Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Shoe for Canyoneering

I was doing a canyon on The Big Island (Hawaii) about 3 years ago in Chacos because it was all I had. I was fine until a pointed stick stabbed me between my big toe and the next one over. Nasty puncture wound. Nearly trashed the rest of the vacation.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

the old chacos were pretty good - esp. the ones w/5.10 dot rubber on 'em. The new ones are made in China and blow. they have never been lightweight and your big toe WILL get severed (or punctured).

:)

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    the old chacos were pretty good - esp. the ones w/5.10 dot rubber on 'em. The new ones are made in China and blow.
    sadly

they have never been lightweight and your big toe WILL get severed

:)
    oh yeah, forgot about that one

I know I said i retired from canyoneering barefoot... however, anyone wanna take me canyoneering barefoot in Utah, or anywhere? I think i wanna start a trend.

I have been canyoneering twice in a pair of closed-toed chacos. Great grip, not so great ankle support, but overall I'd say it's a lot better than running shoes or whatever else I used on my first canyons. Having said that, my 5.10s were one of the best purchases I ever made.

Have one friend who swears by his five toe shoes down most canyons. Not for everyone, and not for me, but I guess everyone has their preference.

He generally brings a real pair of shoes along but sometimes never switches. Mystery canyon never switched. Narrows top down, switched about half way.

These seem like a legit option for those who like VIbrams and want to stay warm in the cold water too. http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...-Flow-Mens.htm

Quote Originally Posted by rurri View Post
    Have one friend who swears by his five toe shoes down most canyons. Not for everyone, and not for me, but I guess everyone has their preference.

He generally brings a real pair of shoes along but sometimes never switches. Mystery canyon never switched. Narrows top down, switched about half way.
    I've been out with folks who started a trip "swearing by" and ended "swearing at".

Those stunt shoes offer no net advantage over "real" shoes in CP canyons, with several disadvantages: low level of protection and support with very poor traction on sandy slickrock. The wearer is at a significant disadvantage in certain conditions. Yukky.

I wore them in Escalante last year and had great traction with them. You can feel everything and grip very well with them. The disadvantage I see being walking over lots of mid sized rock (anything over an inch but under about two inches). I did not wear them this year in the Cedar Mesa area and I think that was a wise choice.

I've been out with folks who started a trip "swearing by" and ended "swearing at".

Those stunt shoes offer no net advantage over "real" shoes in CP canyons, with several disadvantages: low level of protection and support with very poor traction on bare, sandy rock. The wearer is at a significant disadvantage in certain conditions. Yukky.
    When I got my first pair of Vibram Fivefinger Sprints they performed beautifully on E. Zion slab climbs; most notably South Ariel Peak and Lead by Sheep on Aires Butte. I figured that since I had such good luck with them on slabs (smearing) I'd give em' a shot at a canyon!? West Fork Fat Mans seemed like a good trial! They performed great.......until I got into the bowells of the canyon. You mention support...well they didn't need any support in the soft sand, but I got support for all ten toes as soon as the wet sand made it's way into each and all 10 toe pockets. It felt like my toes were impacted and couldn't budge, sort of like an individual cast for each toe! Really irritating and uncomfortable. I had to take the shoes off a minimum of 10 times to swish the sand out of the toe pockets. If you think putting on the Fivefingers with dry, warm feet is difficult, try putting them back on when your feet are wet and super cold! When I got to the East Fork and had to walk downstream to the exit, it was miserable walking on the submerged river talus. Conclusion....I won't be using them for canyon hiking again.

Speaking of sandals in canyons; my first trip in Heaps a long time ago (2-day backpack) was done in a pair of Tevas (flip-flop style) with the ankle strap that I resoled with five-ten climbing shoe rubber. They were GREAT with the exception that I couldn't use a sock of any sort and my feet friggin' froze.

Speaking of which, my La Sportiva Xplorers are performing and holding up amazingly! I'm lovin' them! So far I've only put on maybe 30-40 miles, but they have excelled in all attributes. Red Mountain, 5 miles of 3rd and a small bit of 4th class scramble. Taylor Creek 6-7 miles of mostly trail with a bit of scrambling above and beyond. South Guardian Angel, 12-14 miles of trail, major bushwack, 3rd and 4th class scrambling. Northgate Peak East, North Guardian Angel, Subway. 3rd and 4th class scrambling, bushwack, swimming, wet slickrock, deep sand hiking. The shoes havent lost their shape or support or stickiness and dont even have a single thread broken or snag in the fabric. They look and feel brand new with minimal wear in the tread. I've been wearing them at work almost every day as well. Anyone teatering on a decision to get a pair; I personally have very high praise and endorse these great shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Anyone teatering on a decision to get a pair; I personally have very high praise and endorse these great shoes.
    Sadly, I haven't done much teatering lately

But hey hey! The real question is: how do they stack up to the good ol' Exum Pro?

But hey hey! The real question is: how do they stack up to the good ol' Exum Pro?
    Night and day! Much better fit, much less sand migration, much tougher (so far), and much stickier rubber (wet and dry surface). At a price though...Late Exum Pro-$95, new Xplorer-$120.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Of course teatering requires a teat, just sayin'

But I must admit--teatering on an edge sounds dangerous, might need to wear a helmet.

Any thoughts on the Canyoneer II ?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    Any thoughts on the Canyoneer II ?
    The 5.10 Canyoneer II is the gold standard of canyoneering shoes. It has been discussed at great length on this forum. Some people love it, some people loath it. They work well for wet canyoneering, but it takes considerable knowledge to use them effectively.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    The 5.10 Canyoneer II is the gold standard of canyoneering shoes. It has been discussed at great length on this forum. Some people love it, some people loath it. They work well for wet canyoneering, but it takes considerable knowledge to use them effectively.

Tom
    The words are mostly ok, but need re-arranging and supplementation:

The 5.10 Canyoneer II may be the gold standard of wet canyoneering shoes if you love taking the time and effort to find a size that works with neoprene socks or special socks (cuz they don't work well with just any sock system) and if you love the unpredictable quality, sand-ingression mesh and eventual permanent sand ridges that form inside the shoe. And if you install a decent sock liner or orthotic and don't mind the straps breaking long before the shoe is worn out.

After you accept all that, it may be the gold standard for wet canyoneering shoes that is generally available in the U.S. market and doesn't cost an arm and leg to import/try from Europe where there are many other choices on the market.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    The words are mostly ok, but need re-arranging and supplementation:

The 5.10 Canyoneer II may be the gold standard of wet canyoneering shoes if you love taking the time and effort to find a size that works with neoprene socks or special socks (cuz they don't work well with just any sock system) and if you love the unpredictable quality, sand-ingression mesh and eventual permanent sand ridges that form inside the shoe. And if you install a decent sock liner or orthotic and don't mind the straps breaking long before the shoe is worn out.

After you accept all that, it may be the gold standard for wet canyoneering shoes that is generally available in the U.S. market and doesn't cost an arm and leg to import/try from Europe where there are many other choices on the market.
    Yeah, what he said....

YMMV

T

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    They work well for wet canyoneering, but it takes considerable knowledge to use them effectively.
    Didn't know wearing a pair of shoes was akin to rocket science or brain surgery.

Have always preferred anything but. Still likin' my Exum Rivers...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Didn't know wearing a pair of shoes was akin to rocket science or brain surgery.

That was my thought too. To what, Oh Emperor, are you referring?
    Life is Good