should have included additional information with the photos. My goal in posting photos was to show some of the cool things fellow canyoneers are out doing. When I teach avalanche safety courses we often share the fact that many backcountry skiers/boarders/snow machiners aren't willing to spend the time learning rescue skills as they'd rather be out pursuing their activity...so they possess a high degree of skills to pursue their activity though this sometimes plays against them placing them in even deeper doo doo...with no skills to self-rescue. Hats off to all the canyoneers seeking to develop rescue training skills so that they might one day be in a better position to help themselves or someone else out.

Please be careful in critiquing what you see in the photos...different scenarios were presented which required response. The use of the rescue tripod was largely to provide a simple intro to the tool...most canyoneers won't be packing the device. I appreciated the practice with this tool...certainly demonstrated the large amount of friction rope incurs traveling over an edge if you don't have it. Bringing a patient up and over an edge is also much simpler with the tripod. Rich was very clear in describing the continuum of rescue efforts in a canyon...the activities we engaged in were not necessarily designed to make us expert in NFPA technique...though my interest is now piqued in this type of training...a good outcome I believe.

As for Rich's experience others have nicely described his qualifications. I seem to remember Rich sharing that he has trained with Reed and the "Ropes that Rescue" crew.

My bottom line: No one appreciates the skills and training of individuals more than those on the receiving end...kudos to the men and women, you as well Bootboy, willing to sacrifice their time and monies to help out people in need. Some do the training as part of a job...others volunteer...either way I'm grateful for your efforts. I hope all canyoneers will seek additional training...with these skills we may be able to provide rapid lifesaving response or simply avoid having to call up Search and Rescue and putting their lives at risk. Rich does a great job...having taken his course I feel I can recommend it... but there are certainly other fine organizations out there providing quality training.

Best wishes!

sk
    Well stated.
    Life is Good

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    I know BootBoy has a lot to offer the canyoneering community. Unfortunately his style so far has been kinda feisty... reminds me of a certain Emporial dude... which hasn't helped people listen to what he has to say.

Free advice - worth every penny -

BootBoy - lighten up. People will be more able to listen to what you have to offer, once they get to know you. Do some canyons, post some trip reports, develop some cred.

Everyone Else - let's cut him some slack. yeah, he elbows his way into the key like Karl Malone, but it looks like he has considerable background in arbor science and SAR, so he probably has some good idea.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Everyone Else - let's cut him some slack. yeah, he elbows his way into the key like Karl Malone, but it looks like he has considerable background in arbor science and SAR, so he probably has some good idea.
    Yeah, can't wait for the new rope and pack lines to come out...

Ha ha!

Edit to add: I've climbed and skied with GTNP rangers too. Just wanted folks to know.

Oh, and I watched a huge rescue off the Grand a couple years ago.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Edit to add: I've climbed and skied with GTNP rangers too. Just wanted folks to know.

Oh, and I watched a huge rescue off the Grand a couple years ago.
    U

da

man!