Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adidas Hydro Pro

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

Adidas Hydro Pro

First trip out with these, I had some concerns and addressed them.

#1- Is the shoe comfortable
    This shoe felt very good after the first few miles of hiking, I had installed a custom orthotic, wore a polypro sock first, then a 3mm neoprene sock.
    It seemed to need no break in period, it was as comfortable at the end of the day as the beginning. My foot is a size 10, I ordered an eleven and was hesitant to use because it was a bit to big, with the above set up it was fine.

#2-Sticky.
    In the canyon on downclimbs it seemed o.k., stemming and bridging it held but wasn't impressive. I slowly started testing it's grip on steeper inclines and it held up well and was actually quite sticky. At the end of the day, we hiked a fair section of the narrows and this is where the shoe really shined, it easily was more sticky on slimy bowling ball type river rocks than the 5-10's.

#3-Durability.
    I was mean to these shoes, I toe jammed and wedged this shoe in many differing ways, trying to cause some abrasion, it would seem I failed. I can hardly find any marks or scuffs on the shoe. Most of the stitching is recessed and I can see no abrasion on the stitches.

#4--Water draining/sand infiltration.
    There are no drains on this shoe but drainage was never a problem. At the end of the day, I took these shoes off and removed both insoles and there was a small amount of sand in each, I give this a thumbs up over the 5-10 canyoneer.

One day in a canyon does not define a shoe by any means but I admit to being a bit impressed at this point.

oops--forgot to add pics from after day 1.

Also--all reference to 5-10 here is the canyoneer model only.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Is there an online store that sells them? Can't seem to find anything on google.

What's the price on these bad boys?

I believe Bo is selling these.

I got a bit of a deal on them buying direct.

I think I saw a retail of $175, I would guess this is a bit on the high side and would look for retail to settle in around the $150 mark to compete with the canyoneers.
    But thats just my opinion, which with $6 gets you a cup of Starbucks coffee,I've been told..

Eeh......I will wait a little while for more feedback before purchasing a shoe of that cost. If it holds up to abuse they will be worth it but I am not willing to invest that much in a shoe for right....especially because I am mostly looking for a rafting/canyoneering crossover shoe for our Grand Canyon trip next year. Missing my pro deals now that I am a simple peon that only gets out occasionally for canyons

bummer they have zippers - likely an early problem area in desert use

THX for Info, Kurt.
    In April, this shoe wasn't on the market. I needed waterboots for Kanarra Creek, Buckskin Gulch and Paria River. I bought the 5.10. They are cheaper than the Hydro Pro.
    Hydro Pro costs in Germany ca. 200 USD, 5.10 ca. 140 USD.

The foot bed of the 5.10 isn't so comfortable for me. My orthopedist has made a pair of anatomic insoles for me. The 5.10 are now pretty good. I hiked down the Paria Canyon from the confluence to Lee's Ferry, w/o any problems.

Back to the Hydro Pro. I had the hands on this shoe in Bo's store. A really nice shoe.

Here are some info about the Hydro Pro and a review in German - plz use a translator.

The zippers and the speed lacing system seem like recipes for a quick death in the desert.....I have never had a pair of shoes with speed lacing or the ever popular shoe lace in fabric eyes last very long around here. Will be interesting to hear about the longevity of this new approach.

Thanks for sharing. Maybe by the end of the season I will know wether or not to by them for next summer.

PS....I am guessing I will likely buy a nice oar instead for the same price but one never knows and a good pair of shoes can be a life saver.

I believe these shoes were tested extensively in Europe.

As most of us know--we have situations that are somewhat different on the CP.

Yes, I agree, it will be a nice test to see if they out perform the canyoneer over an extended period..

Quote Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
    The zippers and the speed lacing system seem like recipes for a quick death in the desert.....I have never had a pair of shoes with speed lacing or the ever popular shoe lace in fabric eyes last very long around here. Will be interesting to hear about the longevity of this new approach.

Thanks for sharing. Maybe by the end of the season I will know wether or not to by them for next summer.

PS....I am guessing I will likely buy a nice oar instead for the same price but one never knows and a good pair of shoes can be a life saver.
    Seeing the quick lace system made me worry a bit, too. I used to have shoes with one of those and I loved the shoes, but hated the laces. I do, however, wish the canyoneer had some kind of lace system, because it's hard to get it tight enough across the toe.
    --Cliff

Rented these for the week at Zion and liked them better than the 5.10s. A little pinching at my toes on extended hikes such as Englestead and Narrows top down, but I can't imagine any shoe being perfectly comfortable after 12 hours of hiking.

I did like that it sealed up and didn't let sand in. Also, if you just hit some shallow water, or are in and out of a pool of water real quick the feet never get wet. It seems to have nice bit of a seal. Also, as far as laces, I like these better than the 5.10 buckles. They always seemed to be in the way for me.

Still not the perfect shoe for me with the restriction in the toes for me. So not worth buying. ZRMG was selling them for about $150 but at the time had put all their inventory into rentals.

I would say worth renting and trying out before you buy something else.

If the euros are trashing the shoe on limestone and granite, it does not bode well for us on sandstone. Look's like multiple problems, inside and out, seems best to let these evolve a season or two, and see if adidas is on top of their game enough to make changes in the design and construction and make these quite a bit more bomber, before they're ready for taking on the CUP.

Quote Originally Posted by rick t View Post
    If the euros are trashing the shoe on limestone and granite, it does not bode well for us on sandstone. Look's like multiple problems, inside and out, seems best to let these evolve a season or two, and see if adidas is on top of their game enough to make changes in the design and construction and make these quite a bit more bomber, before they're ready for taking on the CUP.
    I guess the astute would notice the link was to prototype, ie--prototype 1 and 2, testing. The shoe I now have is the production version.

I actually viewed this test as having mostly positive results, afterall, in the final comments they did state that it was the best canyoning shoe out there...seams were the only real issue after 25 canyons.

My Keen Oregons didn't even make it through 2 dry canyons...

I want a pair, I'm just waiting for a retailer close to me to start stocking them.

One MAJOR flaw I see is no drainage.

Everything else I love about them.

#5 - Is the shoe sexy and enhances my style when posing for pictures?
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    #5 - Is the shoe sexy and enhances my style when posing for pictures?
    It depends...will the rest of your outfit also be made of the same sleek orange material, quick-lace systems, and zipper enclosures?

Quote Originally Posted by msmnificent View Post
    It depends...will the rest of your outfit also be made of the same sleek orange material, quick-lace systems, and zipper enclosures?
    Unfortunately not, it's 100% neon green teflon and latex.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.