Thread: Floating to the waterfall, South Fork of the Snake

Floating to the waterfall, South Fork of the Snake

OK, this is shaky enough to make you a bit sea sick, but you will still see the awesome falls one can float to on the upper section of the South Fork.

2. Likes restrac2000 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That's really cool. What part of the snake is that? By that I mean what town is it closest to?

Nice video. This section of the South fork of the Snake river is my favorite. Nearest town is Irwin, Idaho about a 45 minute drive East of Idaho Falls, Idaho. There is a smooth dirt road that takes you right to the falls. During the summer a lot of locals camp there and hike around the falls. One of my favorite spots to fish is directly across from the falls. How was the fishing ? I will probably be floating that section the weekend of June 15th.

RF

I just posted a river report in the fishing section. Unbelievably the water is low and clear RIGHT NOW. I was with my 14 yr old and even a man of my exceptional skill can't row and flyfish at the same time. I did pull over at the secret location and hooked one after about 5 casts. I then had another for about 2 seconds, but netted neither. I was trying to show my boy the nymphing ropes but he was more interested in trying out our new video camera that can go underwater. We pulled up and headed out after a short time as this ended up a scouting trip. I have my kids wait until they are about 14 to learn to flyfish and this is his year; but i am going to wait for the dries so that he doesn't have to learn to cast and nymph at the same time. However, i did see some 112 year old guy that could barely cast hook up twice with a streamer so i think they would be the thing right now. The float got me ready for the season (once again I seldom even touch the river until after the 4th of July) and a friend and I planned on going today on an actual fishing trip. We woke up to some thunderstorms and it was forecast to get worse and very windy in the afternoon so we didn't head out. Dumb move as it actually improved all day.

I think mid June would be excellent for a large pteronarcys nymph on a dead drift. If you are a spin guy the lures will be excellent with the clear water.