Thread: Old Snowbasin Road Conditions.

Old Snowbasin Road Conditions.

For all the roadies like me that prefer the solitude of the Old Snowbasin Rd over Trappers Loop I thought I'd post about the current conditions. The road is still damaged and closed to vehicles from the Wheeler Canyon parking lot to the lodge. That makes for nice riding. The damage section that was there all last year before Wheeler Canyon has been fixed. As usual when you are coming down the fast curvy descent to Wheeler Canyon there is a lot of loose gravel on the pavement so use caution. None of the damaged road in the closed out area has been fixed yet. But the large amount of washed out dirt about a mile and half in is gone. As is most of gravel up near the top that was a problem last year. There is only one section of broken road that I dismount on and a more daring roadie could ride that crack in the road also. It's just about a 2 inch drop and more than I want to subject my wheels/tires too. Finally all the gravel right by the barrier at the entrance to the lodge is pretty much gone also. One of the barriers was turned sideways yesterday so I could ride right by versus dismounting as I did all of last year.

I've yet to descend on this road though so I can address this aspect of the conditions. I love speed and always fly back down Trappers Loop as fast as I can. Winds were not favorable yesterday so I only got to a little over 49 mph. Trappers is in great condition with only one patched area as you bottom out into the Ogden Valley.

Crazy hot yesterday afternoon on the ride. Had already done Monte Cristo and was 53 miles into the ride before I started up the road. The shade on the upper half was very welcomed.
    Exercise is the elixir of life!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I drove over trapper loop yesterday at around noon. My truck said that the temps were 75 degrees. I saw 6 or 7 roadbikers. Too far for me to ride, I will stick with mountain biking my short mileage trails.

Yep, I was riding up around 5 pm. Bike computer read as high as 93 but it's usually high by about 5 degrees. I started around 1 but wish I had began sooner.

I was up in that area on Wed. I started from Mt. Green, rode up the "new" Snowbasin Rd then down the old one.

Since the old road was still closed, I was concerned there might be debris or other issues so I descended cautiously. Good thing, as those nasty pavement sections still came up pretty quickly! Yes, it is possible to skirt around them without dismounting. But the helpful arrows and other markings spraypainted on the pavement aren't as obvious when you're descending.

I had planned to do the loop back to Mt. Green. But after getting to highway 39, I decided to do a U-turn and go back up to Snowbasin and back to Mt. Green the way I came. Maybe next time I'll actually do the whole loop!

I guessed the old Snowbasin road wouldn't be open on June 1, though that's what the sign at top said. I wonder if it will be fixed anytime soon? I kinda like it without vehicles.

I like it closed also and with the poor economy suspect they won't get funds to fix it this year either.