Thread: Upcoming report/photos - Zion May 2012

Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar

Upcoming report/photos - Zion May 2012

Ahoy the forum!

I and fellow-Bogleyite maarten.1975, have just returned from a fun-packed Zion trip:

May 22nd: Pine Creek.... and then Keyhole at night
    May 23rd: Das Boot/Subway
    May 24th: Behunin
    May 25th: Mystery
    May 26th: Spry
    May 27th: Hidden Canyon (from the top down)
    May 28th: Birch Hollow (and back up Orderville)
    May 29th: Echo
    May 30th: Pine Creek (once more... with feeling!)
    May 31st: home to Europe and back to the office

We stayed true to our 'one technical canyon per day' objective. After the first few days the legs stopped complaining and did the hikes in/out on autopilot: certainly no troubling falling asleep at the end of each day. We took suits for Pine Creek, Das Boot and Echo. It was a chilly day in Spry due to strong winds, but all the rest were hot, hot, hot.

I learned my ankles hate hiking in the Five Ten Canyoneer SAR version; had to hike out the Subway in my Neosocks... I did the remaining days in a pair of Merrell Maipo Waterpro shoes, which were fine apart from slightly less sticky rubber when wet. I'll invest in a pair of Savants before the next trip.

No dramas, apart from narrowly missed treading on a rattlesnake at the foot of the final Behunin rap... just great long days in sublime canyons and great company too.

More soon, with pictures....

Michael.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hey Michael,

How was that Hidden Canyon for the top? I'm headed to Zion next week and was wondering if I should put it on my list.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_WB View Post
    Ahoy the forum!

I and fellow-Bogleyite maarten.1975, have just returned from a fun-packed Zion trip:

May 22nd: Pine Creek.... and then Keyhole at night
    May 23rd: Das Boot/Subway
    May 24th: Behunin
    May 25th: Mystery
    May 26th: Spry
    May 27th: Hidden Canyon (from the top down)
    May 28th: Birch Hollow (and back up Orderville)
    May 29th: Echo
    May 30th: Pine Creek (once more... with feeling!)
    May 31st: home to Europe and back to the office

We stayed true to our 'one technical canyon per day' objective. After the first few days the legs stopped complaining and did the hikes in/out on autopilot: certainly no troubling falling asleep at the end of each day. We took suits for Pine Creek, Das Boot and Echo. It was a chilly day in Spry due to strong winds, but all the rest were hot, hot, hot.

I learned my ankles hate hiking in the Five Ten Canyoneer SAR version; had to hike out the Subway in my Neosocks... I did the remaining days in a pair of Merrell Maipo Waterpro shoes, which were fine apart from slightly less sticky rubber when wet. I'll invest in a pair of Savants before the next trip.

No dramas, apart from narrowly missed treading on a rattlesnake at the foot of the final Behunin rap... just great long days in sublime canyons and great company too.

More soon, with pictures....

Michael.
    Ahoy!

Wow, that is a pretty good week! Way to get out the day after the Boot! We know that pack isn't a light one coming up and out of the Subway. We all slept until noon the day after we did the Boot, strong work!

Looking forward to the pictures...
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ocanler View Post
    Hey Michael,

How was that Hidden Canyon for the top? I'm headed to Zion next week and was wondering if I should put it on my list.

Thanks
    I'm not Michael, but I did not think it was a very good canyon when it is hot out. While running north, it is not deep enough to be in the shade.

Tom

Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ocanler View Post
    Hi,

The hike in is a pleasant amble; we had two cars, so left a vehicle at the East Rim TH and took the Cable/Deertrap Mountain approach trail. Once in the canyon there are some interesting features and pretty scenery; progress is quicker by downclimbing obstacles rather than setting up rappels for the various 15-20ft drops. It has a very backcountry/wilderness feel to it, but eventually you will hear and then meet hikers coming up from the main canyon.

Hidden Canyon (from the bottom) was the first trail I ever hiked in Zion, so it has a kind of sentimental value for me, but as Tom says, it wouldn't be top of the list on a hot day due to lack of shade. That said, avoiding the initial hike up from Weeping Rock takes the main strenuous element out of the route; we viewed it almost as a 'rest day' in our otherwise somewhat intense itinerary

Should it be added to your list? Personally I would rate it in the lower 3 of the 9 canyons on our schedule, and for many of the others it was not my first descent either (Mystery, Pine Creek, Subway, etc). Perhaps if you already have some big days planned (Behunin, Spry?), then it could provide some variety.

Cheeers,

Michael.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_WB View Post
    Should it be added to your list? Personally I would rate it in the lower 3 of the 9 canyons on our schedule, and for many of the others it was not my first descent either (Mystery, Pine Creek, Subway, etc). Perhaps if you already have some big days planned (Behunin, Spry?), then it could provide some variety.

Cheeers,

Michael.
    It is very nice as a fall canyon, and in the spring/winter if there is no snow.

Tom

Wow that's a ton of canyons. Can't wait for the pics

Hello all of you, I

Awesome! Glad you guys got so much in while you were here. I always try to plan too much and then my group reminds me that we probably won't end up doing 5 canyons in 3 days.
    - Gavin

Wow what an aggressive schedule! But you made the most of your vacation right? I also do not like hiking in the 5.10.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.