Thread: Uintas and Wind Rivers Openings

Uintas and Wind Rivers Openings

It's that time of year again.

When do you think the roads and trails will open for the Uintas and the Wind Rivers?

That's four questions all balled into one.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mirror Lake road is open

Trail openings?

I didn't know trails ever closed. A few weeks ago I backpacked into the Uintas to Naturalist basin. Just search for the trip reports. There are a few reports of trips into the Uintas posted over the past few weeks.

I didn't see a drop of snow at 10,600 feet this past weekend in the Uintas. And the snow looked pretty light and spotty on the higher peaks.

I just got off the phone with the Duschane ranger district. I was asking specifically about the Hades Pass/Granddaddy Basin area. They believe the road to the trailhead is clear, and they will have trail crews checking the trail over the pass this weekend. Looks like we're going to get an early season in the High Uintas this year.

Anyone know what the conditions are in the Winds? I had a trip scheduled for the end of July but since it has been a mild winter I think I am going to move it up to the first week of July. Here is the info I have been able to scrape together. As near as I can tell from poking around on the web the Winds are over a month ahead of schedule for melting out. Earlier this winter looks like the Winds snow pack was about 70% of average. Also from what I have gathered the snow pack dropped pretty fast this spring and for May it had dropped to around 55-60% of normal. Anyone have any additional or more accurate info?

One article said it was one of the lowest snow years in recorded history. I'm dying to get up there. Anyone planning any trips any time soon?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnrunner View Post
    Anyone know what the conditions are in the Winds? I had a trip scheduled for the end of July but since it has been a mild winter I think I am going to move it up to the first week of July. Here is the info I have been able to scrape together. As near as I can tell from poking around on the web the Winds are over a month ahead of schedule for melting out. Earlier this winter looks like the Winds snow pack was about 70% of average. Also from what I have gathered the snow pack dropped pretty fast this spring and for May it had dropped to around 55-60% of normal. Anyone have any additional or more accurate info?
    According to my contact in Pinedale the Wind River Range still had an average snowpack this winter despite what we have seen here in Utah.

Not sure about the Winds, but the Utah snow is melting VERY fast.

Here is links to some of the info I found. Everything I have seen indicates a low snow pack.
    http://county10.com/tag/wind-river-basin/
    http://dailyranger.com/story.php?story_id=1112

Look at the snowtel data in this thread and compare it with this years. Big difference.
    http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/sno...ns-t61684.html

Today's snowpack summary:

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/snotelanom/basinswe.html

Looks extremely low to me.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnrunner View Post
    Where in the Winds are you headed? Stream crossings are common and that often is the big issue with snowpack/runoff in the Winds.

UTJetdog - I'm doing a loop in the southern Winds taking in Cirque of the Towers via Texas Pass, Lizard Head Trail, Valentine Lake, Grave Lake, Haily Pass (I think), some off trail stuff around Pyramid Lake then back to Big Sandy. Hopefully I got all the names right, don't have my map in front of me.

Anyone know what the mosquitoes are like near Mirror Lake late June? Thinking about going this weekend.

Shan--they're getting pretty bad. But I guess "bad" is a very relative term. They don't seem to bother some people as much as others. Went down the Highline Trail and stayed at Jean Lake last weekend, and at times they were bad enough to keep us in our tent during the afternoon. Not the worst I've ever experienced, but they certainly left their mark.

We hiked in through the Crystal Lake trailhead yesterday and the mosquitoes were horrible. Some of the worst I have ever experienced. Once I slapped on some repellant (with 100% deet), they were annoying but not biting anymore. The fishing sucked though.

I hiked in at the Crystal Lake TH Friday and did not think they were too bad, especially compared to last year. Bring some deet and a head net and you will be just fine.