Thread: Englestead Hollow - Orderville Gulch

Englestead Hollow - Orderville Gulch

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman]Two friends and I did Englestead Hollow out Orderville on 5-27-12. I had put in for 6 different canyons on the last minute drawing and did not get any. Then I ask what they had available for a permits. Englestead was on the list and I had read about it but it was not on the top of my to do list. So I took it and I
    Attached Images Attached Images              

2. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I went down on the 19th and replaced some webbing and several quick links as well as cut out some gratuitous webbing and bogus anchors. Looks like the water in the pool on rap 4 has dropped considerably. When we did it, it was right to the lip of the pool. Was the ice in the pothole ledge still there on rap 1?

I agree, excellent entrance to orderville.
    Good times. Cheers.

5. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    No ice on ledge just cold water. Still some snow in the front corner.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hikster11 View Post
    ... Had a little trouble finding the drop in point and some major bush whacking...
    Using what beta?

When we did it, we had a little trouble as well.

Tom, I had your book and though your directions are reasonably well written, it's the maze of roads and atv trails that complicate things, not bad beta. Anybody could write beta for the approach and it could be easily misread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    When we did it, we had a little trouble as well.

Tom, I had your book and though your directions are reasonably well written, it's the maze of roads and atv trails that complicate things, not bad beta. Anybody could write beta for the approach and it could be easily misread.
    Well, I am working on a 2nd edition, and I do want it to be as clear as possible. One reason I like the approach from the North Fork Road is that the approach is easy to describe and easy to follow. The approach from the Ponderosa is very hard to describe and very hard to follow.

So let me ask the question very specifically -

1. What was your source of beta?
    2. Did you take the N Fork road approach or the Ponderosa approach?
    3. What happened?

Any other spots in The ZBook that people have problems with, this would be a very good time to bring it up.

Tom

We approached from the pondie. Unfortunately, we did enough wandering around that it's hard for me to add any clarity to the existing beta.

I was using Shane's beta. I have never had any problems with his beta. I would say it was my own fault because I put in the GPS coordinates for the first drop and headed that direction. We got dropped off at the East Mesa trail head and followed a ATV track for a bit. We went about a 1/2 mile too far down the canyon. Once we got into the trees my GPS could not get a good signal. From there we followed the ridge up canyon. It took us an extra hour to find our way.

Quote Originally Posted by hikster11 View Post
    I was using Shane's beta. I have never had any problems with his beta. I would say it was my own fault because I put in the GPS coordinates for the first drop and headed that direction. We got dropped off at the East Mesa trail head and followed a ATV track for a bit. We went about a 1/2 mile too far down the canyon. Once we got into the trees my GPS could not get a good signal. From there we followed the ridge up canyon. It took us an extra hour to find our way.
    If you follow my directions, you do not need a GPS, and you are less likely to get lost.

Jus' sayin'...

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    We approached from the pondie. Unfortunately, we did enough wandering around that it's hard for me to add any clarity to the existing beta.
    From the pondie is very hard to describe. I think it is easier from N Fork, and the total time from (wherever) is very close to the same. If you are fetching a vehicle, the total time is less, from the N Fork road. Yes, the walk is a few minutes longer, but the drive is a few minutes shorter, and you do that part three times, usually.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    1. What was your source of beta?
    2. Did you take the N Fork road approach or the Ponderosa approach?
    3. What happened?

Any other spots in The ZBook that people have problems with, this would be a very good time to bring it up.
    I used your book to do Englestead last year. I entered at the North Fork Road option. I did not have any problems whatsoever, info was sufficient. I used the canyon head rap in point, based on your beta and found it a great way to descend that long drop. Course, I haven't done it the other way, so cannot compare...

More feedback. I plan on doing Hidden Canyon, top down, next week. I am finding the info in your book on that one to be somewhat exiguous. However, the map from your web page will be invaluable. Thank you.

Kerry
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

Quote Originally Posted by taatmk View Post
    I used your book to do Englestead last year. I entered at the North Fork Road option. I did not have any problems whatsoever, info was sufficient. I used the canyon head rap in point, based on your beta and found it a great way to descend that long drop. Course, I haven't done it the other way, so cannot compare...

More feedback. I plan on doing Hidden Canyon, top down, next week. I am finding the info in your book on that one to be somewhat exiguous. However, the map from your web page will be invaluable. Thank you.

Kerry
    Thanks Kerry.

I'd hate to take ALL the adventure out of it for you...

Tom