Thread: Goblin's Lair, Zero Gravity 5/28/12

Goblin's Lair, Zero Gravity 5/28/12

Laura and I made a last-minute trip to the Swell Sunday afternoon. Camped at Wild Horse TH just off Behind-the-Reef road. A morning visit to the Goblin's Lair was very cool. After lunch we headed to Zero G. I didn't realize how short it was, about two hours round-trip. We really enjoyed this short canyon but can see how much better it would be full of water. Only the second and final pools have water. The kph was dry and we would both like to be referred to as "gifted climbers" now per Shane's reference:The pothole can be defeated solo by a gifted climber.

The final section of the narrows was really nice, including the exit chockstone obstacle. One of us went over, one under. I wouldn't call myself a "large framed canyoneer" but it seemed prudent to go over. Good times!

One interesting (disappointing) thing: there is a piece of climbing pro in the left wall above the exit chock, head high when standing on the stone. The group ahead of us used it to rap that drop, completely avoiding the chockstone/bombay/squeeze obstacle and the final swim. Maybe it's still there from the recent boy scout rescue? Left there for the next time someone gets stuck? I didn't have any tools or would have chopped it.

Sorry no pics, someone left the camera in the truck.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We went in there (ZeroG) this past Friday and didn't notice the climbing pro. I recognized the keeper pothole from a video, but didn't think it was bad at all. It was incredibly windy that day and the sand was coming down on us like rain. Agreed that it would be better with lots more water. We both went under the chockstone (very tight squeeze) and went double strand. I had to equalize the rope lengths during the rap by tying off the short end when I got to it. First time I've ever had to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    The kph was dry and we would both like to be referred to as "gifted climbers" now per Shane's reference:The pothole can be defeated solo by a gifted climber.
    The KPH pothole is a little more difficult to escape when filled with water and the walls are covered with slippery moss.... the biggest problem when it is filled with water is you can't see the footholds required below the surface of the waterwater.

So what you're saying is we are not gifted climbers.